Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Games where the clubs history pivoted into a different direction

Simple, what games can you think of where the clubs course or fate seemed to change for the better or worse.

Obvious example is the sheffield united cup game. But my pick is the palace home game in 12/13 and in particular BWPs disallowed goal when he was clearly onside. We was well on top and think we would have have gone on to win, had the rest of the season gone the way it did, we would have made the playoffs, and not them and who knows what would have happened.

Comments

• Options
    Play off final(s)
  • Options
    QPR few seasons ago, Jacko's last minute winner was the springboard for our survival that season.
    (A temporary delay granted!)
  • Options
    To a lesser extend last weekend vs Bristol Rovers

If we'd lost the mood would have been entirely different. I know a good start is essential but moreso than ever this season. Hopefully it's the start or something
  • Options
    Yep throw in but they took a free kick !! And scored.
  • Options
    I wonder if the 5-3 Sheffield United hammering we took at home when Zabeel were apparently watching put them off finalising a takeover.

Still, I console myself by remembering we probably would never have had a pitch side sofa or pie came had we become the richest club in the world a decade ago so every cloud.
  • Options
    Bradley Wright-Philips having a legit goal disallowed against Palace in 2012. They had set up to defend and play for a draw, they nicked a goal and sat back all game. Our goal is allowed and they would have had to come at us which would have left them wide open for a battering.

The win for them arrested an abominable run of form and turned them round. The cocksuckers were playing premier league football the following season
  • Options
    We got relegated from the old second division in 1972. I always thought one misplaced kick finally sunk us. Home to Leyton Orient that Easter, we conceded a disastrous OG and lost the match. From memory I believe it was a long range back pass from Shipperley that sailed into our net. At the start of the next season. Our first in the third division since the 1930s, half the crowd seem to have disappeared and as we all know, the low spot of our career came with the 3,001 attendance one night against Halifax.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That Fulham game in our last season in the Prem.
    We should have won. Bad refing and bad luck. I knew we were down after that.

I think this was truly a pivotal game!
  • Options

'88 at Chelsea
  • Options

In hindsight it probably wasn't. I remember looking at our opening fixtures and thinking they looked tough and together with a new manager, players and others leaving we were struggling from August.
    But that Fulham game removed most belief, for me, that we could stay up and I think it was natural to look to the ref and other reasons for our demise.
  • Options

It may have seemed that way at the time and from my memory it did. But in fact that match took place in December so there was still plenty of time to pull things around. As late as August we got up to 17th place so we could have done it. Taking four points from our last seven games is what sealed our fate. Bloody Pardew.
  • Options
    Swindon L1 play-off... had Bailey scored that penalty, had we gone up a season or two earlier
  • Options

Yep throw in but they took a free kick !! And scored.

Not just that, El Karkouri headed his clearance from the free kick into the back of Hermann's head (or the other way round, I'm not willing to check) and it fell to Quedrue to score. Really did knock the stuffing out of us. The commentators said Steven Pressley was watching the match and was lined up to come in at a time when a new decent centre half really would have helped us out and there was a real feeling that we could beat Fulham, get in the right kind of player to keep us up and put the bad post-Curbishley bit behind us. Instead we drew, Pressley never came in, we signed fecking Bougherra and Thatcher instead and we've never recovered.

Having said that, I got the belief back when we wanged West Ham 4-0 with Curbs in the opposition dug-out. That felt like a real turning point, and we won two of our next three. Unfortunately we then spectacularly shat ourselves, dropping points against Reading, Sheffield United and Blackburn who we could have beaten. Actually, I've made myself really depressed; even with our total dumpster fire of a season we had so many opportunities to keep ourselves up.

I would also like to offer Norwich 1-0 Charlton in League One. We absolutely belted them and they won 1-0 anyway. The only reason that result was allowed to stand was because they didn't test to see if Fraser Forster was a witch. After that match I just knew some Charlton-y bullshit was going to happen to stop us going up. That final match where we were briefly second? Knew it would never last. That second leg where everything leaned towards us murdering Swindon? Knew something ridiculous would happen (Hi Miguel!) And then penalties. There wasn't even any point once it went to penalties. I couldn't even really be angry at Nicky Bailey because once the planet decides to turn on you you never had a chance anyway
  • Options
    Some great shouts here, especially around some of the overlooked games, esp that Bolton one 83-84...a real chance we could have gone under the next season had we lost that game...

I'm going to throw in our 1-0 home win against Palace in 74-75. We were Div 3 promotion rivals that year, but Palace had the big crowds & ALL the publicity (Malcolm Allison as manager) - it was assumed they will go up. We, on the other hand, had endured an awful five years, but were at last reviving. That win, to me, signalled that we had the quality & resiliance to prevail - and we did. It signalled that we were not permanently consigned to being Palace's inferior (with 25,000+ in The Valley that night)

And for the first time since 1947 we had something to celebrate at the end of the season, and showed the world that we were not necessarily in terminal decline.
  • Options

Some great shouts here, especially around some of the overlooked games, esp that Bolton one 83-84...a real chance we could have gone under the next season had we lost that game...

I'm going to throw in our 1-0 home win against Palace in 74-75. We were Div 3 promotion rivals that year, but Palace had the big crowds & ALL the publicity (Malcolm Allison as manager) - it was assumed they will go up. We, on the other hand, had endured an awful five years, but were at last reviving. That win, to me, signalled that we had the quality & resiliance to prevail - and we did. It signalled that we were not permanently consigned to being Palace's inferior (with 25,000+ in The Valley that night)

And for the first time since 1947 we had something to celebrate at the end of the season, and showed the world that we were not necessarily in terminal decline.

And Killer got the winner.
    And no TV cameras or Brian Moore sucking up to Allison this time
    And Allison never did pay up the £400 he bet Nelson that they would go up and we wouldn't
    And Killer got the winner - I love you mate for nights like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Simple, what games can you think of where the clubs course or fate seemed to change for the better or worse.

Obvious example is the sheffield united cup game. But my pick is the palace home game in 12/13 and in particular BWPs disallowed goal when he was clearly onside. We was well on top and think we would have have gone on to win, had the rest of the season gone the way it did, we would have made the playoffs, and not them and who knows what would have happened.

Didnt Hamer come up for a corner right at the end and hit the crossbar with a header?
  • Options
    our 4-1 home victory against Chelsea in the early noughties ..Parker ran the show ,Chelsea bought our best player just to stop him playing for us rather than have him playing for them ...i think Curbs lost his appetite after that and apart from a glimpse of sunlit uplands under SCP its been a bit depressing ever since
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Whatever game clinched our promotion in '85/'86.
    I think if we'd gone to Selhurst and stayed a Div 2 team it would have been the end of us

Edited for complete accuracy
  • Options

The Leeds relegation play off Triple header must be up there.

I dread to think what would have happened to club if Shirtliff hadn't scored those 2 goals.
  • Options

Yes - and Lisbie missed a sitter late on, away at Watford a few games before.
  • Options

. That second leg where everything leaned towards us murdering Swindon? Knew something ridiculous would happen (Hi Miguel!) And then penalties. There wasn't even any point once it went to penalties. I couldn't even really be angry at Nicky Bailey because once the planet decides to turn on you you never had a chance anyway

We were lucky to get away with a single goal deficit from the first leg though. Swindon were far better and should have scored more, our goal was lucky because of a huge goal kick landing infront of their keeper and Burtons head!

We did batter them in the first half of the second leg though, we should have scored more then the 2 we managed.

I think we would have lost to the spanners at Wembley though, which would have been horrible. Maybe Swindon did us a favour!
  • Options
    Stig said:

It may have seemed that way at the time and from my memory it did. But in fact that match took place in December so there was still plenty of time to pull things around. As late as August we got up to 17th place so we could have done it. Taking four points from our last seven games is what sealed our fate. Bloody Pardew.
    Yes there was plenty of time, but it felt pivotal at the time. And that is why I think it was. We can only speculate what would have happened next, but confidence does play a part in football - so it isn't a ridiculous view.
  • Options

Whatever game clinched our promotion in '85.
    I think if we'd gone to Selhurst as a Div 2 team it would have been the end of us

er...we did go to Selhurst as a Div 2 team... but i get what you mean, we couldn't stay that way. But was there one pivotal game? Maybe the first one, 2-1 win, I can't begin to categorise what my emotuins were that day...all ove the place i think
  • Options
    On a positive note, 1988 Battle of the Bridge, the draw that kept us up and eventually sent Chelsea down.

At that point, if we had been relegated and been playing second division football at Selhurst, our whole future could have been in jeopardy
  • Options

Bolton at home in, I think, 83/84. Whoever lost would be relegated to division 3 and given our off pitch issues in that era, would have been catastrophic.
    From 1 down we won 4-1 and within a couple of seasons Lennie came in and division 1 followed.

That was 1982/83 season, the same year we briefly had Simonsen. Lennie had just started as manager, taking over from Ken Craggs earlier that season.