Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the worst you have ever seen Charlton play?

edited August 2017 in General Charlton
For me, 26th December 1989 V Wimbledon at Plough Lane.....lost 3-1.....woeful beyond belief.
Travelled back from ooop north early that morning to witness a performance that was without doubt the most disgraceful 90 minutes from a Charlton side I have seen in my 60 years of support.
Never seen a team so disinterested or apathetic in all my life, be it Charlton or anyone else come to that. Wimbledon weren't that much better either and didn't have to do much to score their 3 goals if I remember rightly. Still makes me wince in pain some 28 years later whenever I think of it!
What made it worse is that I could have (and indeed should have), stayed an extra day at my sisters with the rest of the family.

Comments

• There must be a similar thread way down CL.
  • Watford 5-0 Charlton was so bad it was almost funny.
    Charlton 0-1 Bristol City a few years ago was one of worst matches i've ever seen, 2 terrible sides.
    The first half of Charlton 2-3 Norwich was dire as well.
    Can't forget the infamous defeat to Northwich Victoria, Randolph kept the score only being 1-0. To a non league side. Non league.
  • Luton away losing 7-1
  • edited August 2017
    A home match to Brighton or shef wed in the championship, can't remember which one but we lost I think 4 or 5 nil and it wasn't that we just played poorly, the whole team played like they couldn't give a toss and it was just completely depressing.

Also shef united in Cup Powells last game, but we all know the circumstances over that one.

A couple of away matches to Fulham have been pretty shoddy too.

Edit: also forgot the away 5-0 to Watford. That was the first time I realised our club was being destroyed by our owners. The Chantelle of we want our Charlton back at the final whistle was very sobering I recall. I remember thinking 'we really are in the shit'.

• Sheffield United away in the cup, Powells last game - when alllll this crap started.
  • West Ham away Boxing Day 5-0 in the Prem was pretty bad and Stockport away 3-0 in the play off year was none too pretty either. Interestingly though, Curbs shuffled things around after both these games with immediate effect.
  • edited August 2017

I missed the Fraeye laundry basket Huddersfield match, but had the dubious pleasure of seeing the grim Colchester and Hull defeats before and afterwards...

But saying that, the most depressed I've ever been after a Charlton match was the 5-0 Watford defeat the season before, that was truly awful.

I can't think of anything of the top of my head that matches that, though I'm sure there must have been some shockers in the Pardew/Parky relegation season (the 5-2 Sheffield United match for example)

Two of the above do it for me.

Sheffield and Hull.

Although the last couple of years in the premiership saw teams go through our defence like a knife through butter.

I seem to recall Man United beating us 4-0 at The Valley when we could easily have been done 7 or 8-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• A home match to Brighton or shef wed in the championship, can't remember which one but we lost I think 4 or 5 nil and it wasn't that we just played poorly, the whole team played like they couldn't give a toss and it was just completely depressing.

Also shef united in Cup Powells last game, but we all know the circumstances over that one.

A couple of away matches to Fulham have been pretty shoddy too.

Edit: also forgot the away 5-0 to Watford. That was the first time I realised our club was being destroyed by our owners. The Chantelle of we want our Charlton back at the final whistle was very sobering I recall. I remember thinking 'we really are in the shit'.

It was Brighton.
  • Wycombe under reed
    Colchester under freye
  • Wycombe cup game takes some beating.

1-6 at home to Leeds

4-1 at Everton. @Clem_Snide and I left 5 mins in to the 2nd half.
  • edited August 2017

For me, 26th December 1989 V Wimbledon at Plough Lane.....lost 3-1.....woeful beyond belief.
    Travelled back from ooop north early that morning to witness a performance that was without doubt the most disgraceful 90 minutes from a Charlton side I have seen in my 60 years of support.
    Never seen a team so disinterested or apathetic in all my life, be it Charlton or anyone else come to that. Wimbledon weren't that much better either and didn't have to do much to score their 3 goals if I remember rightly. Still makes me wince in pain some 28 years later whenever I think of it!
    What made it worse is that I could have (and indeed should have), stayed an extra day at my sisters with the rest of the family.

I went to that game - we were embarrassing I also went to the game there the season before when we lost 4-1.
  • Special mention to the 6-1 drubbing by Leeds in 2003.

Charlton 0-3 Preston 2015 most left backs on a pitch I've ever seen.

Middlesbrough 2-0 Charlton 2006

Charlton 0-1 Wycombe 2006

Charlton 2-5 shef Utd 2008

Charlton 1-3 Barnsley 2008

Hull 6-0 Charlton 2016

Hudds 5-0 Charlton 2016

Watford 5-0 Charlton. 2015

• There was a game against Liverpool which Mark Lawrenson said was the worst performance by a premiership team he's ever seen. That was pretty awful, but I'm sure I've seen worse... When we lost to Preston at home in the league cup springs to mind
  • Watford away 5-0. It could have been ten.
    I bought three tickets for that game and then on the morning of match told my daughters not to bother coming and to do something enjoyable instead. Good call.
  • Rotherham at home early 80s. May have been under Ken Craggs management, possibly his last game. Anyway we got beat 1-5 and were an embarrassment.
  • Notts county at home in 2012 we was 0-4 down at half time, think we was top of the league by 15 points at the time too.
  • How long have you got?

4-0 defeat at Millwall was really bad... the 6-1 scoreline against Leeds was awful but dont really remember the performance

We'll have to have individual performance threads for players based on this type of question next
  • Sponsored links:

• Wycombe under reed
    Colchester under freye

Exactly the same for me....Wycombe, the attitude was all wrong. They simply couldn't be bothered.

Colchester was abysmal...all 11 players had the worst game of their lives.
  • Which era?

Post Selhurst 1-6 home to Leeds
    Burnley (pardew) Doncaster/MK Dons/Blackpool(Pardew), Forest (Pardew/Hasselbaink) Northwich/Huddersfield/Yeovil/Wycombe/Walsall/Sheff U (Pardew), Sheff U and Reading (Less Read)
  • Too many.
  • Wycombe under reed
    Colchester under freye

these 2 + Northwich
  • Wembley v Blackburn Rovers. 29/3/87. Full Members Cup Final. Charlton support was woeful and the team was bloody awful. Disgrace.
  • Bury away last season was woeful

That 4-0 at millwall was the most depressing game I have ever experienced

The hammering at spurs under Les Reed deserves a special mention, that was completely inept
  • Getting spanked 7-0 away to Burnley back in the early 80's . I think Killer got sent of as well
  • Daggers away a few years back, Powell inherited the team, seriously bad, I honestly think that if they had given me a go I could have done better, and if anyone on here had ever seen me play football, then you would have an idea how awful it was, truely shocking!
  • I fear the interweb does not have the capacity to cope with this thread.
  • Pretty much every game live on telly in the last 10 years.