Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 fixed or replace with a cheap Chinese Android?

Wifey's Galaxy S5 has got a cracked LCD.
It will cost NZ$220 to have fixed.
I can get a new Xiaomi Redmi 4X 4G for NZ$175.
http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_625024.html?wid=4

What should I do?
Wife just wants a reliable phone, not slow and with a great camera.
As the Galaxy S5 is from 2014, I'm just wondering if a newer Chinese Android would be the move forward, if we're looking at the same price range?

Comments

• edited August 2017
    Don't think it's worth spending that amount of money on fixing a phone released in 2014, especially when you could buy a brand new one for only a small amount more than it will cost to fix the screen.

Even if you don't end up with a Xiaomi, I would definitely suggest checking out some of the newer chinese models. They're a lot more reliable than many people think and have some impressive camera and processor specs, comparable to well known Samsung/Sony models.

Other names to check out would be OnePlus, Honor, Huawei... I'm sure people will have others in mind as well.
  • I'm hardly an expert but really glad to know Chinese smart phones are doing well overseas. Samsung seems to have gone downhill ever since the battery issues last year. The political scandal has been a huge problem for them too. Samsung used to be one of the two most popular foreign smartphone brands here in China, the other one being Apple. But now almost no one around me uses Samsung anymore... It's either iPhone or Chinese products like HUAWEI(Honor) or Xiaomi etc.

And I agree with Callum that spending so much in fixing an old phone is not worth it, not to mention it's a release from three years ago.
  • Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Very very keen on the Xiaomi Redmi 4X 4G.
  • I have the Redmi 4x, it's a really, really nice phone, especially for the price.

I've been using XiaoMi's for years, their Android software is really good and I'm not sure you'll find a better camera in the price range.
  • I've got the Xaomi Note 4... It's really good, but the OnePlus phones are different gravy
  • CAFCsayer said:

I've got the Xaomi Note 4... It's really good, but the OnePlus phones are different gravy

I bet the OnePlus is great, but it's also at a completely different price point.
  • I just got a Huawei Nova. Design feels premium, very happy with it but camera is probably just good rather than great.
  • I got a Samsung J5 last month - and its rubbish. It has a mind of its own, plays random noises - drops into random apps, and even answering the phone is problematic.
  • I got a Samsung J5 last month - and its rubbish. It has a mind of its own, plays random noises - drops into random apps, and even answering the phone is problematic.

funny as both my wife and I got one a few months ago and no problems at all, think it's very good for the price we paid. sounds like you have a dud, I'd go back to the retailer with it.

• Sponsored links:

• Danepak said:

Wifey's Galaxy S5 has got a cracked LCD.
    It will cost NZ$220 to have fixed.
    I can get a new Xiaomi Redmi 4X 4G for NZ$175.
    http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_625024.html?wid=4

What should I do?
    Wife just wants a reliable phone, not slow and with a great camera.
    As the Galaxy S5 is from 2014, I'm just wondering if a newer Chinese Android would be the move forward, if we're looking at the same price range?

order a new screen and fix it yourself, absolute piece of piss to do on a galaxy
  • FYI, if you do get a XiaoMi, I'd get a screen protector (they cost about a quid here) as the screens are not the most durable!
  • edited August 2017

FYI, if you do get a XiaoMi, I'd get a screen protector (they cost about a quid here) as the screens are not the most durable!

Ordered the phone yesterday. Wifey wants a purse for the phone. Will get her the screen protector too.
  • Mate you should've waited and got her the new iPhone , she deserves it . ;)
  • buckshee said:

Mate you should've waited and got her the new iPhone , she deserves it . ;)

She hates Apple gear.
  • I'm well impressed with the phone. And for 94 quid, it's a steal.
    I would consider getting one myself, when my Galaxy S7 dies one day.