Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How often does your opinion change?

Are you the kind of person that could vote conservative then 4 years later, vote labour? The opposite direction, I mean.

Did you ever stubbornly really dislike a charlton player for whatever reason, then they eventually actually won you over and you became a fan?

You get the jist of my question.

I think I'm a bit of a yoyo in this sense when it comes to charlton.

Last week, my general opinion was that I thought Karl Robinson was a right Wally. I simply just thought ticking time bomb that's inevitably soon to be sacked. Puts his foot in his mouth and is highly predictable.

Now, only a week later, I quite like him and think he's got a lot of energy and dedication to this club.

Next week, I may think the opposite again.

I think if I saw some of my posted CL comments from maybe a year or 2 ago, I would cringe into suffocation, which sounds a bit over the top.

Comments

• I don't think my opinion will ever change on the owner or Meire (in fact I know it won't), but I've gone from I can't stand Robinson to he's got good intentions and hope he succeeds.
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I am not so sure :smile:
  • To paraphrase John Maynard Keynes, when the facts change....
  • It doesnt
  • Sometimes apparently
  • edited August 2017
    Just nevermind
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017

To paraphrase John Maynard Keynes, when the facts change....

More or less this, though sometimes, if you are grown up about it, you just come to realise that your original opinion was plain wrong...
  • Some opinions are open to being influenced or changed by facts as NYA mentions above with regard to Keynes, but some opinions are much less susceptible too logic or facts.
    For example I have a personal opinion that we shouldn't eat fish or meat and doubt that facts would influence that stance. Some people prefer mountains to beaches for holidays in their opinion and maybe extended experiences will affect their stance.
    Perhaps opinion forming is a combination of more organic processes than light switch events.
    It does frustrated me that folk are reluctant to question and consider things. One of my heroes, Socrates, said 'the unexamined life is not worth living', but I don't think this applies to my neighbours lovely and charming cat.
  • The man who never alters his opinions is like standing water and breeds reptiles of the mind.
    William Blake.

In other words, situations change and people's opinions can change with them.
  • edited August 2017
    Depends on factors on whether the opinion is positive or negative, or whether it's an emotional opinion or not.

If it is a negative emotional opinion / stance (ie, on an individual or organisation) then I am very unlikely to change because I'm quite principled and it would have taken a lot for me to have got to that opinion.

If it's an opinion on events, politics, choosing options etc then I'm not belligerent in stance and can easily be influenced if presented by others with a decent argument or from an evolving situation
  • I'm in 2 minds about this thread.
  • It's a silly topic and I wasn't going to even respond
  • For Charlton players;

Peter Shaw - looked a total liability - won me over with his work on the pitch.

Curbs/Gritt - looked like rabbits in headlights after the great Lennie Lawrence - the rest is history.

Sweaty Balmer - loads of own goals early on, never thought he would be any good - won me over with his work on the pitch.

Johnny Robinson - looked a poor replacement for the great Rob Lee in his early days and I was disappointed. - Now a legend.

Solly - looked out of his depth in too many of his early appearances - now top man.

Desilva - looked far too small for the L1 battering, but I have changed my mind.

Simon Makienok - always looked a non-league player to me - changed my mind, he is a Sunday pub team player.
  • For Charlton players;

Peter Shaw - looked a total liability - won me over with his work on the pitch.

Curbs/Gritt - looked like rabbits in headlights after the great Lennie Lawrence - the rest is history.

Sweaty Balmer - loads of own goals early on, never thought he would be any good - won me over with his work on the pitch.

Johnny Robinson - looked a poor replacement for the great Rob Lee in his early days and I was disappointed. - Now a legend.

Solly - looked out of his depth in too many of his early appearances - now top man.

Desilva - looked far too small for the L1 battering, but I have changed my mind.

Simon Makienok - always looked a non-league player to me - changed my mind, he is a Sunday pub team player.

100% with you on Shaw, Balmer and Robinson

• I used to think Roland and Katie were bad for Charlton.

I presently think they are bad for Charlton.

In years to come I will still hold that opinion.

I can change my mind on many issues but I doubt that I will concerning these two
  • Sponsored links:

• Since the Watford 5-0 I have always said the Belgians have to go, that will not change.

• Since the Watford 5-0 I have always said the Belgians have to go, that will not change.

Move on :wink:

Tbf, I had enough of them after the sheff Utd cup game.

Move on :wink:

Tbf, I had enough of them after the sheff Utd cup game.
    I was convinced that we were going to Wembley, then THAT abject display.
  • Fiiish said:

What kind of idiot votes Tory then four years later votes Labour.

Why did you flag this @Bow_Addick ?
  • Stop moaning and get behind the team COYRoland Out NAPM
  • edited August 2017
  • I have changed my mind about a few things I believed about 20 years ago, but am generally a sticker once I have an opinion. I think it's safe to say I won't change my mind about KM and RD.
    KR is still in the mix.
  • "All things contain contradictory sides or aspects, whose tension or conflict is the driving force of change and eventually transforms or dissolves them".

Couldn't have put it better meself.
    Wot?
  • I used to be stuck on an opinion, but I think going on particular sub-Reddits has changed that quite a bit. There's so much information out there to take in it's mad to think I'm ever going to be right about anything. Also, I can think of a number of albums and films that I really didn't like until I went back to them.

And to mis-quote Mitch Hedberg - "I used to hate Crystal Palace. I still do, but I used to, too."