Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fosu - Who is responsible for signing this lad?

Comments

• edited August 2017
    What I really liked about Morts was that you could see that his natural ability hadn't been coached out of him. As a result, he was a joy to watch. Although sometimes he could be frustrating probably for the same reason. Fosu is a different sort of player but he has the attributes to go to the top of the modern game. He is a different player, but whilst I rated Lookman very highly, If you gave me a choice I'd have Fosu. I have been watching football for over 40 years and only a handful of players have impressed me so much so quickly - instant wow if you like- where the hell did he come from FFS - he has something about him. I'll say one of those players was a young Gazza when I watched him play against us at Sellout. Going back Walsh and Lee stand out and going forward Parker.

Not saying we haven't had great players, but from unknown to jaw dropping, WTF, I'm putting him in there and it is a small selection. I may be proven wrong and what he does with his talent is going to be down to him, but the lad is a bit special, of that I am sure. Still would like to know who is responsible for securing him, because he has been plucked out of nowhere!
  • Still would like to know who is responsible for securing him, because he has been plucked out of nowhere!

Not the same one who scouted Polish Pete, Thuram, Nego etc etc etc..................................
  • Be sold to everton in January then
  • edited August 2017

What I really liked about Morts was that you could see that his natural ability hadn't been coached out of him. As a result, he was a joy to watch. Although sometimes he could be frustrating probably for the same reason. Fosu is a different sort of player but he has the attributes to go to the top of the modern game. He is a different player, but whilst I rated Lookman very highly, If you gave me a choice I'd have Fosu. I have been watching football for over 40 years and only a handful of players have impressed me so much so quickly - instant wow if you like- where the hell did he come from FFS - he has something about him. I'll say one of those players was a young Gazza when I watched him play against us at Sellout. Going back Walsh and Lee stand out and going forward Parker.

Not saying we haven't had great players, but from unknown to jaw dropping, WTF, I'm putting him in there and it is a small selection. I may be proven wrong and what he does with his talent is going to be down to him, but the lad is a bit special, of that I am sure. Still would like to know who is responsible for securing him, because he has been plucked out of nowhere!

You've just compared Fosu to Paul Mortimer, Ademola Lookman (who Fosu is apparently better than), Paul Gascoigne and three others. After a 1-0 win over Bristol Rovers in League One. Come now.
    I was making the point about the instant this lad is special reaction that I have only had a few times and I had that reaction when I saw him at Stevenage. Whether he fulfills that or not, I can't know, but I have been watching football for a long time and the flashing light doesn't go off too often but it did when I saw him. Basically, my gut instinct is telling me he is a bit spcial. I gave other examples when it went off previously. It might be failing in my old age, but the players mentioned were pretty useful, even if they should have done even better in their careers (Lee excluded).
  • wmcf123 said:

Let's judge after a few games but he was brilliant yesterday . A good friend of mine goes regularly to Reading and knows his football; he was gutted to see him go.

Me too. My mate is still banging on about it, even though he always seemed to be out on loan.

He had soooo much possesion yesterday, but i don't remember him losing the ball even once?
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

One game.

I felt he was special at Stevenage.
  • Really liked the look of him yesterday. Loads of pace and skill, but what I wasn't expecting was him to be so comfortable on the ball. A couple of times yesterday he slowed it down and rather than get his head down and go on a run, he chose to think about what he was doing and then just chose a a simple pass.

Really promising debut. With Marshall being out for so long, this lad could be a big player for us.

This. He was a one man release valve from pressure. He picked the ball up deep and was able to run 30-40 yards with it, then hold it up and pick a smart pass. Incredible in-game intelligence and maturity for a 22 year old. Think he'll end up being a real steal for a development fee.

Since Robinson came in, DaSilva, JFC, Fosu, and Reeves all look like proper top of League One/lower half Championship signings. Things feel different this year.
  • SDAddick said:

Really liked the look of him yesterday. Loads of pace and skill, but what I wasn't expecting was him to be so comfortable on the ball. A couple of times yesterday he slowed it down and rather than get his head down and go on a run, he chose to think about what he was doing and then just chose a a simple pass.

Really promising debut. With Marshall being out for so long, this lad could be a big player for us.

This. He was a one man release valve from pressure. He picked the ball up deep and was able to run 30-40 yards with it, then hold it up and pick a smart pass. Incredible in-game intelligence and maturity for a 22 year old. Think he'll end up being a real steal for a development fee.

Since Robinson came in, DaSilva, JFC, Fosu, and Reeves all look like proper top of League One/lower half Championship signings. Things feel different this year.
    Yes, so many times he released the pressure by taking the ball away from danger areas and earning free kicks. He's set up goals for Holmes and Reeves that way as well
  • Swisdom said:

There were lots of comparisons to Callum Harriett when we signed him but I never saw Callum play a game like that.

Tbf to the club the scouting of Fosu, Mavididi and Da Silva has been spot on. We'd never heard of any of them yet they've proven we do have some scouting capability now. Fosu though, as a signing, is inspired.

I bumped into him several times in Dublin and he was incredibly down to earth. Absolutely no billy big spuds about him just very softly spoken. Seemed a really nice chap

In that case we must be laughing at Reading! Have they got the bum deal! We sold them Harriott and we buy Fosu! Brilliant business! Even though I liked Callum, Fosu is in a different league! He's a better player though playing in a league lower!
  • I wasn't there on Saturday, but this bloke sounds a good player. Transfer fee says 'undisclosed' - anybody got any ideas on how much was spent on securing him?
  • Transfermarkt gives him a market value of £45K, that's probably what he will be sold for in January.
  • edited August 2017
    When a player is running with the ball, it is often enough to give them a bit of a nudge and they lose balance - the very best can anticipate and ride that nudge by focussing and anticipating where and when to be strong - I don't think you can coach that, it is a natural awareness. I think Paul Walsh had it and Fosu has it too. It is related to the control of the ball which is as much about feel as technique with this sort of gem of a player. It is about balance as strength and of course natural ability with the ball. Seeing as we are normally on the receiving end of thefts, it is strangely satisfying to benefit from one. Thanks Reading!
  • It's hard to believe that Reading took Harriott off of us and we managed to pick up this guy from them for a development fee. I liked Callum, but from his debut at least, Fosu seems a much more complete and mature player despite being younger.
  • What I really liked about Morts was that you could see that his natural ability hadn't been coached out of him. As a result, he was a joy to watch. Although sometimes he could be frustrating probably for the same reason. Fosu is a different sort of player but he has the attributes to go to the top of the modern game. He is a different player, but whilst I rated Lookman very highly, If you gave me a choice I'd have Fosu. I have been watching football for over 40 years and only a handful of players have impressed me so much so quickly - instant wow if you like- where the hell did he come from FFS - he has something about him. I'll say one of those players was a young Gazza when I watched him play against us at Sellout. Going back Walsh and Lee stand out and going forward Parker.

me, @i_b_b_o_r_g and @RodneyCharltonTrotta met him whilst out dogging and convinced him to come to Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• OMG!! We bought Fosu?? I thought it was a loan! That's great news.
  • Settle down lads, it's one game. I remember thinking Yassin Moutouakil was the next Cafu after his debut at the Valley

Fosu is a very skilful player who has not really played regularly and is learning the game - some of his decision making has been poor but at least we appear to have a guy with some talent.

Four goals in two games ain't bad and hopefully we'll witness his development.
  • Interesting to read the above that Fosu wasnt even meant to start the season... Even he seems to acknowledge the fact that he was always meant to start behind Marshall and that its been forced upon him.

With his lack of experience I think he's done well and would give him a 7/10 for the season to date

Cant remember when listing my own goalscoring thoughts for each player what I thought Fosu would get but will be delighted if he can get just another five over the course of the season... If he can get 15 himself that would be an awesome contribution.
  • He seems to be getting better and better, has cut the silly diving out of his game - could have gone down for a penalty during the build up to his last goal on Saturday but stayed on his feet and was rewarded with a perfect hat-trick.

Really looking forward to watching his development over the next season (I won't put my my hopes on any player for longer than that these days).
  • se9addick said:

He seems to be getting better and better, has cut the silly diving out of his game - could have gone down for a penalty during the build up to his last goal on Saturday but stayed on his feet and was rewarded with a perfect hat-trick.

That got mentioned during the Channel 5 Highlights (i.e. stayed on his feet when he could have had a pen) but from the replays it clearly looked as though the initial contact was outside the box and we'd have only got a Free-Kick
  • Like many players he will only get better with regular football. His skill is not in doubt and he is learning his trade.

He's making plenty of mistakes but he's not afraid to run at players and appears to have an end product. If we have a side with him, Ricky, Marshall and Reeves in it then it should be exciting to watch.