Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Watt - Waste of a Talent

Comments

• My thoughts exactly the geezer is a clown, he was liking tweets minutes before kick off yesterday. Think it's time to finally cut ties with him, he'll be rotting in Scottish league 2 before we know it.

Have said this before about TW, if he doesnt pull his finger out, then he will find himself lining up in the Scottish Second division for the likes of Falkirk and Raith Rovers.

Obviously has talent, but lacks any application.
  • edited August 2017

i don't massively hate him nor get the need for it any here, more pissed off with novak getting a straight red and banned for 3 games,its asif the sqaud wasnt thin enough.

happy to see him go away IF we get someone else in, in fact id probably rather that then every time he plays we create a thread on it.

This.

Lets be honest he's one of the sad stories of football, I don't think he's as disruptive as made out, I don't think he's as good as he was and I don't think he's as good as we hoped he'd be. There's a reason we got this player over ''all'' the higher rated, wealthier and more successful clubs, that were apparently in for him.

If he kicks on and does well fine, but a barrage of abuse every time he plays is pathetic. If that's going to happen I'd rather see him leave for a fee or be loaned out and replaced.
  • edited August 2017
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15457140.Charlton_defender_believes_Watt_can_shine_amid_striker_shortage/

well Solly says he's ready. he is though still remembering the Watt when he first got into the side not so much the Watt we've seen since.

these next three games are your chance Tony if you play. the last few including myself who haven't completely given up on you will do if you fuck this up.

copied from that lousy website if you don't fancy clicking onto their website due to adverts and what not...

"Charlton star Chris Solly believes Tony Watt can fill the boots of Josh Magennis and Lee Novak.

Magennis is sidelined with a minor knee injury, while Novak is suspended for three games after seeing red in the 1-0 win over Bristol Rovers on Saturday.
    It leaves Watt as Charlton’s only fit and available striker for their games against Exeter, Plymouth and Northampton.

When asked if Watt can step up in the absence of Magennis and Novak, Solly told News Shopper: “Yeah, of course. We’ve all seen what Tony’s about.
    “The year in the Championship when he first came here, he was unbelievable. Josh isn’t a long-term injury, so once they’re all back, in two weeks’ time we’ll have three strikers.
    Look at the quality we’ve got there, they are different types of players and they’ll be fighting it out for that number nine shirt.”

Charlton signed Watt from Standard Liege for an undisclosed fee in January 2015.

He became an instant fans’ favourite, scoring five goals as Charlton finished 12th in the Championship.

But since then, Watt has been shipped out on loan to Cardiff, Blackburn and Hearts, and has been unable to rediscover his form.
    He featured in Charlton’s pre-season this summer, and came on for the final 20 minutes of their League One opener against Bristol Rovers.

Addicks fans were frustrated with the Scotland international’s work-rate, however,

And Solly, 26, is confident Watt will star for Charlton this season.

He added: “I know his [attitude] has been in question a few times. I’ve always got on well with Tony. We all know his quality. He’s unplayable on his day.
    “I remember games like Forest and Brentford at home, he was unplayable
    He’s got so much ability, we just need to see it come out more often. But I’m sure he’ll be an asset to us this season.”
  • So Solly is a trouble maker too. Disgusting.
  • Dazzler21 said:

So Solly is a trouble maker too. Disgusting.

and has a drinking problem :neutral:
  • Solly's right and perhaps its the right thing to do (encourage him rather than give him stick based on 20 mins).

I just don't believe he has the heart and determination to perform. I am happy with Magennis to be our main striker, with either Novak or Watt as 3rd choice, but we are crying out for a decent second striker to compete with Magennis. If we are going to sign someone at the end of the window, then maybe Watt does have a game or 2 to prove his worth.
  • proper last chance saloon for Watt over the next couple of games
  • Well Watt now has a chance to play himself into the team. If he is crap then we still have time to sell him and get another replacement in.
  • Sponsored links:

• I assume Watt will play at Exeter, a chance to show he still has it
  • edited August 2017

I assume Watt will play at Exeter, a chance to show he still has it

If Solly is saying TW has the next few games to stake a claim presumably as Magennis is not fit or to be risked and Novak is suspended would he be risked at Exeter? And two games in 4 days for someone who others are questioning his fitness levels. I'd start Aherne Grant and have TW on the bench at Exeter.
  • got gifted an opportunity to show what he can do, if by end of the month there is no improvement then yes sack him off.
  • edited August 2017
    RedChaser said:

If Solly is saying TW has the next few games to stake a claim presumably as Magennis is not fit or to be risked and Novak is suspended would he be risked at Exeter? And two games in 4 days for someone who others are questioning his fitness levels. I'd start Aherne Grant and have TW on the bench at Exeter.
    Karlan 3 in 42 Grant (3 assists)
    or
    Tony 10 in 55 Watt (5 assists)

I'd Take Watt into that game and worse case scenario, bring KAG in on the hour.

He's a risk, but he needs a confidence boost.
  • i love tony watt, he's so good
  • Dazzler21 said:

RedChaser said:

or

Most of KAG's appearances were from the bench though

I'd play Watt tomorrow. I think he needs the match time
  • Watt 3,591 minutes vs 1,614 minutes
    Fair shout, Watt has had over double the minutes.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Watt 3,591 minutes vs 1,614 minutes

KAG was also a lot younger and raw for majority of that time.
  • I don't see that twatt is wasting his talent, rather revelling in it, being as his talent is to be a shameless parasite. Some belgian fantasist, encouraged by a grasping cynical agent no doubt, paid loadsamoney for and to twatt, since when he has been living high on the hog exerting himself not at all. Mega wages and occasionally fucking around on a football pitch: what's not to like?
    The real mystery is that so many team managers believe he's worth any effort at all. When his Charlton contract runs down he'll be lucky to warm the bench in Scottish League 2 or Welsh premier league. I get to watch a certain amount of Conference South football and nobody there would put up with twatt's lack of contribution. good riddance to bad rubbish
  • edited August 2017

Dazzler21 said:

Watt 3,591 minutes vs 1,614 minutes

KAG was also a lot younger and raw for majority of that time.
    We're talking about 4 years difference between the two players age wise... When T.Watt was KAGs age he had the following stats:

Played - 68
    Scored - 21
    Assists - 10

Definite decline in either his ability or application, but most likely both.

I do hope KAG starts scoring soon, but he seems very much a drill it and hope kind of striker.

• Sponsored links:

• Judge him by the way he plays when this team hasn't been playing with ten men since the 6th minute on a hot day and we are not defending a 1-0 lead with very tired legs. He did what was needed to be done, not what the muppets in the gallery think he should be doing.

I never know if you're serious a WUM or just plain daft.
    Definitely the latter, all true charlton fans are but let's see what he can do in a confident attacking team of 11 men that haven't more or less already given there all before we decide if he fits in or not. He's probably going to get the opportunity to do just that over the next couple of games and then we can write him off or not. If KR didn't think he was up to the task I doubt he would have risked sending him on last Saturday.
  • Judge him by the way he plays when this team hasn't been playing with ten men since the 6th minute on a hot day and we are not defending a 1-0 lead with very tired legs. He did what was needed to be done, not what the muppets in the gallery think he should be doing.

Definitely the latter, all true charlton fans are but let's see what he can do in a confident attacking team of 11 men that haven't more or less already given there all before we decide if he fits in or not. He's probably going to get the opportunity to do just that over the next couple of games and then we can write him off or not. If KR didn't think he was up to the task I doubt he would have risked sending him on last Saturday.
    So you were being serious. I accept what you say about the next couple of games, but don't understand that you didn't see the pub league performance that Watt provided on Saturday and that is being very harsh on pub league players,

I've never seen anyone that unprofessional. How can you lose a shin pad so often ? If I didn't know better I'd suspect he was/had been under the influence of something, but as that could be legally problematic, I'll not suggest it.

Probably because he had no other option but wanted to put a striker on. KAG can't play that role, Watt is at least that bit more physical.
  • Scoham said:

Judge him by the way he plays when this team hasn't been playing with ten men since the 6th minute on a hot day and we are not defending a 1-0 lead with very tired legs. He did what was needed to be done, not what the muppets in the gallery think he should be doing.

Probably because he had no other option but wanted to put a striker on. KAG can't play that role, Watt is at least that bit more physical.
    At that stage of the game and with the rest of the team either totally knackered or bordering on it he didn't need a striker, he need somebody to keep the Rovers back line from pushing up and give the rest of the charlton team a breather. Watt did that in spades.
  • Dazzler21 said:

RedChaser said:

or

KAG is still very young too.
  • Scoham said:

Judge him by the way he plays when this team hasn't been playing with ten men since the 6th minute on a hot day and we are not defending a 1-0 lead with very tired legs. He did what was needed to be done, not what the muppets in the gallery think he should be doing.

At that stage of the game and with the rest of the team either totally knackered or bordering on it he didn't need a striker, he need somebody to keep the Rovers back line from pushing up and give the rest of the charlton team a breather. Watt did that in spades.
    I'm not judging his performances, I wasn't at the game. I was reposnding to your point that KR must think he's up to it. He was the best striker available at the time. That doesn't automatically mean he rates him, think he fits into the system, or wants to keep him.

He might want to keep him but personally I don't get that impression.
  • wmcf123 said:

Dazzler21 said:

RedChaser said:

or

KAG is still very young too.
    And except from the first few appearances when he initially broke through he has spent most of his time playing out wide.

Watt has only been played centrally.
  • A striker not tracking back or being good at tackling. Whatever next. Unless he is sold then it seems Watt is very much this years scapegoat.

To be fair, I would probably criticise too but the thing with not going much now is that I missed Saturday and we won so I don't really have any insight to his performance.

That said, KR says he is in great shape and I look forward to hearing how he gets on when we are on the front foot and playing a game a striker like him may have a chance to thrive on. He is not a physical Magennis type and is never going to throw himself into challenges.