Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the best you have ever seen Charlton play?

edited August 2017 in General Charlton
By this I mean what was the most memorable beautiful football, it might even be a game we lost.
For me it was the first 45 mins at Deepdale on April 11th 1966 we tore them apart with the most stunning football I have ever seen from us......we slacked off in the second half and it ended up 3-3......sounds familiar doesn't it!

Comments

• I remember a new year game against arsenal. Won 1-0 goal from JJ first half against the run of play. Second half we played them off the park. They then got a penalty that Deano saved... Most I've cheered a save.
  • Couple of less obvious suggestions:

5-3 defeat to Arsenal at Highbury in 2000. Arsenal at the height of their powers but we more than matched them for long spells and our attacking was fast, incisive and exhilarating, the sort of stuff that Arsenal were renound for at that time. Kevin Lisbie was particularly impressive, not just a speed merchant, lots of flair and creativity. Think he got injured shortly afterwards and the momentum was lost.

The 4-2 victory a year or 2 later was a great performance but we rode our luck a bit that day.

Also, 2-1 victory over Reading in league cup 1st round in the League 1 title season. Wasn't expecting much against a side from the division above, but our second string side tore them to pieces. Ruben Bover had a good game, I think Danny Green nearly scored direct from a corner (deliberately), and Simon Francis (possibly his last game for us) looked like David Beckham, couldn't believe it was the same player who'd been the boo boys favourite the previous year. As with the previous example, lots of exhilarating attacking football, not at all what you expect from Charlton in a cup game.
  • McBobbin said:

I remember a new year game against arsenal. Won 1-0 goal from JJ first half against the run of play. Second half we played them off the park. They then got a penalty that Deano saved... Most I've cheered a save.

With Ray Parlour swallow diving into the box - the tackle was almost on the halfway line!! (OK I exaggerate somewhat!).
  • Chelsea 4-2 at the Valley, one of Scot Parker's last games.
    He was brilliant that day, Chelsea signed him soon after.
    Matt Holland scored with a great header, JJ and Jason Euell,
    sadly I can't remember who scored the other goal.
    We were at the peak of our time in the Premiership that season!
    All downhill from that season onwards.

Erm, all downhill from that moment onwards to be more precise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wembley Play Off Final, and the 3-3 against Man United
  • Deffo Chelsea 4-2 at the Valley. We were a great team that year

• Best football ?

CAFC 5-2 Cardiff City 26 Oct 63

On a brilliant Autumn day each of the five forwards scored a beauty, and double figures would have been well deserved. Unforgettable.

OP - I was at Deepdale that evening. Great performance, especially by the unplayable Cliff Holton.

That Easter : Good Friday CAFC 5-2 PNE then WHL Spurs 1-4 West Ham. Sat Chelsea 6-2 West Ham. Tues at Deepdale. Great weekend ....
  • Blackburn away FA cup
  • Blackburn away FA cup

Best 14 mins of my life
  • We beat Preston 5-2 the season we went up under Powell. Remember we tore them apart before conceding 2 in injury time. Thought we looked class that day
  • se9addick said:

That Chelsea 4-2 match has to be the high water mark in the history of the club. We were amazing and, given that our players would have been far fitter due to modern training methods than any of these games from the 1960's etc that must, objectively speaking, have been the best we've ever played.

It was an amazing game and an incredible atmosphere, The Valley was rocking! - but probably not the best I've seen us play. I remember turning around to my boys at the final whistle and saying something like 'we had four shots on target and scored four goals'.
  • Sponsored links:

Mmmmmm......of course the Wembley play off final was just about the most exciting and memorable games one could imagine.
    But I have to say that although we played well (as did Sunderland) it was nowhere near as good a standard as I have seen on many many occasions both prior and since, even although it was the most exciting match I have ever witnessed.
  • One I will never forget, January 2003, in the rain, home to West Ham, 4-2 win ... great night.
  • The one that popped into my head was 1-4 at Walsall during our promotion year, when we could even afford to laugh at Pringle running the length of the pitch only to miss from ten yards.
  • Bradford 4-1 1997/98 season

All the goals that we scored that day was perfect. 1st - a typical Mendonca finish 2nd - Morts dribbling skills 3rd - Brown Rocket and 4th a perfect cross by Robbo with another typical Mendonca finish.

Others I can remember are:
    Charlton 3-3 Man Utd 2000/01
    Charlton 5-2 Preston 2011/12
    Charlton 3-0 Fulham 2003/04

• edited August 2017
    Halix said:

The one that popped into my head was 1-4 at Walsall during our promotion year, when we could even afford to laugh at Pringle running the length of the pitch only to miss from ten yards.

Johnny Robinson was unplayable that night, Andy Hunt and Kins weren't too shabby either.

Chelsea 4-2 in the Prem for me in terms of quality but many others for enjoyment and that special feel good factor. The 7-4 over unbeaten, top of the league Pompey in the early 60's Lisbie's hat trick game against Liverpool, the record 6-0 away demolition of Barnsley. Just a few that immediately spring to mind apart from the play off final.

Agreed, mustard in both

• 6-2 home to Southampton in 76/77 and a 3-0 win against Chelsea at Selhurst in the days of Morts, Williams and Bennett.

Someone I used to work with had played with Williams at Woodford and still kept in touch. He told him that after he's scored his second goal and was jogging back for the kick off, Graham Roberts got hold of him and said "if you get a hat trick I'll break your fucking leg"
  • 4-0 at home to West Ham. We battered them first half. JFH and Zheng both hit the post as well.

Also the 4-2 against Chelsea.