Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Solly.

When does his contract run out and is he able to sign for another club or would he fail the medical ?

Hoping Charlton don't stitch him up....

Comments

• i think as chris is really pushing his academy/football coaching thing maybe he is looking to go elsewhere whatever he decides i would like to thank him as hes been a fantastic player for us but the injury he has it might be wise to hang his playing boots up.
  • Didnt he sign a new extension this season?
  • Dansk_Red said:

He has a Contract until end June 2020.

That was only so that Roland could sell him to West Ham for £10 million, dodgy knees or not.
    You read it here first!

• Dansk_Red said:

Thank Chris(t) for that
  • i think as chris is really pushing his academy/football coaching thing maybe he is looking to go elsewhere whatever he decides i would like to thank him as hes been a fantastic player for us but the injury he has it might be wise to hang his playing boots up.

surely can still play enough to warrant carrying on for a couple more seasons. Been a good servant and still good enough for League 1.
  • I haven't seen him much for a while and I was surprised by how much he struggled with quick changes of directions. Did well when he was touch tight but was really in trouble whenever the opposition had a bit of space to run at him.

Still a legend, but terrible to see what injuries can do to someone still so young.

surely can still play enough to warrant carrying on for a couple more seasons. Been a good servant and still good enough for League 1.
    i hope so aswell, but having recently become a father he may think of other avenues to go down, that knee injury could really bugger him up in later life, he knows aswell deep down hes not the player he used to be and i think chris is one of those sort of players that wouldnt want to hold the team back etc, have the gaffer having to pick him etc. end of the day it should be up to him what he does. if millwall dont go up next year ill be at there game, but next season will be just away games unless there are changes i find it depressing going there currently.
  • Coming up to his 10th season at Charlton, playing in the first team.

Does anyone remember the last time we had a testimonial?
  • Sponsored links:

Wasn't it Paddy Powell a few years ago?
  • T.C.E said:

Dansk_Red said:

I heard his currant contract based on 32k a week runs until he is 52. The players agent issued a statement saying. "We wanted to sign a 2 year contract based on injury and performance, but after hours of tough negotiation we accepted the 25 yr extension and 20k a week pay rise offered by the club" ;)
    He gets paid in currants......surely not!

Yes, that's right. Had a spell when we seemed to have one every season. John Robinson against Porto, Brownie against an Italian side, Curbs Vs Hearts. Think Mendonca had one against a Dutch side. Colin Walsh Vs Spurs. Did Rufus get one?
  • MrLargo said:

Coming up to his 10th season at Charlton, playing in the first team.

Yes, that's right. Had a spell when we seemed to have one every season. John Robinson against Porto, Brownie against an Italian side, Curbs Vs Hearts. Think Mendonca had one against a Dutch side. Colin Walsh Vs Spurs. Did Rufus get one?
    I also remember Bob Bolder's one against Sheffield Wednesday, with Trevor Francis their manager easily the best player on the pitch!

For a player, Bob Bolder I believe.
  • MrLargo said:

Coming up to his 10th season at Charlton, playing in the first team.

Rufus is arranging is own one against a Pentecostal investment vechicle
  • T.C.E said:

Dansk_Red said:

I heard his currant contract based on 32k a week runs until he is 52. The players agent issued a statement saying. "We wanted to sign a 2 year contract based on injury and performance, but after hours of tough negotiation we accepted the 25 yr extension and 20k a week pay rise offered by the club" ;)
    Yes, indeed, that's true. I can't tell you why but, trust me, there is a raisin for it.
  • cafcfan said:

T.C.E said:

Dansk_Red said:

Yes, indeed, that's true. I can't tell you why but, trust me, there is a raisin for it.
    RD had to prune the wage bill somehow.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Fortune nearly got there but left after 9 years (? Sheffield Utd) and then came back..
  • LenGlover said:

Fortune nearly got there but left after 9 years (? Sheffield Utd) and then came back..

Chris Powell's got 10 years cumulatively as player and manager. Maybe Katrien could arrange a testimonial for him for next August - only chance she'll ever have of selling out a game at The Valley.
  • LenGlover said:

Fortune nearly got there but left after 9 years (? Sheffield Utd) and then came back..

Lisbie may have been out on loan a lot but definitely was with us for 10 years
  • cafcfan said:

T.C.E said:

Dansk_Red said:

RD had to prune the wage bill somehow.....
    Well, he just doesn't give a fig does he?
  • Have to say I'm surprised by the number of people saying they're worried about Solly or marking him down in the player marks thread. Yes, he's lost a bit of pace but he was an absolute rock yesterday.

In the second half, Bristol Rovers completely overloaded that flank when they realised Fosu's legs were shot. I counted about 5 or 6 times that Solly was up against a 2-on-1 situation and for the large part, he handled them really well.

My only criticism of Robinson (and I know his hands were tied after the red card) was that it took him 10 minutes too long to realise that and then switched Fosu and Holmes on the wings, eventually he took Fosu off altogether.
  • Have to say I'm surprised by the number of people saying they're worried about Solly or marking him down in the player marks thread. Yes, he's lost a bit of pace but he was an absolute rock yesterday.

In the second half, Bristol Rovers completely overloaded that flank when they realised Fosu's legs were shot. I counted about 5 or 6 times that Solly was up against a 2-on-1 situation and for the large part, he handled them really well.

My only criticism of Robinson (and I know his hands were tied after the red card) was that it took him 10 minutes too long to realise that and then switched Fosu and Holmes on the wings, eventually he took Fosu off altogether.

I guess that the only way to get up to playing 90 plus minutes is to play through that point when you would like to have a rest so giving him another ten minutes might pay off with his fitness levels later in the month.

I agree he looked tired but sometimes those players can just pull something out of the bag. He was also running much more when he came off that Watt did at any point.
  • I wasn't that impressed with him yesterday to be honest. I thought he gave there attackers a lot of time on occasions. Also made a few stray passes. Although I thought he could of nearly scored at one point but slipped over.

However I did like his involvement in the Novak's red card. As captain getting in the thick of it which is good.

Love the bloke tho. Charlton through and through.

I think we just have incredibly high standards for Solly, this is his seventh year as a first team regular, he has over 200 approaches and is still only 26.

I think he's not been looking as effective for maybe six months or so now, still definitely able to hold down a spot in a L1 side, but in times gone by he was consistently the best player on the pitch for us week in week out.
  • se9addick said:

Have to say I'm surprised by the number of people saying they're worried about Solly or marking him down in the player marks thread. Yes, he's lost a bit of pace but he was an absolute rock yesterday.

I think we just have incredibly high standards for Solly
    , this is his seventh year as a first team regular, he has over 200 approaches and is still only 26.

I think he's not been looking as effective for maybe six months or so now, still definitely able to hold down a spot in a L1 side, but in times gone by he was consistently the best player on the pitch for us week in week out.
    Exactly.
  • edited August 2017
    I thought the whole back four were immense yesterday, when you consider the pressure we were under. (And that isn't meant as a dig at the midfield, who all worked their socks off...)

Sometimes, when defending, you just can't afford to dive in. Miss a tackle, and the opposition get a chance at a run on goal.

What Solly has become VERY good at, is sitting off his man. "Standing him up", as I call it. Wait for him to commit himself, and then defend that position. All the time you are slowing the attacker down, and letting your team mates sort out their shape behind you.

Particularly necessary if, like Solly, you don't quite have the pace you once had. (in his case, due to his knees...)