Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Support the team in 2017-18

Comments

• cabbles said:

I am in absolutely no doubt that the quickest way to get RD to sell up is by the current team attaining promotion back to the Championship (either automatically or via the playoffs).

Like the rest of you I badly want that to happen THIS SEASON. With the quality of the players we now have at our disposal (plus the possible addition of Reeves and Martin into the mix) combined with what I see as an extremely mediocre league now is the time to cast aside your gripes with the current regime and return to the Valley to support the boys 100%.

By returning to the Valley and relinquishing any existing boycotts you are not only going to give a massive boost to the current set of players you are also potentially quickening RD's exit which, at the end of the day, is what we all want (well..2% of us at least). ;-)

I simply cannot face another year of RD and Div 1 football and it pains me that I am not in a position to support the boys at our spiritual home.

It's time to stop the boycott and put all our collective energies into a return to the Championship don't you think?

COYR

I don't think anyone can 2nd guess what RD will do. If we do get promoted it gives KM a chance to say that she's mastering her trombone RD bought her for Xmas a few years back, and should be given more time
    I agree with you that it is practically impossible to 2nd guess RD but at what point are we forced to give the regime some slack? For example how would we all feel if the team comfortably achieved promotion back to the Championship this year and followed up with a top half finish in 2018/19 whilst retaining KR and the core of the current team? Would KM be entitled to blow her own trombone then? (oer missus!).

Just playing devils advocate here. I DO NOT support the regime.
    Winning and running the club in a semi normal way as @Covered End pointed out on another thread (buying British etc) will bring some of us back, but for many the damage has been done. Like you, I don't judge people for going or abstaining. I am going to be there this season as I have always been, but I just don't trust them
  • sammy391 said:

sammy391 said:

seth plum said:

I am in absolutely no doubt that the quickest way to get RD to sell up is by the current team attaining promotion back to the Championship (either automatically or via the playoffs).

Like the rest of you I badly want that to happen THIS SEASON. With the quality of the players we now have at our disposal (plus the possible addition of Reeves and Martin into the mix) combined with what I see as an extremely mediocre league now is the time to cast aside your gripes with the current regime and return to the Valley to support the boys 100%.

By returning to the Valley and relinquishing any existing boycotts you are not only going to give a massive boost to the current set of players you are also potentially quickening RD's exit which, at the end of the day, is what we all want (well..2% of us at least). ;-)

I simply cannot face another year of RD and Div 1 football and it pains me that I am not in a position to support the boys at our spiritual home.

It's time to stop the boycott and put all our collective energies into a return to the Championship don't you think?

COYR

I have heard this a lot, that RD would sell if we got promotion.
    I don't understand why.
    Because he's had enough of Charlton and promotion back to the Championship represents his best chance of clawing back some of his considerable losses. It's common knowledge that he is open to bidders even if his price is way OTT currently.
    But surely promotion would only allow him to maintain the OTT price or in true roly craze , push it up!!
    Perhaps so but there is no disputing the fact that a Charlton playing in the Championship are a far more attractive proposition to anyone crazy enough to pay RD's over inflated asking price!
    If they're crazy enough , they'll pay the price regardless of division... the problem has and always will be that the asking price is ridiculous no matter what league we are in.

Personally I will still be boycotting, mainly as I don't seem to get any pleasure out of going to games anymore but also because I feel that it is the best thing to do in order to do my part to remove the owner (no matter how small!)... of course that'll change with new ownership , but new ownership isn't garunteed with promotion - I fear it will only prolong the current regime as KM & RD's appetite will be wetted especially when they see it as 'beating' those who oppose them!
    Personally I think the only people crazy enough to buy the club regardless of division would be a consortium led by Peter Varney and even then probably on the basis of having to guarantee promotion from League One at the first go.

For me the best chance of a sale is in The Championship I don't believe RD would re-raise the asking price again due to the high risk of relegation back to League One.

Personally I believe if we did get promoted we would find ourselves struggling to stay in The Championship just down to how money has ruined the game when teams like Wolves and Boro are outspending teams from many top divisions across Europe. I believe we would struggle in The Championship and feel RD would cut his losses due to the investment required to get us to The Premier League knowing his network idea wouldn't get us there any cheaper.
  • I agree. It takes pretty deep pockets for a club just to hold their own in the Championship these days, let alone compete at the top end of it, so promotion might be the best chance for RD to sell the club.

I'll get shot down for saying this but I think the best thing supporters can do is go to games, support the club as normal, make the club look as strong as possible to prospective new owners, so that ideally we are attractive to prospective decent owners rather than cowboys
  • seth plum said:

COYR

I don't understand why.
    I agree. However, if he wants to announce now that he will sell up if we get promoted I will ring up now and buy a season ticket.
  • seth plum said:

COYR

I don't understand why.
    I agree. However, if he wants to announce now that he will sell up if we get promoted I will ring up now and buy a season ticket.
    Does that therefore mean if Roland doesn't make that announcement it's because he doesn't want you to buy a season ticket ?

I wouldn't let him get away with that if that is the case, go and buy a season ticket anyway just to spite him. That will show him charlton fans are not to be messed with.
  • hope were not going to see infighting all season.

rolands a tight Cnut and katrien is incompetent - is my best way to summarise it, but telling people there not real fans for not believing in something that has failed for last 3 years is tedious and quite disrespectful - not a dig at anyone but see it far too often on the fb group, people have v short memories without some members of card/those protesting we may not have got back to the valley all them years ago and then where would we be.

karl talks some good but then also talks a lot of bollocks, he is an EMPLOYEE of the current owners, therefor he doesn't have much say in what goes on, previous managers certainly haven't so why the sudden change?.

so far they have sent out a fancy package for season ticket holders, which includes a scarf. ( nice touch and there was no need as st had already purchased ).

they have made plans to celebrate 25 years back at the valley.

in addition to this they have got rid of more players then we have bought in.

i personally think we have a squad that is far too thin 2nd week of September 3 1st team players get injured and that's us fucked, league 1 is a v physical league and you need adequate cover.

me personally;

ill go to at least 12/13 away games.

home games when tickets are spare/not being used - no cost to myself or any money to the club, they clearly have enough of it as they spunk it on crap players that we then loan out. so my 20 quid wont make much difference.

if we got to playoffs/wembley i would be there, as chances to go there with your team for us aren't too common.

rolands a tight Cnut and katrien is incompetent - is my best way to summarise it, but telling people there not real fans for not believing in something that has failed for last 3 years is tedious and quite disrespectful - not a dig at anyone but see it far too often on the fb group, people have v short memories without some members of card/those protesting we may not have got back to the valley all them years ago and then where would we be.

karl talks some good but then also talks a lot of bollocks, he is an EMPLOYEE of the current owners, therefor he doesn't have much say in what goes on, previous managers certainly haven't so why the sudden change?.

so far they have sent out a fancy package for season ticket holders, which includes a scarf. ( nice touch and there was no need as st had already purchased ).

i personally think we have a squad that is far too thin 2nd week of September 3 1st team players get injured and that's us fucked, league 1 is a v physical league and you need adequate cover.

me personally;

home games when tickets are spare/not being used - no cost to myself or any money to the club, they clearly have enough of it as they spunk it on crap players that we then loan out. so my 20 quid wont make much difference.

if we got to playoffs/wembley i would be there, as chances to go there with your team for us aren't too common.

So you won't give any money to the club, apart from a play off final, when you will.
  • We'd also just be back where we started on the pitch - after five years of turmoil and grief, many long-standing fans alienated, the Charlton brand damaged, oh and a small matter of £50M++ in debt.

If we move forward from here then I can live with this.

As far as the debt issue is concerned I'm sure that fans of so many other EFL clubs would be delighted to have just soft debt outstanding. Bolton get promoted and then have to offload higher wage earners because they cannot pay HMRC.

Just saying .......

• Sponsored links:

• Any other boycotters getting twitchy? I vowed not a penny more a long time ago but I'd be lying if I said I've not been tempted this summer.

me personally;

So you won't give any money to the club, apart from a play off final, when you will.
    I'd probably be the same tbh. I'm only human.
  • Uboat said:

hope were not going to see infighting all season.

me personally;

I'd probably be the same tbh. I'm only human.
    Ditto.
  • Lurker said:

Any other boycotters getting twitchy? I vowed not a penny more a long time ago but I'd be lying if I said I've not been tempted this summer.

Nope, f*** 'em!
  • Lurker said:

Any other boycotters getting twitchy? I vowed not a penny more a long time ago but I'd be lying if I said I've not been tempted this summer.

Nope, f*** 'em!
    Exactly. I might possibly change my mind if they show a prolonged period of changing their ways and doing things in the interests of the club. I fully expect some more youngsters to be sold in January and empty promises of reinvestment and we start all over again next summer
  • Lurker said:

Not me, I stand by my boycott and have other plans this Saturday.

#notapennymore
    Another date with the couch in your underpants?
  • Lurker said:

Not really no.
  • Sponsored links:

• Skipped the last 9 pages, what have I missed?
  • ozaddick said:

Skipped the last 9 pages, what have I missed?

You'll be delighted to hear Roland has sold up to the Aussies, except he"s kept the Valley freehold.
    Building work starts on the West stand car park in September.
    The Aussies have asked us to be patient whilst they try to cobble together some cash for players.
    Everybody is arguing about where to park and CARD is getting the blame for the mess.
  • ozaddick said:

Skipped the last 9 pages, what have I missed?

In view of the recent signings, the performance last week and the General positivity some fans are exuding on here some boycotters are boycotting the boycott and the £175 season tickets have nearly sold out with just a few now remaining. Get in quick if you want one. Otherwise, not much else.

me personally;

well used to have a season ticket plus probably a pie and a pint, so that times by 23 £138ish plus season ticket is £325.00

is £463.00

where as a play off final ticket is no more than £50.00 ( which they don't receive the whole amount )

so yes i am giving then some money but over £400 less than what i would of done 2 seasons ago.

that in my eyes is enough, still probably spend 1200-1500 following us away.

Charlton dont get to wembley often and why should i miss out, not going to home games i can live with.
  • Lurker said:

#notapennymore
    Is there still an appetite for protesting? Last year I did Belgium and the other stadium protests but I can't see myself doing it again this year.

Wife is now used to me being around on a Saturday afternoons...

I like most of what CARD have tried but I don't like how exclusive they seem. Doesn't really feel that I'm part of a boycott and more that I just don't go to football anymore.
  • Lurker said:

Lurker said:

#notapennymore

You want to change that sharpish before it's too late.
    The best reason not to boycott games, once you start you are trapped
  • Lurker said:

Lurker said:

#notapennymore

The best reason not to boycott games, once you start you are trapped
    The same advice that was given to a member of the public in the Dear Deirdre page last November
  • Lurker said:

Lurker said:

#notapennymore

And we're back... Just bought them to collect at the office tomorrow.