Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So what can you buy for £198 million?

Okay so PSG are splashing the cash, so what else could they have bought for the same price?
49.5 million pints of beer
130 Ferrari 458's, with some change left over
2 Gareth Bales with £20 mil to spare
About 19 million Chicken Tikka Masala takeaways
CAFC (4 times over, although RD still probably wouldn't sell)

Comments

• 2 Charlton Athletics (... according to Roland.)
  • 39,600,000,000 Mojos (when they were 1/2p each)
  • Columbia and a lot of hookers.
  • Piotr Parzyszek.
  • Montserrat
  • You could buy every Charlton player who ever wore the shirt. Twice. And then you'd have enough left over to buy half of them again.
  • That's just about enough money, I think. The sort of cash you can win on lotteries and stuff is just so, I don't know, inadequate. If you want a nice gaff in London, a decent winter residence in Florida with a nice boat and somewhere smart on the French Riviera, then the staff to run them plus a few decent motors, then that's about the level of folding you're going to need. Otherwise, having spent a significant portion of the dosh, you'll find you're not generating enough to pay for the running costs.
  • cafcfan said:

That's just about enough money, I think. The sort of cash you can win on lotteries and stuff is just so, I don't know, inadequate. If you want a nice gaff in London, a decent winter residence in Florida with a nice boat and somewhere smart on the French Riviera, then the staff to run them plus a few decent motors, then that's about the level of folding you're going to need. Otherwise, having spent a significant portion of the dosh, you'll find you're not generating enough to pay for the running costs.

I know what you mean.
    A mate and I were talking about this while playing golf a couple of years ago when the euromillions jackpot hit about 180 million. He's a Chelsea supporter and told me Abramovich has a yacht worth something like 300 million. If you bought one for half that then add on running costs etc and living the high life, 180 million is spent right there.
  • cafcfan said:

That's just about enough money, I think. The sort of cash you can win on lotteries and stuff is just so, I don't know, inadequate. If you want a nice gaff in London, a decent winter residence in Florida with a nice boat and somewhere smart on the French Riviera, then the staff to run them plus a few decent motors, then that's about the level of folding you're going to need. Otherwise, having spent a significant portion of the dosh, you'll find you're not generating enough to pay for the running costs.

I know what you mean.
    A mate and I were talking about this while playing golf a couple of years ago when the euromillions jackpot hit about 180 million. He's a Chelsea supporter and told me Abramovich has a yacht worth something like 300 million. If you bought one for half that then add on running costs etc and living the high life, 180 million is spent right there.
    Don't you just love rich people's problems
  • Sponsored links:

• The French league but not the champions one.

:-)
  • cafcfan said:

I know what you mean.
    Don't you just love rich people's problems
    I found this Reddit post to be a fascinating insight into how the rich live.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/2s9u0s/what_do_insanely_wealthy_people_buy_that_ordinary/cnnmca8/
  • Okay so PSG are splashing the cash, so what else could they have bought for the same price?
    49.5 million pints of beer
    130 Ferrari 458's, with some change left over
    2 Gareth Bales with £20 mil to spare
    About 19 million Chicken Tikka Masala takeaways
    CAFC (4 times over, although RD still probably wouldn't sell)

I'd have 24.75m pints and 9.5m Chicken Tikka Masalas. Do you think they'd chuck in a few poppadums?
  • edited August 2017
    I think it is obsene - people are starving in this world. I have my issues with the owner, but I would never want to support a club that has lost the meaning of football. How can supporters feel part of this!

I wouldn't want to be that rich either. Not when so many people from his country experience extreme property. Ultimately football is just kicking a ball about, no matter how passionate we all are about it. It feels like something that belonged to us is being taken away from us!
  • edited August 2017
    On holiday I saw this superyacht, googled it, €240m... so a touch (I think €18m) more than Neymar. I'd take the boat.

• I think it is obsene - people are starving in this world. I have my issues with the owner, but I would never want to support a club that has lost the meaning of football. How can supporters feel part of this!

I wouldn't want to be that rich either. Not when so many people from his country experience extreme property. Ultimately football is just kicking a ball about, no matter how passionate we all are about it. It feels like something that belonged to us is being taken away from us!

I agree with what your saying Muttley, living in SA where there are people living in shacks and struggling to scrape a living it bugs the hell out of me when I see this excess. When I showed my eldest daughter,who's 13, the headline she asked me how they can justify this when doctors, teachers, nurses who's role in life is so important get paid a pittance.
    What can you reply? There is no justification for this and it's time like this I start to fall out of love with the game.

• edited August 2017

I think it is obsene - people are starving in this world. I have my issues with the owner, but I would never want to support a club that has lost the meaning of football. How can supporters feel part of this!

I agree with what your saying Muttley, living in SA where there are people living in shacks and struggling to scrape a living it bugs the hell out of me when I see this excess. When I showed my eldest daughter,who's 13, the headline she asked me how they can justify this when doctors, teachers, nurses who's role in life is so important get paid a pittance.
    What can you reply? There is no justification for this and it's time like this I start to fall out of love with the game.

Well, there is justification for it - it's labour economics in it's most extreme form, where that top level of skill is limited to literally just a few people in the world, and the market that they operate in is worth an almost unfathomable amount of money, so the fight for talent is super-inflated. All-in-all clubs make money from these kind of deals - somewhat unbelievably, but otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Is it fair? Absolutely not. But it's free market economics and that's the system that by-and-large the whole developed world is based on. The lesson for your daughter... well, firstly - 'life's not fair', but also 'if it's money that you care about, go and learn a skill that is in demand and not many people are able to do'?

Edit: Not a great lesson, but shit... I can't think of a better one?
  • Isnt it 450m when you take into account wages and bonuses?
  • It's actually quite obscene, that money is being frivolously wasted in this manner.

Feed and water a lot of people.
  • Sponsored links:

• ...not Neymar, apparently Spanish FA sticking its oar in, somebody there not yet sure of his cut allegedly
  • You could've covered Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone and Mozambique's defence budgets, and still had £4m to blow on strippers and coke
  • A meal for four in Zurich, with wine. Just.
  • If, as he says, it wasn't about money what could, say, 66% of his wages do?
  • Only earning what big name actors earn for two films a year.
  • Just think how many coaches to Exeter they could book with that
  • Lunch for one at a motorway services and a can of pop for the road.
  • Two bedroom one and a half bath flat in London.