Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Heather Pyke crowdfunding

She went to Turkey without travel insurance and has had a heart attack. There's a crowdfunding link in the article, to pay her medical bills and to get her home.
I just saw it on the local news. I'm a bit undecided on whether people should be bailed out, because they don't insure themselves.

http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/politics/haggerston-charity-worker-launches-crowdfunder-to-get-his-mum-home-after-heart-attack-in-turkey-1-5129881

Comments

• Genuine question, is there a reason this is in "fun, jokes, and captions?" Am I missing something?
  • Only that I'm thick.

No it's serious, not a joke.

More a moral dilemma, sort of thing. Should people aid others, who haven't helped themself ?

If your answer is yes, then there's the crowdfunding link to do so.
  • Having clicked on the link and seen the picture, I think you'd have to be pretty cold-hearted to take a "serves you right!" attitude towards this.
  • It 'doesn't serve her right' but don't see why others should ba her out.

At least they are looking to raise the funds rather than expecting our government to come to the rescue I suppose.
  • edited August 2017

Only that I'm thick.

No it's serious, not a joke.

More a moral dilemma, sort of thing. Should people aid others, who haven't helped themself ?

If your answer is yes, then there's the crowdfunding link to do so.

Cheers for the explanation, I figured it was a mistake. We've all made them.

As an aside, crowd funding for medical bills is VERY common in the states because of our healthcare system.

So I'm not that familiar with how these things are handled, but going on this quote it sounds as if there was an honest mistake in thinking she was covered in Europe, and didn't realize that doesn't include Turkey.

Heather had her NHS insurance card covering medical emergencies in Europe, but not in Turkey.

“It was a nightmare when we realised her European Health Insurance wasn’t valid,” Danielle added.

Maybe this is something where there is no excuse for not knowing and I'm just not aware of, but it's something that, for me, makes total sense that it was an oversight or confusion ("Europe" I'm guessing meaning EU here and not the continent as a whole). That's not to say everyone has to donate, but we've all made mistakes while traveling, and this is literally the worst case scenario: "Imagine if you were on holiday and had a sudden, incredibly serious heart attack and you didn't have you insurance sorted because you got confused as to the definition of 'Europe' and now you need to raise funds to get home."
  • edited August 2017
    Exactly, for whatever reason, presumably she didn't take the trouble, to check if the EHIC card was valid in Turkey.
  • Doesn't everyone take insurance for the EU as well. I always take cover for Spain, for example.

I haven't clicked on the link so can't comment on the lady in question but there are, potentially, more deserving people of my spare money than someone that could afford a holiday but chose not to take the insurance.
  • I've just checked the link and they have over £7k now so there are, obviously, lots of people out there that have sympathy with them.

I wish her and her family well, even if I'm not going to give them any money myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Doesn't everyone take insurance for the EU as well. I always take cover for Spain, for example.

I haven't clicked on the link so can't comment on the lady in question but there are, potentially, more deserving people of my spare money than someone that could afford a holiday but chose not to take the insurance.

Then you are needlessly handing over your money to some of the biggest legally operating fraudsters in the world.

• sam3110 said:

Stuff like this make me think that maybe crowdfunding has taken things too far... I mean yes it's horrible that they had a heart attack and realised the EHIC card didn't cover it, but that's something they should have researched beforehand and then taken out the relevant insurance. So other people are essentially paying for someone's own negligence

You can get basic insurance for about a tenner for a two week trip, you won't get much (or anything) for dropping your smart phone in the sea but your medical bills will be covered & that is why everyone should take out insurance. If you can afford a holiday you can afford the insurance ....... & isn't that a condition of booking a package ? (which I assume she was on)
  • Maybe people should be legally obligated to have insurance if going abroad? Buy in advance or there will be little booths at airports who charge a ripoff rate much like FX companies do.

I feel for her, and it looks like her family have been through a lot (relative murdered in May and a daughter who died in childbirth in 2010) however not buying insurance and then being bailed out creates "moral hazard" as Mr Cable once called it.

Insurance is basically crowd funding anyway. Apart from she hasn't (necessarily) paid her dues to anyone else.
  • edited August 2017
    I don't see why anybody should bail her out. If you can afford to go on Holiday, you can afford to pay a few quid for travel insurance.
  • Inspirational is what it is. Sod taking out home and car insurance this year. If it goes the shape of a pear, I'll have a crowdfunding knees up.

Then you are needlessly handing over your money to some of the biggest legally operating fraudsters in the world.

I was under the impression that The EHIC will not cover the cost of repatriating you to the UK should this be necessary?

That is what it looks like they are asking for £25k for.

Does the EHIC cover flying one across Europe in a hospital bed in a coma?

If so then, I guess, I have been wasting my money, save for the cover it gives me against theft, loss of possessions and cover for not being able to travel if I'm too sick to do so.

I was under the impression that The EHIC will not cover the cost of repatriating you to the UK should this be necessary?

If so then, I guess, I have been wasting my money, save for the cover it gives me against theft, loss of possessions and cover for not being able to travel if I'm too sick to do so.
    That is correct, all an EHIC card gives you (currently) is the right to medical assistance in the relevant countries.

From someone who's sister didn't bother taking out insurance for a day trip to France only to have a major stroke on the ferry going over, it wasn't cheap to get her repatriated.
  • edited August 2017
    7grand raised so far ? .. she'll be flying home in a private Lear .. her AND a Turkish nurse
  • You forget about the medical costs.

We (family of four) never ever take insurance out for travelling in EU. Have a look at your household insurance it will probably cover you for any loss or theft of items up to a certain amount.
  • Sponsored links:

We (family of four) never ever take insurance out for travelling in EU. Have a look at your household insurance it will probably cover you for any loss or theft of items up to a certain amount.
    You might want to reconsider, in light of this story and what others have said ?

You might want to reconsider, in light of this story and what others have said ?
    It would only be for health insurance and until we are finally out of the EU there is no need.

It would only be for health insurance and until we are finally out of the EU there is no need.
    The link below shows that repatriation from Spain to UK, for the most basic of air ambulance capabilities, starts at over £10k. That's why it's highly recommended you have travel insurance - neither your EHIC or home insurance will pay that cost.

iasmedical.com/page/82/air-ambulance-from-spain-to-UK
  • edited August 2017
    I was told that if you have a EHIC cover you will only be treated in government funded hospitals. In some countries these are few and far between which would be a major problem if your condition meant you needed immediate attention. Of course the person who told me this was trying to sell me travel insurance so I'm not sure they were being entirely honest with me.
  • Thanks for up-to-date info, I will continue to not get insurance for the EU whilst we are in it though.
  • Thanks for up-to-date info, I will continue to not get insurance for the EU whilst we are in it though.

Like an awful lot of people. So what would you do if you or one of your family had a serious illness which meant you need 2x Nurses and 2x doctors to repatriate you? Or meant you were in Boulogne hospital for 3 months, you all didn't get your planned flights home, extra hotel costs etc?

I get the 'I can get medical care in the EU' which 99% of the time is adequate but the other 1% not having insurance can cost you 10's of 1,000's. I reckon my dad spent over £20k with my sister and that's probably without the continual trips to France and hotels etc.

When you consider the cost of a family holiday I don't see why you wouldn't spend a few £'s more for that added security. Do you buy/have life insurance or not bother?
  • Rob7Lee said:

Thanks for up-to-date info, I will continue to not get insurance for the EU whilst we are in it though.

Like an awful lot of people. So what would you do if you or one of your family had a serious illness which meant you need 2x Nurses and 2x doctors to repatriate you? Or meant you were in Boulogne hospital for 3 months, you all didn't get your planned flights home, extra hotel costs etc?

I get the 'I can get medical care in the EU' which 99% of the time is adequate but the other 1% not having insurance can cost you 10's of 1,000's. I reckon my dad spent over £20k with my sister and that's probably without the continual trips to France and hotels etc.

When you consider the cost of a family holiday I don't see why you wouldn't spend a few £'s more for that added security. Do you buy/have life insurance or not bother?
    Or a more relevant question (on a football forum), would you bother with the cost of a replacement player in the squad for Ricky Holmes just in case he gets injured or would you just assume and/or hope that he is eligible to play most if not all 46 league games?
  • I certainly would not travel abroad without health or any type of insurance. I have a Royalties Account with the Royal Bank of Scotland and travel insurance is provided free.

EHIC only entitles you to get medical cover that would be available to a local. This varies considerably from country to country to country within the EU. It certainly doesn't cover repatriating you to UK. It's generally not that expensive, although does more expensive when you get older and pre existing conditions. Personally I would always recommend people to take it out. However shop around, say with comparethemarket, and rarely buy direct from travel agent or travel company.
    Don't delay though, get on to it straight away. Don't make the mistake I did once thinking I had plenty of time after booking a holiday and going. We had to cancel and lost the lot.

There is every need, the EHIC card will cover medical expenses though you may have to pay a surcharge I believe but WON'T cover repatriation