Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stan Kroenke launches blood sports TV subscription channel, 'My Outdoor TV'

Comments

• seth plum said:

seth plum said:

The animals they shoot need to be controlled anyway (whether they are injured or due to over population) and the dough these people pay to shoot these animals will go back into the park. You'd need to ask the people why they pay do it, it's not my bag, but at the end of the day it's called conservation

You're dead so I have conserved you?
    Human population is out of control by the way.
    I thought you were intelligent bloke
    Having a different point of view to you doesn't make me stupid.
    I am able to be stupid independently.
    I never called you stupid and I weren't referring to you having a different opinion, just the terrible comparison you drew.

• edited August 2017
    buckshee said:

If you don't like it , don't watch it.

Simple.

Thats what i told the person next door when they caught me chopping toes off of my kitten
  • shine166 said:

buckshee said:

If you don't like it , don't watch it.

Simple.

Thats what i told the person next door when they caught me chopping toes off of my kitten
    That's taking abstract to a whole new level. Does Damian Hurst know about this?
  • Turning it into an entertainment is an added frisson.
  • Stig said:

Stig said:

There's no such thing as 'blood sport'. It's just sadism. Inadequate people trying to prove how tough they are by taking it out on defenceless creatures.

Or hunting
    IMO hunting for food is absolutely fine. We've all got to eat. Hunting for the pleasure of killing is pathetic.
    I wouldn't share the time of day with someone who killed just for the sake of it, or just for a photo, but that rarely happens to be honest.

To kill for the sake of it, in the UK at least, is illegal.
  • Stig said:

Stig said:

There's no such thing as 'blood sport'. It's just sadism. Inadequate people trying to prove how tough they are by taking it out on defenceless creatures.

Or hunting
    IMO hunting for food is absolutely fine. We've all got to eat. Hunting for the pleasure of killing is pathetic.
    unless you live in a mudhut or an igloo.... the need to go hunting for survival are pretty non existant
  • shine166 said:

Stig said:

Stig said:

Or hunting
    unless you live in a mudhut or an igloo.... the need to go hunting for survival are pretty non existant
    Quality
  • edited August 2017
    Haven't watched the channel (and don't intend to) but I am highly doubtful that there will be even half an hour, ever, dedicated to ferreting for rabbits.

Even if they eat the meat of these 'big game' animals it is a byproduct, they kill them for sport and glorify that killing. It's totally unnecessary, it's even called trophy hunting, as opposed to rare meat sourcing. They don't do it for food, they do it for trophy. A channel such as this appears to be, further glorifies this and will to some, make this practice more socially acceptable.

I don't necessarily have an issue with population control, and culling for its sake. Trophy hunting is not population control, it's a gratuitous display of wealth and overwhelming technological advantage.

If it is back to back reruns of early Ray Mears' shows though, I shall be tuning in.
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:

Stig said:

Stig said:

Or hunting
    I never said anyone needed too. But if people are going to eat meat, I think it's in some ways preferable that they do their own dirty deeds rather that buy a shrink wrapped portion of pre-slaughtered beast.

Note: This post comes with a massive hypocrite warning. I've love a bit of flesh, but never have and never will kill for it.
  • Presumably the show will sell killing technology, outdoor clothing, footwear, bloodstain removal lotion, first aid kits, headgear, experience days and so on.
    Probably a spin off cookery programme.
  • Haven't watched the channel (and don't intend to) but I am highly doubtful that there will be even half an hour, ever, dedicated to ferreting for rabbits.

Even if they eat the meat of these 'big game' animals it is a byproduct, they kill them for sport and glorify that killing. It's totally unnecessary, it's even called trophy hunting, as opposed to rare meat sourcing. They don't do it for food, they do it for trophy. A channel such as this appears to be further glorifies this and will, to some, make this practice more socially acceptable.

I don't necessarily have an issue with population control, and culling for its sake. Trophy hunting is not population control, it's a gratuitous display of wealth and overwhelming technological advantage.

If it is back to back reruns of early Ray Mears' shows though, I shall be tuning in.

It may be "rare meat" to you, but it's not to the locals who benefit from it.

I can't quite get my head around the people who pay a lot of money to kill something, but the rest of it makes perfect sense, maybe not to folk who live in a western European city and just see the photos every now and again in the papers
  • seth plum said:

The animals they shoot need to be controlled anyway (whether they are injured or due to over population) and the dough these people pay to shoot these animals will go back into the park. You'd need to ask the people why they pay do it, it's not my bag, but at the end of the day it's called conservation

You're dead so I have conserved you?
    Human population is out of control by the way.
    alas, very true .. perhaps in a few years we will have live stalking of drug dealers/addicts from (say) the Philippines or Rio de Janeiro .. some news TV is already heading that way with live transmissions from 'the front' in Iraq and Syria ... except it's 'hunt the Islamic terrorist' and watch the dead being carried from the rubble
  • Haven't watched the channel (and don't intend to) but I am highly doubtful that there will be even half an hour, ever, dedicated to ferreting for rabbits.

Even if they eat the meat of these 'big game' animals it is a byproduct, they kill them for sport and glorify that killing. It's totally unnecessary, it's even called trophy hunting, as opposed to rare meat sourcing. They don't do it for food, they do it for trophy. A channel such as this appears to be further glorifies this and will, to some, make this practice more socially acceptable.

I can't quite get my head around the people who pay a lot of money to kill something, but the rest of it makes perfect sense, maybe not to folk who live in a western European city and just see the photos every now and again in the papers
    Agreed, i am aware most of the meat goes back to the village and obviously the big one off payment helps too (bribe to local government aside).

I think we broadly agree on the 'hunters' here though. I think just because someone is helped as a byproduct of their blood lust, it doesn't make it right. If they were conservationists, surely there are better ways to feed and incentivise villagers in these areas?

Agreed, i am aware most of the meat goes back to the village and obviously the big one off payment helps too (bribe to local government aside).

I think we broadly agree on the 'hunters' here though. I think just because someone is helped as a byproduct of their blood lust, it doesn't make it right. If they were conservationists, surely there are better ways to feed and incentivise villagers in these areas?
    Elephant - Rat - Mosquito - Chicken, which life is more valuable? Is probably the analogy these people would use
  • Not sure i understand - who would use that analogy?
  • The people who pay to kill big game
  • Sponsored links:

• 1) Chicken
    2) Elephant
    3) Rat
    4) Mosquito
    5) The people who pay to kill big game

*in order of tastiness/likeliness to make me sick
  • Nothing wrong with hunting if it is done for food or for good reason. It is disrespectful to life killing for fun.
  • Ah. Then I'm sure they'd say, none of the above. Only god and family or some such nonsense.

Yes, less relies on the apex predators/top of the food chain so logic says kill them as even mossies have their place.

If they want to kill they should get a job in an abbatoir. Or alternatively put down the expensive gun/scope/bow and give the beast a fighting chance.
  • Stig said:

Stig said:

Or hunting
    I wouldn't share the time of day with someone who killed just for the sake of it, or just for a photo, but that rarely happens to be honest.

It's not illegal though is it, there's plenty of bird shooting that's done just for the sake of it?
  • It was just a moral question chaps.

There's plenty of anti shooting / hunting folk who'd quite happily kill a spider that has wondered into their house, where as I have fallen out with people for doing it, but I'm quite happy to go out and shoot a few rabbits or pigeons / rear my own meat.
  • edited August 2017

Stig said:

Stig said:

Or hunting

It's not illegal though is it, there's plenty of bird shooting that's done just for the sake of it?
    There isn't, all wild birds are protected as stated in the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. There is a General Licence on some pest species (feral / wood pigeon, corvide etc) that can be shot, but only after all other means have been tried.

Just shooting a bird for the sake of it and leaving it there dead is illegal and highly frowned upon by the shooting community. People who have done it get reported