Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+++Charlton Rumours and News - Bite Size+++

edited July 2017 in General Charlton
No time to wade through the massive rumours thread? Get frustrated when other rumours and news threads go off piste? This thread is for you, you 'i haven't got time for this sh*t' miser.

No chat, just snippets of the latest Charlton rumours and news. (Photo credits: Who are all the pies, Charlton Fc, Reading Chronicle, Sky Sports)

17th May

Charlton announce their list of released players:

• Adam Chicksen
• Dimitar Mitov
• Terell Thomas
• Chris Millar
• Roger F***ing Johnson

Johnnie Jackson and Andrew Crofts trigger contract extensions, keeping them at the club until June 2018.

21st May

The Valley hosted its biggest crowd for a number of years as some bunch of Social Media kids played some other bunch of Social Media kids. 27,000 at The Valley and reportedly 14 million watching online. Absolute bonkers. The game was prematurely ended following a pitch invasion, though it doesn't appear that stewards were particularly interested in assaulting anyone at this type of pitch invasion.

8th June

29-year old Bradford striker Billy Clarke became Charlton's first capture of the summer, signing on a 2-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

Robinson: "If you look on paper, he is up there with some of the best players in League One. He is very effective - can play in a number of positions - and he is certainly going to bring goals, creativity, energy and an aggressive streak to the team.”

Clarke: "I was really flattered and over the moon when I heard of Charlton’s interest, I am really happy to be here and I cannot wait for pre-season to start. Having come so close to promotion in the previous season with Bradford, my goal is to go one step further this year and achieve it. A club like Charlton should be pushing for promotion and getting a club of this size into the Championship is what I want to do.”

11th June

The Charlton Upbeats were crowned national champions for the fifth time after winning the National Down’s syndrome competition.

11th June

In a bizarre draw, Charlton manage to get drawn twice in the first round of the CARABAO Cup, before settling on Exeter (away). The tie will go ahead on Tues 8th Aug.

Comments

• edited June 2017
    19th June

Three is the magic number, as Charlton snap up their third signing of the summer, Tariqe Fosu. The 21-year old winger / 'Number 10' joins from Reading on a 2-year deal for an undisclosed fee, having spent time on loan last season at Colchester.

Robinson: “He’s someone I was excited to buy as soon as I knew we could get him in. He’s one that excites fans, his feet are phenomenal and hopefully we’ll be seeing flashes of that next season. He’s great behind the striker and can play off one of the wings if needed. Tariqe is definitely one for the future."

Fosu: “As soon as it came about, I thought it was a massive opportunity for me. It’s a big club and I’m ready to get started. I’ve got a few mates that have played for Charlton and are at Charlton as well, so I spoke with them. I like to excite fans, I’m tricky with a bit of pace. Hopefully I can get some goals and assists as well."
  • edited June 2017
    20th June

Charlton announced that centre half Jason Pearce has signed a new contract until June 2020.

Robinson: “He showed how important he is with his brilliant performances when he returned at the end of the season and I’m looking forward to seeing him in action next season. He’s a commanding defender, a leader on the pitch and he brings a lot to this team.”

Pearce: “I want to keep progressing and be at a progressive club and I believe that Charlton is the right place for me. Hopefully the fans and the club have seen what I can bring to the team and I hope that I can be part of getting the club up to where it belongs.”
  • edited June 2017
    21st June

Fixture list is announced, and Charlton will open their season on 5th August with a home game against Bristol Rovers.

Full link to fixtures can be found HERE

Robinson gave an update interview:

https://youtu.be/BUCRRMAExlE
  • edited June 2017
    28th June

Charlton's away fixture at Northampton Town, originally scheduled for Saturday, March 31st, has been moved forward to Good Friday, March 30th (3pm).

The away trip to Wigan has been brought forward to Friday 29th December (7.45)

And away to Southend on Boxing Day will now be a 1pm ko
  • Sponsored links:

• 7th July

Charlton have been drawn with Portsmouth and Crawley in Group A of the much maligned Checkatrade Trophy. We will also face a Cat.1 U21 - with the draw for that being made Wed 12th July. Chelsea, Fulham, Reading, Southampton, Swansea, Tottenham or West Ham are the sides we could be matched with.

---

The 1st squad returned from the training camp in Ireland before flying out again on Monday for their pre-season friendlies. No new signings have been during in the last three weeks, though Robinson assesses the current position and summarises the training week

• 10th July

Charlton play their first pre-season friendly tonight versus Crumlin United. On the positive front, the SLP report that Ricky Holmes is close to signing a new deal with Charlton.
  • 10th July

It was closer than the SLP realised, as just before lunchtime Ricky Holmes put pen to paper on a new three-year deal, tieing him to the Addicks until 2020.

Holmes: “I want to play for this football club and there seems to be a better vibe around the whole place. Hopefully, we can all get together and get promoted this season.”

Robinson: “He wanted to be here. I understood that there were worries about the rumours, but it was clear to see that he was happy, but it’s great news. I’m happy for him, for the club and for the fans, because they’ve got their man who they wanted to stay."

• 11th July

LIMERICK 3 CHARLTON 2

When Charlton played Limerick they failed
    And an unbeaten pre-season tour was derailed
    Let's blame Roland Rat
    And his poor sidekick Kat
    Some already think SS. Promotion has sailed

Well, no one does really. But I was majorly struggled to complete the rhyme :-)

Charlton gave up a 2-0 half time lead to taste defeat for the first time in their pre-season tour of Ireland. Joe Aribo and Josh Magennis with the goals for the Addicks, who once again utilised their full squad throughout the game.

Billy Clarke: “It was a really good test for us. They are a good side, they really worked us and it was a great pre-season game for us to try and get some sharpness in. Yes, we want to win the games but this was more about fitness, getting sharper and working on some tactical things. Game sharpness, angles, movement and things like that will come in the next few weeks. It was only our second game and we know that there is still plenty to improve on.”

“I had a bit of a calf injury but I am over that now. I feel good, feel fit and am hoping to improve on the little things – like my sharpness – now. The main thing is that we are all ready, come the first game of the season. These pre-season games are mainly about fitness but at the same time you want to improve on what you have done before."

Robinson: “There are so many things that are still not there, but they’re not going to be yet. That’s why we have pre-season, otherwise you would just start the season. We’ve got a lot of lead in the legs and a few players had to sit out tonight, but players from the U23s have stepped in and done wonderfully well.”

"It’s about minutes, not about being disappointed and we still need three more players for this team. We need to start signing those players in certain positions, that’s obvious, and once we do that, we get those players back in, get more minutes under the belt, we’ll be ready."

Goals from last night are on the link below:

• edited July 2017
    12th July

UC DUBLIN 4 CHARLTON 1

The decision to play three games in three days now looks a particularly dubious one, as a fatigued Charlton were comfortably dispatched by the University College team from the second tier of Irish football. Karlan Ahearne-Grant pulled a late goal back for the Addicks.

Jackson: “We were off the pace and we got caught out at the start of the game. It was disappointing to go in 3-0 down at half-time – it wasn’t great and we weren’t happy with it – but it is not the be all and end all in these games. It’s about fitness; working on a few things. Obviously, we are disappointed because 4-1 doesn’t look great but the most important thing is that we have come away without any injuries, we have got more fitness work in and it will benefit us come the start of the league season.”

Robinson: “It’s been a good trip and I don’t think anybody would say that we haven’t worked them hard. You don’t want to get beat. I thought our finishing was poor and they pretty much had four shots in total and scored four goals, so it just shows you that either their finishing was very good or we defended very poorly"

Goals on tweet below:

• edited July 2017
    14th July

Charlton announced they had shifted the unwanted striker Nicky Ajose out on a season-long loan to League One rivals Bury. Ajose scored seven times for the Addicks last season before being shipped out to Swindon.

15th July

Swiftly following Ajose out the door is Jorge Teixeira, who has been offloaded to Roland's Belgium club Sint Truiden on a permanent deal. Tex earned a reputed £12k a week, though like Ajose move, its not known what financial sweeteners have been included in the deal to push things through. Teixeira joined when Riga was manager in 2016 and made 39 appearances for the club.
  • 15th July

WELLING 0 CHARLTON 3

Charlton come through the first part of their Saturday local double-header with a comfortable victory over Conference South side Welling. Patrick Bauer, Jason Pearce and Mikhail Kennedy netted the goals for the Addicks in front of 1,370 at Park View Road. Charlton gave a trial in the second half to a youngster called Michael Fernandes

GREENWICH BOROUGH 0 CHARLTON 4

The second half of Charlton's double header proved equally as comfortable, as the other half of the amalgamated first team / U23 squad eased past the Isthmian League Division 1 South outfit. Reeco Hackett-Fairchild, Cristian Ceballos and Mark Marshall saw Charlton run into a convincing half time lead, with Billy Clarke adding a fourth in the second half.

Following the game, Karl Robinson answered questions by the SLP regarding rumours of the future of Nabby Sarr and Christian Ceballos at the club

Robinson: “Are they still going to be here, time will tell – we’re not too sure. Whilst they’ve been here I’ve asked them to conduct themselves to show they respect me and our team and they’ve done all of the above in a very professional manner. Whatever the decision will be in the future, here and now they’ve put a bit of a shift in for us. Is there better out there is the question. If we’re going to let this players go, we have to replace them with better otherwise we weaken ourselves.”
  • 18th July

Charlton reveal their new away kit for the season, to be worn this evening in a pre-season friendly at Dover. Unconfirmed rumours suggest the delay to the home strip is due to it arriving too close a shade of orange, and has had to be changed.

• edited July 2017
    19th July

DOVER 0 CHARLTON 2

A late Recco Hackett-Fairchild strike added to a first half header from Jake Forster-Caskey as the Addicks secured another victory on local non-league soil.

Robinson: “We’re starting to look like a decent squad and we still want to bring four more players in,” he said. “Thats the objective between now and the beginning of the season to really push the team. The first 45 minutes was very good. The speed of the ball in the final third, our rotations looked good, we dropped into zones that we’d worked very hard on. Our ball speed is starting to improve now, as is the bravery and the style. I’m happy with a lot of things."

“Second half, we were way off it - they made a lot of changes at half-time, which raised the stakes a little bit. ”

Robinson also commented on the (lack of) signing situation.

Only two players have got their places for the start of the season right now. That’s how up in the air a lot of things are. We’re starting to look like a decent squad and we still want to bring four more players in. Certain people have come back in great condition. “It’s important that there is competition for places, sometimes people can become complacent with that. If I was a fan, I’d be wanting signings left, right and centre because of the excitement. But we’ve got to be clever in what we do. I have players I want to buy but we have to be a bit more patient before I can get them.”

I'm sure @LouisMend will be the first to congratulate him on his patience.

Meanwhile, the SLP seem to believe that the widely-known transfer of Christian Ceballos to Roland's Belgium team will be happening today.

• Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017
    20th July

It was confirmed yesterday that Cristian Ceballos was to be the third player to transition over to Sint Truiden this summer, joining permanently on a three-year deal. Ceballos made five appearances for Charlton last season before being loaned out to Sint Truiden. He had however impressed in his performances in pre-season so far.

Robinson when asked about rumoured interest in Gillingham midfielder Josh Wright, gave a 'triffic player response that Harry Redknapp would have been proud of:

"Listen, Josh Wright has been here before, he’s a player that I very much like, he’s somebody who I think could definitely play at the top end of League One.‎But we've got Crofty, Kashi, Joe and Jake, that’s a lot of players in there.‎ And when you talk about him maybe playing as a number 10, we've got Karlan, Ricky, Tariqe, so right now it’s not a position that we’re looking to fill.‎ But he’s certainly somebody who I really like, I do like his talent and mentality but right now, we’re fully occupied in those positions.”

Robinson also spoke on the general lack of signings, which some cynics suggested was softening people up for a continued lack of recruitment:

"I'll be honest with you, I made some big mistakes at MK Dons where I was so eager to bring players in so soon. I did it one year and I didn't bring in the type of player that aided the success of the club. And I learned from that very early on. Sometimes going with what you've got and youth players are sometimes better than who you can bring in immediately."

• edited July 2017
    21st July

Fourth signing of the summer secured, with popular left back Jay Dasilva retuning from Chelsea on a season-long loan.

Dasilva: “I’m very happy to be back at Charlton for the season. I really enjoyed myself here last season and I feel like I did well when I got my chance in the team. We finished strongly and I’m hoping that I can build on that momentum when the new season starts."

Robinson:“Everyone at the football club saw how influential he was in the last few games of the season. He worked really hard to put himself in that position to play. He brings pace, talent, desire and a willingness to improve. He’s only going to keep improving."

• 22nd July

STEVENAGE 1 CHARLTON 2

Charlton come through their latest pre-season test with a 2-1 victory away to Stevenage. Karlan Ahearne-Grant and Jake Forster-Caskey ensured that the League Two outfit were given both barrels. Main concern though was a knee injury sustained by new signing Mark Marshall

Match thread and post-match thoughts can be found on the link HERE

Robinson: "I thought our football in the first fifteen minutes was sensational, probably the best I’ve seen since I’ve been at the club - how quickly we moved the football and how efficient we were. The biggest disappointment for me was the lack of taking our chances. We paid for it, we were 1-0 down and you thought ‘where’s that come from’ as we were the better team.
    But we recovered really well from that and some of our football today was excellent. Some of our decision making wasn’t great and that can improve but we’re still two weeks away and that continuity and understanding will get better.”

On Marshall's knee: "Hopefully it won’t be too bad. It doesn’t look good but we’ll see.”

• 24th July

Speaking on TalkSport, Robinson confirmed Mark Marshall's injury and spoke of his desire for more signings:

"It’s not good. It’ll be a long one and we’re disappointed about it. We’re looking fitter and getting better. Hopefully the board are listening, we still need four more players.

“We’ve not got long to go but we still need three or four players in key positions."
  • 25th July

CHARLTON 0 NORWICH 2

Charlton: Phillips, Djiksteel, Bauer, Sarr, Barnes, Crofts, Forster-Caskey (Charles-Cook 53), Fosu (Stewart 69), Clarke (Hackett-Fairchild 83), Holmes (Ahearne-Grant 68), Magennis (Novak 75).
    Att: 2,650 (480 away fans)

Charlton succumbed to defeat with goals either side of the break from Yanic Wildschut and Steven Naismith respectively. Konsa remained an unused sub amid speculation he could be the latest youngster sold by the club. Djiksteel and Sarr appeared to be the two best performing Addicks, .

Match thread and Post match thoughts can be found HERE

Robinson
    : "I thought we were very good in the first half against a good side. Considering the players we had out, we looked a very good team at times. I thought we moved the ball efficiently, I thought we pressed well, we looked compact and they didn’t have many chances.

“I thought we were poor in the first 15 minutes of the second half. We looked disjointed and didn’t work off our shape, but I thought it was still a very good performance. I’m seeing signs of us getting better. The most important thing today was that the players got more minutes under their belt and they’ve all come through unscathed, which is pleasing.”

• 28th July

Curbs and Gritt are announced as team captains for back to The Valley Anniversary CACT game taking place on Sunday 17th at 1pm. Keith Peacock and Dave Berry will be managing the two teams.

A host of ex players since we returned to The Valley in December 92 will be on show, and as they are announced you will probably be able to keep track of them here, http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/78618/gritt-v-curbs-legends-game-at-the-valley/p1 or on the official site

• edited July 2017
    28thJuly

Done Deal - Ben Amos signs on loan from Bolton for the rest of the season. Amos started out in the Manchester Utd academy, so not to be confused with Amos the barman from the Woolpack from Emmerdale as was mooted in the transfer rumours thread. He joins on a season long loan and KR has since confirmed him as the number 1 choice in between the sticks this season.

Robinson “We’re delighted to bring in a goalkeeper of the experience and pedigree that Ben has. He’s played a lot of games in the Championship. I’ve spoken with Ben and he has a real drive and determination to help get this club promoted.”

Amos "“I’m really happy to have signed and I’m looking forward to getting back playing again. This is a massive club, promotion is our ultimate goal and I hope that I can play my part in helping Charlton to be successful.”

Good luck Ben and here's to many clean sheets

• edited July 2017
    29th July

Charlton 6 - 1 Ipswich

The lads round off their pre - season in style by trouncing the tractor boys of the championship 6-1 at The Valley. For those of you that were there it seemed like we played some very good football and perhaps got a view into what would be KR's starting XI against Bristol Rovers next Saturday.

The line up was:

Amos, Solly, Bauer (Sarr 84), Konsa, Dasilva (Barnes 89), Kashi (Dijksteel 85), Forster-Caskey (Ahearne-Grant 85), Fosu (Crofts 85), Holmes (Jackson 85), Clarke (Watt 71), Magennis.

With the goals coming from

Bauer 11, Fosu 27, Magennis 31, 39, Holmes 51, 77

Full match report can be found here, https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/597cb2962c0d4/pre-season-report-charlton-6-ipswich-town-1

And if any of you that were there are inclined to give player marks, http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/78628/charlton-v-ipswich-player-marks#latest you can add them here

Robinson “We’re ready for next Saturday. I want my team to play a certain way. It’s not tippy-tappy, but it’s aggressive football and today everything just came together.

“I still want to bring in two players before next Saturday and we’ll see what we can try and do next week.

“We need to make sure we have a strong mentality to believe in ourselves. We’re going to have a double session on Tuesday and there is more running and testing to be done. I’d like to think some of our fitness levels will be right up on what we expect them to be.”

“I was pleased with our mentality and our shape. Those goals don’t just come because we’re open and expansive. It’s about working between the lines and being able to exploit the opposition when the chances come along.

“The first half against Stevenage replicated that, but we didn’t take our chances there. Today, the chances came along and we took them. It was a very, very good performance, but as we all know, it’s meaningless. But it’s a confidence boost going into the new season.”

Ben Reeves and agent also at the game

An interesting development was the fact that Ben Reeves and agent, were also at the game. The on/off transfer rumour about the free agent linking up with his former MK Dons boss has been persisting for a while now, but the fact that he was seen at the game with a week until the season starts, perhaps gives us the clearest indication yet he may be ready to put pen to paper.......We will see what happens on Monday

• edited August 2017
    1st August

With the season just days away, the rumours about Ben Reeves signing still persist, as KR gives his thoughts on Reeves, and other targets to Rich Cawley

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/27920/charlton-boss-discusses-move-ben-reeves-chasing-couple-transfer-deals-league-one-season-starts/

Robinson “I tried to buy him in January. We felt he wasn’t our price in the market back then – him and Samir Carruthers, so we ended up not doing the deal.

“Ben Reeves had a year when his injury record wasn’t great but, apart from that, he is one of the most efficient players in the league at one stage in terms of goals and assists. Everything fans look for in a player.

“He came to the game. Do I like him – 100 per cent. We’ll have to see what happens.

“But he isn’t the only player we’re in for. People need to understand that. There are three or four players we’re in for this week. Will we get them? We don’t know. You can imagine if we’re in for a player it is at the top end of League One – if not middle of the Championship range.

“It’s not that we’re in for players and should be getting them. We’re not going for players who should be in this league.

“We’re competing with big clubs for players. Hopefully we can get one or two over the line this week.”

In addition, the first batch of legends are announced for the back to The Valley game on September 17th

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5980b52689df5/charlton-legends-confirm-their-attendance-for-valley-hosted-charity-match

In addition to the two team captains, Curbs & Gritt, managed by Keith Peacock & Dave Berry, the following are confirmed

Simon Webster

Colin Walsh

Scott Minto

Garry Nelson

Robert Lee

Lee Bowyer

Sasa Ilic

Clive Mendonca

Chris Powell

it's a strong start with some real fan favourites and it will be interesting to see the next batch as they get announced. Unfortunately Omar Puso is unavailable
  • edited August 2017
    3rd August

Done Deal: Free Agent Ben Reeves signs on 2 year deal

After a summer of speculation, the club finally land free agent Ben Reeves on a 2 year deal. Ben played under KR at MK Dons, and joins with a good reputation as being a talented attacking midfielder/forward player

Karl RobinsonHe is someone that has won a Player of the Year and a promotion with me, so I know him very well,” Robinson said. “He knows the system I play, knows me and he knows what we are trying to achieve here.

“I want to thank the board. This was a deal they really wanted to do as well, and it was one that was really backed by the club.

Beginning his career at Southampton, Reeves made his senior debut for the Saints against Preston North End in the League Cup.

He then enjoyed loan stints at Dagenham & Redbridge and Southend United before switching to MK Dons, where he would enjoy a hugely-successive four seasons.

Reeves won the club’s Player of the Year award in 2014 and a year later he played a pivotal role as they won promotion to the Championship.

It feels great to sign,” Reeves said. “It’s done now - that’s the most important thing - and now I can really focus on the football side of things.

“I know Karl really well. The relationship between managers and players is really important and hopefully Karl can lead us in the right direction and I want to be part of that.”

In other news, it is rumoured that Middlesborough striker George Miller may also be joining the club, and Reeves signing may mean the departure of Watt

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!