Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What are YOUR desert island discs?

We'll go with five choices. Name the artist, the song and if you like, a brief explanation of why the song means something to you.

Comments

• Red Red Robin - Billy Cotton ( do I have to say why?)

Stone in love with you - Johnny Mathis ( my mum used to play this when I was a nipper)

Lovely Day - Bill Withers ( Makes me smile every time I hear it and I make a point of playing it the day I go on holiday)

Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder ( in my eyes the perfect pop song - reminds me of growing up in the 70's )

Momma hold my hand - Aloe Blacc ( A beautiful song that brings me to tears every time )

There are so many more I could have picked and the list would change every day.

( you can keep the bible and the complete works of Shakespeare by the way !)

• Could change depending on my mood, but it the moment I go with this:

Sweet - Hell Raiser (First record I ever bought)
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Favourite song ever - and the title's pretty fitting for a desert island)
    Fad Gadget - Ricky's Hand (Got to have something by my favourite band)
    Terence Trent D'Arby - Sign Your Name (To remind me of Mrs Stig - our wedding song)
    Primal Scream - Country Girl (The most played song on my iPod, so I guess I could deal with hearing it a lot).

Just about to post when Victoria by The Fall started up. Might have to have a re-think.
  • Would never, ever have guessed Terence Trent D'arby would feature here!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Would never, ever have guessed Terence Trent D'arby would feature here!

I probably wouldn't pick it but for sentimental reasons, but that whole Hardline album is fantastic.

• Hamburger Concerto - Focus
    Class from start to finish. The best band I have seen. Still touring and still the best.

Going to see Focus this Thursday in Poole. Can't wait.

• Oasis - don't look back in anger, this song has been bellowed out, pissed up with my pals more times than I can care to remember. It is also that perfect song where the words literally mean nothing but also actually mean everything. It's how I used to close discos and it's the song me and my wife left the celebration of our marriage to

Green Day - letterbomb. "The town bishops an extortionist, he don't even know that you exist" I could have picked 2 dozen Green Day records but this one gets me

Dire straights - romeo and juliet. Mine and my wife's first dance. The words make sense and the guitar playing/plucking is immense

The Twang - wide awake. Listen to the song and tell me it doesn't make sense to someone a bit lost during his twenties

The verve - the drugs don't work. This song isn't about recovering drug addicts trying to convince one another not to take drugs. It relates to everyone watching someone going through cancer treatment and watching that treatment make them ill. I get it

On another day I'd stick with 3 of my 5 picks

Great thread
  • Requiem - Gabriel Faure
    The sweetest, kindest and best Requiem ever composed.

St Matthew Passion - J.S. Bach
    Sublime. J.S. Bach is in a league of his own.

A Visit to Newport Hospital - Uriel (Egg)
    Memories of Ryde Castle Hotel, Isle of Wight, late 1960s. Featuring a young Steve Hillage on guitar and Dave Stewart's swirling, dreamy keyboards.

HamVeggieburger Concerto - Focus
    Class from start to finish. The best band I have seen. Still touring and still the best.

Nights Over Egypt - The Jones Girls
    Co-written by the wonderful Dexter Wansel. Beautiful melodies and wonderful production.

; )

• Very difficult but here goes:

What becomes of the Broken Hearted - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQywZYoGB1g?v=2vf3ZE7CLg0

Alternative Ulster - Stiff Little Fingers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLo7z50Tt2g

White Man in Hammersmith Palais - The Clash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96UtZPLiT90

Love in a Void - Siouxsie and the Banshees https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNJ9eWyxnZ8

Waiting for the Great Leap Forward - Billy Bragg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjLXyqD3lvI

Which leaves no room for Lola / The Kinks, Dear Prudence / Siouxsie, Who knows where the time goes? / Fairport Convention, New England / Billy Bragg or Kirsty McColl or even Billy and Kirsty (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v4a6NaU5Rg) and so many more.
  • Roxy Music - Over You
    Omd- Romance of the Telescope
    Frank Tovey - Luddite Joe
    Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
    Japan - Taking Islands in Africa
  • Sponsored links:

• Tom Petty - Handle with Care
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
    Muse - The Globalist
    Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes
    Joy Formidable - Whirring
  • Cat Stevens - Wild World
    Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
    Pearl Jam - Black
    Bowie - Starman
    Stone Roses - I Am the Resurrection
  • Tough.
    Midnight train to Georgia - Gladys Knight
    Bold as love - Jimmy Hendrix. Both these features prominently at my wedding as did
    Saint-saens - third organ concerto so that gets a nod
    Baby I love you - the Ronettes
    I am the resurrection - Stone Roses. Two flawless pieces of music.
  • edited July 2017
    Ace of Spades - Motörhead
    Enter Sandman - Metallica
    Step on - Happy Mondays
    Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley
    Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana

• edited July 2017
    Might as well throw mine in -

R.E.M. - World Leader Pretend (live at Mountain Stage)

Before they went acoustic with Automatic, this song showed how beautiful they could be when slightly restrained, and by fully employing the Mike Mills harmonies.

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
    Don McLean - American Pie

Because of dad, and car journeys to school or Selhurst Park in the 80s. Plus they're long! And Pie is probably the greatest song ever written, lyrically at least. All Meat Loaf songs are hilarious when you pay attention to the words.

Radiohead - There There

Because I never get bored of it. As soon as it finishes I start it again. The combination of sounds is incredible, and the way it builds up and up is something else. Amazing song.

Grandaddy - Now It's On

The song that was going around my head that caused me to ask this question. Not my favourite band, though I do really like them, there's something about this song that makes me want to play it on repeat.

PS - I urge anyone who dislikes Radiohead (it's a thing here I noticed!) to put on some headphones and close your eyes while listening to There There. If you can go the whole song without wanting to tap the drum beat I will accept you'll never like them.

Edit - the sound quality of the YT version isn't good enough so I'm deleting that link.

• Today

The wild goose - a song my mother sang to me when a child

Forever Young - Bob Dylan - A song about being a parent which brings tears to my eyes

Everybody know this is nowhere - Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Listening to this song and album is cold flats/houses with the wife to be.

A Lark Ascending - Vaughn Williams gloriously evocative, drift away music

Born for a Purpose - Dr Alimantado. Uplifting roots and culture reggae for when others try to get to you.

Janie Jones - the Clash. As soon as those drums kick in I'm 16 again, experiencing punk as it happened.

Perfect Day - Lou Reed. A perfect love song spending time with someone you love (it's not about drugs)

Happy in the skin your living in - Grand Drive about growing older, seeing the days you thought would never come but being happy with that

That's eight but I'm playing Roy Plumley rules

I'll keep the Shakespeare, swap the Bible for Darwin's origin of species and take the complete works of Evelyn Waugh.

Luxury? An endless supply of good wine to while away the evenings
  • Impossible but as I type this they would be;
    Buddy Holly - it doesn't matter anymore.
    R.E.M. - talk about the passion.
    Simon and Garfunkel - sound of silence.
    SOS Band - high hopes.
    Oasis - acquiesce.

I like a lot of different genres so try to cover the variety in taste.
    Feel guilty that I haven't included any Motown or Spector.
  • Great to see another R.E.M. fan! Not everyone can carry the weight of the world!

• Taking the desert island context, but playing by @JiMMy's rules.

It is hard to wrap up a memory of a life growing up in an increasingly multicultural London, with my love of football writ large. There are so many great 'London' songs, and memory songs too. However something I find so evocative of my life experience, and always initiates memories is

Don't stop the carnival. Alan Price.

Agree with @Annakissed regarding Faure. Sheer awesome emotional and aesthetic experience. Needed on the island.

Heart Like a Wheel. Kate and Anna McGarrigle wraps up the need to be lost in emotion like many other brilliant songs do too. This one represents all of them.

Achilles Last Stand by Led Zeppelin would be the representative of the rock, air instrument leaping about great playing and singing exhuberance of this great genre.

Finally a standout recording of a wonderful gospel choir singing Amazing Grace.
    Timeless lovely tune and something to sing along with, participate in.
  • Never actually thought about it before, funny how they're not necessarily your 'favourite' songs. This also is what I love about this site... killing time on a train down to London deep in thought about music and old memories.

Lightning Seeds - Sugar Coated Iceberg

Listened to it on repeat as a young kid, used to absolutely love it. If dragged out for a wedding/birthday (no babysitter) I'd ask the DJ to play it as soon as I was 'allowed to' and then wait on the edge of my seat until they did.

Coldplay - Yellow

First gig I went to and used to love their music.

The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

Sums up my time in t' North when I was at uni. Big dose of nostalgia with this one.

Eagles - Take it Easy

So... the short version is my immediate family had a tough time with illness, work, relationships, money - everything for this period of time... it happens - that's life/family! However there was this "eye of the storm" moment/period where everything was just great... and right at the beginning of that period we were out at a restaurant all together and a band came out and played this song (one of my favourites). I just remember taking stock of the situation and being truly happy at that exact snapshot in time.

#5?... Don't think I have another that I feel quite the same about yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes

Good call, my favourite song from one of my favourite albums of all time.
  • Great thread Jimmy; love stuff like this. Have a real eclectic taste and very hard to narrow it down to 5, but here goes:

1. Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode. My absolute favourite band and this track, although one of their most commercial, epitomises what they are about and has a great melody.

2. Society - Eddie Vedder. Taken from the soundtrack of the awesome film 'Into the Wild' (true story). Just love the lyrics and the power in their meaning.

3. The Biggest Lie - Elliott Smith. Was introduced to this artist 5 years ago by a mate and fell in love with this track and the emotion contained within the lyrics. Kind of summed Smith up really and his ability to portray his inner turmoil in his song writing. It was great catching up on his repertoire of work. A sad loss.

4. Everyday - Buddy Holly. Could have picked any of his tracks really. Love his music (and the musical) and the transformational impact that he had on music moving forward. Such a sad loss at such a young age. He would have gone on to equal the greatness of Presley in my opinion.

5. Blasphemous Rumours - Depeche Mode. Had to have another Depeche track and could have picked many. This was the one that converted me though as they left behind their 'teeny bop' stuff post Speak and Spell/Vince Clarke (best thing that happened to them). Whilst it's lyrics are simple, I am not at all religious and they just about sum up the futility of believing in something that does not exist (i.e. If god(s) do exist, why is the world such a crap place?) in my opinion.

• Cat Stevens - Wild World
    Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
    Pearl Jam - Black
    Bowie - Starman
    Stone Roses - I Am the Resurrection

Top choices
  • Would take me months to choose. Some great choices on here though!
  • Great thread Jimmy; love stuff like this. Have a real eclectic taste and very hard to narrow it down to 5, but here goes:

4. Everyday - Buddy Holly. Could have picked any of his tracks really. Love his music (and the musical) and the transformational impact that he had on music moving forward. Such a sad loss at such a young age. He would have gone on to equal the greatness of Presley in my opinion.

100%
  • Would take me months to choose. Some great choices on here though!

Same here. Hard enough to scale it down to 8 never mind 5.
  • Beach Boys! Oasis! The Clash! The Kinks! Into The Valley (but Red Red Robin wins that out every day)! Bob Dylan! Lou Reed/Velvet Underground! PINK FLOYD! BRAD MEHLDAU NOOOOOOOOOOO! Herbie Hancock! County Basie! Daft Punk! Michael Jackson!

Ah shit all these reminders, I've gone down such a rabbit hole now