Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shares Thread for the next Gordon Gekko's

Comments

• Be patient with Lloyds they are the shares equivalent of Sheffield United.

They will come good

That's it B72, you are my new guru, can you let you let me know when I'm going down the pan, don't say now I've had a nice day.
    Lloyds now 64.43 they are starting to move.
    I trust you are on-board Jon
    Yep, inherited some years ago so a connection to my late father also, he would have loved watching them pick up, fingers crossed.
    Currently over 69p per share.
    Fingers crossed indeed
  • Low and behold a wee cheque in the the post, cheered me up on a dull Monday.
  • Thanks llyods but finding a collapsed shelf in the greenhouse has soured my mood.
  • This time next year Jon we will be millionaire 's :wink:
  • Hope your right.
  • WPP share price has bombed over the last 24 hours. Not sure if the Corbyn wobbles are playing a part - will be interesting to see if the markets rebound if we have a Tory majority in the morning.
  • WPP share price has bombed over the last 24 hours. Not sure if the Corbyn wobbles are playing a part - will be interesting to see if the markets rebound if we have a Tory majority in the morning.

Can't see much movement to write home about. FTSE down a little, probably largely due to Vodaphone going ex-div.

They reported a fairly soft trading update yesterday - meanwhile there has been the ongoing battle between shareholders and the Board regarding remuneration.
  • Sponsored links:

• You sir are a diamond... Had a few grand in my pension on it. Just dumped half of them at a 548% profit
  • One to watch is KIBO. When the PPA is announced, it should fly but being Africa a few delays are not unheard of.
  • CAFCsayer said:

You sir are a diamond... Had a few grand in my pension on it. Just dumped half of them at a 548% profit
    Sling a score in one of those injured persons (London Bridge) accounts and we will call it quits.
  • edited June 2017
    For a 5 year plan, Sirius Minerals ticks all the boxes in my opinion.
    This is something happening in England that is easily monitored.
    Furthermore, should make the FTSE100 once they start producing.
    This is a product the world needs, and the population isn't getting lower.
    Tunnelling is becoming more simplistic, and at the moment they are ahead of schedule.
    Be careful of BZM, it is an extremely volatile share. Dealing in a mineral that is 300 miles from a port and in Africa certainly doesn't help. The government cant be trusted, but the upside is massive. Jumped out at 2.5 with 70% of share ownership. If it touches 5% I am all out regardless of potential.
    I have seen it drop 12p to 5p in seconds.

If you do stay in, bare in mind it pisses down over there from September until November and you would do well to find the mine, yet alone get anything out of it.
  • CAFCsayer said:

You sir are a diamond... Had a few grand in my pension on it. Just dumped half of them at a 548% profit
    Sling a score in one of those injured persons (London Bridge) accounts and we will call it quits.
    Only just seen this, consider it done
  • So what are the best sites for buying and selling shares and running your portfolio from?

What are the fees like? Any free ones? How much data do they give you?

I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to have a little spare cash and would like to have a small scale play around. Being an economist this should be a walk in the park! ;)
    I did a few 'virtual portfolios' when I was at uni and always made money....
  • So what are the best sites for buying and selling shares and running your portfolio from?

I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to have a little spare cash and would like to have a small scale play around. Being an economist this should be a walk in the park! ;)

Most banks offer a share dealing service and when you open an account you get a virtual portfolio that you can play around with.

Their rates are as good as stockbrokers and unless you intend to sit in front of a monitor for 12 hours a day buying and selling on a regular basis you won't qualify for any discounts.

Good luck

http://www.halifax.co.uk/sharedealing/
  • If you want a freebie that monitors any shares you have or are playing with before buying give www.advfn.com a try. It is free to join and you can load any shares you already own into the portfolio section and watch any shares you are thinking of buying in the monitoring section.

You do need to pay a subscription to avoid it timing out however it depends on your usage, it does for me without paying a penny.
  • Thanks all.
  • Sponsored links:

• You can't go too far wrong with Hargreaves Lansdowne for cost/service

You can, because Halifax is the cheapest.

£12.50 per trade? Don't think that is the cheapest. Depends on size of trades you make I guess

They're not....

They're not....
    Apologies. HL at £11.95 beat Halifax at £12.50 for small deals. (I'm presuming canters won't be a market mover).

They're not....
    Apologies. HL at £11.95 beat Halifax at £12.50 for small deals. (I'm presuming canters won't be a market mover).
    Certainly not... just wanna have a little play around maybe throw a little something at something more long term and leave it for a while.
  • To be fair it's not just cost per trade that's relevant but also any annual charges plus other factors like FX translation costs, fund discounts etc..

However in my opinion HL offer an outstanding combination of value and (modest) ancillary services eg research.
  • edited July 2017
    Just got an account with GetStocks. £7 per trade or 0.12% I think although there is a 0.7% money transfer fee in and out of the platform on top I beleive. No annual costs.

Can't trade AIM though