Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Electrical help - dodgy builder

Posted a thread on here a few weeks back about a dodgy builder who I'm now building a case against, as he's taken a load of money off me but left jobs unfinished or has done poor quality work that needs redoing throughout my house. That thread was about gas safety and through the help of fellow lifers, I discovered he had illegally installed my boiler and gas hobs. So I thought I'd ask on here again for some help, but today's subject is electrics, as I'm a bit confused when I try and read online as to whats legal or not.

So, as part of the refurb to my house, there was some small electrical work that needed doing. One part was moving a plug socket to a new location on a wall. Is this something that should be done by a qualified electrician, or can anyone do this? Going to attempt to upload two photos of how he's left the plug socket, in the one you can see the wires coming out of the bottom of the socket - surely that's dangerous?

Another job that a sub-contractor of his did, was adding electrics to run a water-feature in the garden. Electrics go from pond pump into a newly installed waterproof socket in my shed. From there they go through my garden and into a new waterproof double plug socket on the outside of my house. This then feeds into my living room and connects to an existing plug in living room. It all seems to work fine, but fairly certain the guy who installed it wasn't an electrician. So was this illegal and could I also be liable if problems with any of this occur at a later date?

Cheers for any help again

Comments

• hopefully this works...
  • edited July 2017
    The moving of sockets would come under the category of minor works, you should have received a minor works certificate from the electrician for this.

The installation of a feed to your water
    Pump in your garden sounds a bit dodgy, I personally would have wanted it on its own feed, depending on what load it's pulling. I definitely wouldn't have incorporated into your General ring circuit. Again, this due to being an alteration of the wiring of an existing circuit should have been tested and then you should have been presented with a minor works certificate.

Obviously I can only advise you on what you've said, but at the very least the alterations should have been tested and signed off on a minor works certificate.

I wouldn't commit to saying its illegal without seeing test results etc, but sounds at the very least it's bad practice.
  • edited July 2017
    I could be wrong but I thought all electrical work, however trivial, now had to be certificated. That is, signed off by a qualified electrician.
    I'm no expert but I'd also say that the outside works should have not just a double o/s socket but one with a RCD built in. And the cabling should be properly marked and under a protective conduit or something.

Edited to add this stuff on Part P requirements is quite well put together. electrical.theiet.org/building-regulations/part-p/faqs.cfm

Oh my fucking Christ :neutral:
    Wasn't quite the look I was after, buy still at least you can hardly see the filler!
  • I'm no electrician but those pics screams of "dodgy builder" to me. My late father-in-law was an electrician and retired when the new regs came in as he said he would have had to re-train just to do even the minor jobs, so think any work involving moving sockets etc would need a certified electrician, but I bow down to those itk..........but the plasterwork is absolutely shocking.
  • Could be well worth your while getting in a separate electrician company to come and do an electrical installation condition report, you'll know exactly what state your install is in (going by the pictures, not a very good one), you'll also have a certified signed off copy of what the fuckers have done thats against regs etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Blimey, I wondered what Stevie Wonder was up to these days!

You would have thought he would at least use a bit of duct tape.

Oh my fucking Christ :neutral:
    That about sums it up, the outside power back into a plug in your living room is wrong on just about every level possible!!

Were they the "Electricians" words as he left? FFS
  • Truly shocking.
    A little bit of knowledge or lack of it you could end up with a disaster.

The bloke who done that should stick to his day job and not someone else's.

hopefully this works...

• T.C.E said:

hopefully this works...

Were they the "Electricians" words as he left? FFS
    Looks fine from my house
  • Think you already know the answer to your question Peakie, the 'builder' and his so called sub contractor are nothing more than con artists who are putting you and you families lives at risk by carrying out illegal electrical installations.

A good guide for providing power to a water feature is https://www.davesdiytips.com/electrical-supply-for-a-garden-pond-or-water-feature/

• Addickted said:

Think you already know the answer to your question Peakie, the 'builder' and his so called sub contractor are nothing more than con artists who are putting you and you families lives at risk by carrying out illegal electrical installations.

A good guide for providing power to a water feature is https://www.davesdiytips.com/electrical-supply-for-a-garden-pond-or-water-feature/

Read the first couple paragraphs, they called SWA 'small wired armoured' and I exited it lol
  • I cut the bloke some slack - steel/small - advice is correct as to installation though.

My god. Even I'm a cowboy spark and I've done a much better job of adding new sockets in one of our bedrooms.

I think nowadays you need it all Part P certificated under building regs/control. So you should receive that.

Both ways sound a bodge job, good luck, so many con men out there.

Out of interest, how did you end up choosing these for the job? Through recommendations or price?
  • Sponsored links:

My god. Even I'm a cowboy spark and I've done a much better job of adding new sockets in one of our bedrooms.

I think nowadays you need it all Part P certificated under building regs/control. So you should receive that.

Both ways sound a bodge job, good luck, so many con men out there.

Out of interest, how did you end up choosing these for the job? Through recommendations or price?
    Also, how did you end up giving them any money? Did you pay before they did the work? I can't imagine for a minute you'd have paid after that 'work' was done.
  • I love that the adverts I have on my viewing of this are:
    A local electrician
    Rated people for recommended electricians
    Comfy slippers
  • TeslaGirl said:

I love that the adverts I have on my viewing of this are:
    A local electrician
    Rated people for recommended electricians
    Comfy slippers

I expect you'd find the spec for the slippers incl. thick rubber soles to protect you from electric shocks......