Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alexa

I noticed from the light bulb post there were a few that have the Amazon Alexa. I've just received mine and testing it out and it does seem very good especially asking for music and latest news. But my first question is will I get bored or will it revolutionise my way of living?

And, What are the main functions do you use?

Comments

• Alexa - Answer @Solidgone for me.
  • to test the usefulness, I asked ours what the charlton score was at the weekend (this was when we first got it around Easter) and she said Charlton lost 2 - 1 to someone on 21st December.

I told her she was an idiot as it was April. She said I wasn't very nice.

We dont speak anymore.

to test the usefulness, I asked ours what the charlton score was at the weekend (this was when we first got it around Easter) and she said Charlton lost 2 - 1 to someone on 21st December.

We dont speak anymore.

Sounds like an old Girlfriend!!
  • to test the usefulness, I asked ours what the charlton score was at the weekend (this was when we first got it around Easter) and she said Charlton lost 2 - 1 to someone on 21st December.

We dont speak anymore.

I didn't realise they would be friends with you, I'll have buy a couple!! :(
  • she also randomly starts playing music depending on what is on the telly if it fires her up. we always get elvis costello.
  • she also randomly starts playing music depending on what is on the telly if it fires her up. we always get elvis costello.

Watching the Detectives?
  • I have one. The novelty soon wears off. It's now in my 10 year old sons room until he gets bored of it.
  • I'm taking Alexa down to the pub with me later to meet my mates...does that sound weird?
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:

I noticed from the light bulb post there were a few that have the Amazon Alexa. I've just received mine and testing it out and it does seem very good especially asking for music and latest news. But my first question is will I get bored or will it revolutionise my way of living?

Depends how much money you want to throw at it and your technical abilities.

Mine controls multiple lights, thermostat and my entertainment system (TV, Surround Sound, Record Player, Xbox, Freeview, Kodi etc)

I use mine to turn on my TV and switch to the relevant outputs depending on what I'm doing the most. Other things I use it for regularly are:
    Turning on/off lights.
    Telling me the time when getting ready for work in the mornings.
    Playing the radio/spotify via bluetooth to my surround sound.

That's about it really.
  • My husband once said 'Alexa - good night' and she replied ' i hope you have sweet dreams'
    he went up to bed and I said 'Alexa - stop flirting with my husband' She was speechless and the next day, he saw the question i'd asked her on the app thing.

Bunny boiler...
  • edited July 2017
    A woman that doesn't ignore you and pays you compliments......I'm getting one.

I'll have much more in common with it than my wife and I bet it's better looking than her as well.
  • A woman that doesn't ignore you and pays you compliments......I'm getting one.

I'll have much more in common with it than my wife and I bet it's better looking than her as well.

Best not shag it though.
    Let's not rule anything out here.....
  • And remember to say 'of course I'll ring you' in the morning.
  • Solidgone said:

Mine controls multiple lights, thermostat and my entertainment system (TV, Surround Sound, Record Player, Xbox, Freeview, Kodi etc)

I use mine to turn on my TV and switch to the relevant outputs depending on what I'm doing the most. Other things I use it for regularly are:
    Turning on/off lights.

That's about it really.
    It's when you get into all the smart home accessories the Alexa will come into it's/her own. As SWE said, it depends on how far you want to go.

I do think that the home of the future will have this capability built in, maybe not in my lifetime, but maybe in the next 50 years or so. Everyone can all do their Jean Luc Picard impressions as they approach their living quarters and say "Computer, I'd like you to make a coffee turn up the heating to 20 degrees. MAKE IT SO"

:)
  • Solidgone said:

Turning on/off lights.

That's about it really.

• Alexa was last seen talking to Siri. I expect to see a scattering of dots in 9 months time.
  • I use it for the times of the next buses.
    Times of trains.
    Factual information
    A calculator.
    Shopping lists.
    The wireless.
    Playing music.
    A timer when cooking.
    Weather anywhere in the world.
    Controlling lights in three rooms.
    ...intend to find a way to hook up with my Sony smart TV next time I get my nephew over.
    Alarms.

Probably more I can't remember, will also do more in the future.
    It also helps Mrs Plums pronounciation.

I find it a good gadget for the price.

The annoying thing is when somebody says Alexa on the telly and wakes it up.
  • Sponsored links:

• i have no real iea how this thing works etc and after rowing with the bird on TomTom to Devon and back its not for me ! i was right TomTom was wrong !!!

• My husband once said 'Alexa - good night' and she replied ' i hope you have sweet dreams'
    he went up to bed and I said 'Alexa - stop flirting with my husband' She was speechless and the next day, he saw the question i'd asked her on the app thing.

Fuck the niceties throw her out of the house if she's gonna act like that!