Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky lose USPGA

Apparently the PGA of America are not renewing the US coverage of golf on Sky. As such at present the USPGA championships will not currently be shown on U.K. TV.

Comments

• edited July 2017
    Whoops. Aren't they just about to launch the Sky Golf channel too?
  • From Golf.com

Bad news for golf fans in the United Kingdom and Ireland: Sky Sports has lost the rights to broadcast the 2017 PGA Championship, meaning that there won't be live television coverage of the event this year for British and Irish spectators. The Guardian reports that Sky Sports' 10-year deal with the PGA of America has expired and will not be renewed.

"We had a good partnership with Sky but the 2017 US PGA Championship will not be on Sky. It was a multi-year deal that was up. Ultimately one of the key things for us is scale of distribution and obviously with all the new platforms that consumers are engaging with, we want to make sure we reach all of them," Jeff Price, chief commercial officer for the PGA of America, said.

Price hinted that the organization was working on a new plan for coverage but didn't say whether it would include live broadcast in the U.K. through some other medium. "Broad distribution, multi-platform distribution is the key objective for us. I'm not in a position yet to share all the details but we want the ability to engage golf fans of all ages across all platforms," he said.

In the U.S., fans can watch the action at Quail Hollow on TNT and CBS. There will also be some livestreaming on PGAChampionship.com, but it's not clear whether that will include full coverage or if it will be available abroad.
  • I suspect that the PGA wanted more money and Sky couldn't justify another ten year deal with subscriber numbers and subscription rates falling.
  • Oh this is delicious.
  • "Ultimately one of the key things for us is scale of distribution and obviously with all the new platforms that consumers are engaging with, we want to make sure we reach all of them.”

That's as damning an indictment they could possibly have delivered.
  • Sounds like they are looking to launch their own online streaming network, or are looking to hook up with one of the online behemoths like Amazon or Netflix. Will only be a matter of time before these companies will buy the rights to major sporting events
  • Yes Sam, I'm hoping this is the start of something new. It might very well be a test run...
  • JiMMy 85 said:

"Ultimately one of the key things for us is scale of distribution and obviously with all the new platforms that consumers are engaging with, we want to make sure we reach all of them.”

What !!! how can they reach "all of them" if they aren't showing it on mainstream TV !!! Not all of us watch TV on a little 8 inch tablet or phone - some of us like our 43 inch HD tv !!! w***kers

Funny though as this year will probably be the first in years that I will be missing the first 3 days. I booked another week in Devon so Golfie Jnr could see us at Exeter & Plymouth and forget the USPGA started on the Thursday. Only realised yesterday & was gutted thinking that I would only catch the last day - so now quite happy.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

"Ultimately one of the key things for us is scale of distribution and obviously with all the new platforms that consumers are engaging with, we want to make sure we reach all of them.”

What !!! how can they reach "all of them" if they aren't showing it on mainstream TV !!! Not all of us watch TV on a little 8 inch tablet or phone - some of us like our 43 inch HD tv !!! w***kers

Funny though as this year will probably be the first in years that I will be missing the first 3 days. I booked another week in Devon so Golfie Jnr could see us at Exeter & Plymouth and forget the USPGA started on the Thursday. Only realised yesterday & was gutted thinking that I would only catch the last day - so now quite happy.
    Many people have a smart TV or Chromecast/fire stick style device, or a ps4/xbone to play it through the TV.
  • That sucks! :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Very embarrassing for Sky and not good news for Golf followers like myself. I'd like to think that someone else will pick it up but other than some sort of streaming service the best we can probably hope for now is some sort of highlights package. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come regarding sports rights but I fear it may be.