Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thoughts from first pre season friendlies

I guess a fair few of us watched the YouTube streams over the last couple of nights. With the caveat that its still very early in the season im interested to hear what others thought - consider performance, and the system we are playing....do you feel confident we have the right players for how KR wants to play. One thing is certain we need a first choice keeper ASAP.

Aribo - Potential to be a great player
Barnes - Very good so far - versatile
Ceballos - Positive contribution, looks good on the ball although possibly too lightweight in the middle and not dynamic enough for the wing
Clarke - Reminiscent of Bradley Allen...don't want to be negative but am not certain he is number 10 ability, or a 15 goal a year striker

We really need a forward with decent movement and natural goal scoring prowess....

Verdict -

Definitely need 3-4 first team players who improve the team.

Comments

• Embarrasing to lose to teams of the standard we played, especially the UCD students but it's a reality check for those saying Phillips is ready to be no. 1 and there were some positives as you've mentioned. Ceballos has played himself into first team contention and I'd add these to your list...

Fosu - looked v.promising in the first game
    KAG - doesn't look like he can cross when out wide but looked the best I have seen him in other areas of the pitch (and is definitely developing well).
  • What were the scores?
  • folder said:

I guess a fair few of us watched the YouTube streams over the last couple of nights. With the caveat that its still very early in the season im interested to hear what others thought - consider performance, and the system we are playing....do you feel confident we have the right players for how KR wants to play. One thing is certain we need a first choice keeper ASAP.

Aribo - Potential to be a great player
    Barnes - Very good so far - versatile
    Ceballos - Positive contribution, looks good on the ball although possibly too lightweight in the middle and not dynamic enough for the wing
    Clarke - Reminiscent of Bradley Allen...don't want to be negative but am not certain he is number 10 ability, or a 15 goal a year striker

We really need a forward with decent movement and natural goal scoring prowess....

Verdict -

Definitely need 3-4 first team players who improve the team.

11 new players going by tonite shite showing! Yes I know it's only a friendly but seriously Robinson can't be happy with those 3 games!
  • Valley11 said:

It's not embarrassing it's pre season. Get a grip.

It is both
  • 3 games in 3 days was not smart and just opens players up to potential injury. if you just view it a purely an exercise in getting fit then maybe it was worth while.

Did he ever put out his first team? I would say not, so again not worth judging the team at this stage.

Psychologically we looked fragile last year and the results I cant imagine will have helped that, I think the fans optimism with Holmes signing and no-one leaving may well evaporate quickly if performances continue in the same vain.
  • worried where any goals are going to come from

set piece headers we look threatening but a lot of our forwards cant seem to shoot with any pace or placement
  • One of the positives was seeing Tex play at RB. He looked okay and offers a different alternative to current back up full backs.
  • I think on paper the three games in three days sounded good but in reality it doesnt seem as though it was... Of course I'm not going to make a rushed opinion on that fact but it'll be interesting to see how the squad perform and look against Welling and Dover

Tarieq Fosu: Shame he got a knock against Crumlin as would have been good to see what he could have done against the fitter opposition of Limerick and UCD... Difficult to make a proper assessment against a Welling type team.

Billy Clarke: I've struggled to notice him at points but his finishing hasn't been great

Mark Marshall: The jury is still out for me at the moment, probably doesnt help the fact he's the anti-Fosu in the fact that he didnt play against Crumlin and only against the fitter opposition.

Cristian Ceballos: He's been everywhere and could be an excellent option in the No.10 role this season, I cant imagine him staying out wide as he almost seems best just being allowed to drift into any empty space across the whole pitch.

Of the current players no one has overly impressed me, Tony Watt had a better game against UCD last night (over his performance against Limerick) whilst Josh Magennis has made a good start especially with the lack of training.
  • Just grateful we will not be competing in the Irish leagues this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not really bothered by the results to be honest. The players just need game time and that's what they got, am far more worried if the same happens in the friendlies with Ipswich and Norwich where we should be ready to go.

Before they went to Ireland it was clear we needed 3 or 4 first team players, that hasn't changed.

Hopefully just means the deals are pushed through quicker.....
  • You are right, but we do need a bit of tuning in relation to the squad.
  • You are right, but we do need a bit of tuning in relation to the squad.

No doubt about that.
  • edited July 2017
    Problem is, it is the same every year. What is going to be different this year? Hopefully something, preferebaly a fair bit!
  • I reckon give it the Welling game and then we can start writing off the new signings and youngsters as applicable.

• ucd and limerick both play in the top Irish football division, although losing by the scoreline we did last night is a tad embarrassing, unsure i would say what level they are at but would say lower conference national, when you put it like that then its a slip up, personally i don't give a shit about freindlies would hope we improve in the next few, as if they were for fitness then they have served there purpose, the lee bowyer gimick last night was stupid and embarrassing, might of been for a bit of fun for the fans, but you sell the club and fuck off back to belgium and that would have me grinning from ear to ear.
  • ucd and limerick both play in the top Irish football division, although losing by the scoreline we did last night is a tad embarrassing, unsure i would say what level they are at but would say lower conference national, when you put it like that then its a slip up, personally i don't give a shit about freindlies would hope we improve in the next few, as if they were for fitness then they have served there purpose, the lee bowyer gimick last night was stupid and embarrassing, might of been for a bit of fun for the fans, but you sell the club and fuck off back to belgium and that would have me grinning from ear to ear.

UCD are in the Irish FIrst Division... Yet are second in the League trailing by just a point and have only lost 2-games all season.
  • Watched first half of the 1st game, most of the 2nd game and here and there last night as was playing pool and half watching.
    +Ceballos, Barnes, RCC , Aribo(partly not last night)

We have looked good passing the ball but lacking in the final third, feels like we are trying to walk the ball in the net so hopefully that isn't too much of a sign for the season.

I think we need to test out other formations to so we don't become predictable and would like Ajose to have a fair chance in pre-seasons to play with 2 up top as he won't suit the current system.

All in all, its pre-season no injuries and once the match fitness is there it will be totally different game. I like we will be passing and pressing, however i am worried we would be exposed to the counter and still worry about scoring goals. Magdennis might get 15 goals a year, but feel we need a proper back up.

Squad is getting there and probably alot better than anticipated in this regime, at present i predict we could be around the play offs, not based on pre-season but the squad in general.
  • Sponsored links:

UCD are in the Irish FIrst Division... Yet are second in the League trailing by just a point and have only lost 2-games all season.
    apologies got confused with st pats, limerick are and still playing in season, so quite impressive from them.
  • A long season awaits.
  • It's OK talking about players achieving fitness and building team spirit .. BUT .. we had our most 'experienced' goalkeeper making elementary mistakes and even more worryingly, as I can't see that Phillips will be our regular goalkeeper this season, our forwards were almost incapable of scoring or even getting many shots on target against the better teams in the last two games ..
    IF Robinson insists on playing one up front with two wide men and a 'number 10', I can't see the current personnel coming close to scoring the number of goals required to maintain a promotion effort, even though Marshall and Holmes will create a lot of chances (we hope)..
    BUT, It is still early days and we will have to wait and see what happens during the much more difficult friendlies we have lined up against the East Anglians when I hope a coherent pattern of play and consistent selection will become clearer
  • edited July 2017
    3 games in 3 days, 2-3 players still to leave and 2-3 players still to arrive it's hard to forecast any prediction.

That said, I thought after the Bromley pre-season game (last season) we looked well off being promotion contenders and yesterday felt the same. Hoping to be proved wrong.
  • I thought we played some neat passing football and looked the better team until it came to putting the ball in the net or stopping it going in at the other end lol.

It's obvious that we need a first choice goalie and a left back urgently.

Right back could be covered by Tex/Konsa/Barnes, if they are still at the club.

We still need an attacking goalscoring centre mid/no 10.

I'm a little concerned that the players won't adapt to the system KR wants to play, because at the moment we seem too wide open on the break.

The games reminded me of our League 1 games at Selhurst Park. We used to have all the play and get done on the break time after time.

I think we should challenge the top 6, but I'd like us to be challenging for the automatics.

• Fascinating that the attendance for all 3 fixtures in Ireland was 14,999 - at least according to the fixtures page on CAFC's sparkling new website. Coincidence huh? And quite the money spinner for the hosts :wink:
  • Hope the idea of players playing with fatigue is a good in their overall preparation for the season ahead. Seems they were worked hard and the team spirit looks good from the bits I have seen. Results although disappointing really don't matter until the 5th August
  • It's OK talking about players achieving fitness and building team spirit .. BUT .. we had our most 'experienced' goalkeeper making elementary mistakes and even more worryingly, as I can't see that Phillips will be our regular goalkeeper this season, our forwards were almost incapable of scoring or even getting many shots on target against the better teams in the last two games ..
    IF Robinson insists on playing one up front with two wide men and a 'number 10', I can't see the current personnel coming close to scoring the number of goals required to maintain a promotion effort, even though Marshall and Holmes will create a lot of chances (we hope)..
    BUT, It is still early days and we will have to wait and see what happens during the much more difficult friendlies we have lined up against the East Anglians when I hope a coherent pattern of play and consistent selection will become clearer

3 games in 3 days was not smart and just opens players up to potential injury. if you just view it a purely an exercise in getting fit then maybe it was worth while.

Did he ever put out his first team? I would say not, so again not worth judging the team at this stage.

Psychologically we looked fragile last year and the results I cant imagine will have helped that, I think the fans optimism with Holmes signing and no-one leaving may well evaporate quickly if performances continue in the same vain.

Are you better qualified then than Robinson, Bowyer and Jackson plus the rest of the backroom staff ?. Lets at least save judgment until after a few league games