Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2024 and 2028 Olympics

The Olympic Committee have decided that these games will be in Paris and Los Angeles, with the order still to be decided. Looks like all other host cities pulled out due to cost.

It was great to be in London for the 2012 games and would love to be living in another city during the Olympics. Huge strain on the city/country though, with questionable long term benefits. Athens and Rio still look to be counting the costs of their games.

Anyone reckon they might get to these games or anyone been to any other Olympics other the years?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/11/ioc-olympic-games-paris-los-angeles-2024-2028?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Comments

• As 2016 was in "the Americas" I assume that Paris would be first? I recall that (like London) the available land for the Olympic Park and Village won't be around for ever

Paris would be tempting, accommodation at least is plentiful there or within commuting distance
  • Olympics should only go to cities that can afford to host it, so Rio should never have had it IMO.

Yes this would restrict it to being hosted in the so called first world, but long term it seems to screw up developing countries
  • Went to Sydney, Athens and Beijing. All great experiences in their own way but Sydney was definitely the best for the location and sports-loving hosts.
  • I would have the World Cup every 4 years in the UK if I could, the Olympics I would have once in my lifetime and glad it came around when it did.
  • Gutted that Madrid lost three successive Olympic bids: would have loved it to have been here while I was living here.
  • I think it really helps if its held in a sports mad city/country, and by that I mean all sports, and not just the likes of football, basketball, tennis and athletics. London's cosmopolitan nature really helps in that respect, for the experience I went to the Wrestling, which was full of passionate Iranians and other countries from around there, which really added to the atmosphere.
  • Does anyone care where it is anymore? The tv turns everywhere the same.
  • FIFA could learn a lot from the IOC about choosing hosts.
  • edited July 2017
    C_A_F_C said:

FIFA could learn a lot from the IOC about choosing hosts.

Where do FIFA get their perks and free holidays to "inspect" the Candidates from though?
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it should take place in Athens every time, in modern, state of the art stadiums and venues. The cost of building infrastructure and the continuing failure to leave a legacy should make this essential in the future.

In addition, the IOC should fund all teams' transport costs.
  • Ours was amazing, the atmosphere in and around the events unbelievable. A Paris games will definitely see me there. Los Angeles would be tempting too.

Currently looking forward to the World Athletics at the start of August.
  • pickwick said:

Ours was amazing, the atmosphere in and around the events unbelievable. A Paris games will definitely see me there. Los Angeles would be tempting too.

No Adam Gemili in the 200m which is sad. I'll be there for the 200m final evening
  • We went to every day's Track & Field in LA '84 & thoroughly enjoyed the experience with our kids then aged 6 & 8.

Followed this with the European Champs in Stuttgart in '86 & then the Worlds in Rome the following year.

Had tickets for the 2012 Opening Ceremony & one evening of the Para Olympics in London but TBH it would take something very special for me to beat being in Southern California for 3 weeks & in the Coliseum to see Coe, Cram, Ovett, Daley, Spedding & the GB team as a whole.

We have tickets for London, Friday 4th August ( 10,000 men's final & 100m heats) and again for Weds 9th (200 men's semis & 5,000 heats) so should see Usain & Mo for the final time, all things being equal.

I'd totally recommend attending a major Games abroad although I'm sure that the combined cost of tickets, travel & accommodation would mean some serious saving beforehand. We booked everything all 3 years that we travelled with a company called Centresport & reaped the benefit of being with the same group of athletics fans each time, resulting in great camaraderie that lasted beyond the 80's.

Would love to go back to LA although Paris would be ideal but sadly, age will probably make both/either of these unlikely.
  • edited July 2017
    Mayor Garcetti has promised to turn a profit on the Olympics, and use them as a legacy to improve youth access to sport in the city (in much the way London promised).

Light rail is now a thing in Los Angeles. It's not perfect, but it's there (admittedly haven't used it yet as haven't really been back and needed to since it was built).

I'm always torn on whether Olympics are good for a city. The IOC is better than FIFA, but that's not saying much. LA is SO spread out that logistics could be a pain. But it's a major, modern, urban city, and it could be a great reason to improve infrastructure and public transport. LA has all the venues, even if, say, the Rose Bowl and the LA Colosseum, both of which are not particularly nice venues, are about an hour+ apart by car (even at the best of times).
  • pickwick said:

Ours was amazing, the atmosphere in and around the events unbelievable. A Paris games will definitely see me there. Los Angeles would be tempting too.

I was in Ireland during the 2012 games. It looked like every other recent games. Unless you're actually at the events or in the host city they all look and feel the same.
  • edited July 2017
    Some interesting documentaries on here at the moment to mark the 25th anniversary of the 92 Olympics in Spain, seen here as the event that really put modern Spain back on the world map: the culmination of the transition back to democracy after the end of the dictatorship of the 70s.

Barcelona seems like an example of a positive 'legacy' for both economic impact on the city (modern tourism to Barcelona really started then) and lasting facilities/infrastructure that changed the face of the city. Although Espanyol no longer play in the Olympics Stadium the opening up of the port area and modernisation of general city accessibility including the metro makes it be seen here in overall very positive terms.

Just wondering what people think the lasting impact of the London Olympics has been. Obviously West Ham ended up with the stadium but what about the other facilities? And I remember the much talked about 'legacy' of how the Olympics would inspire younger generations - has this happened?

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this.
  • edited July 2017

Some interesting documentaries on here at the moment to mark the 25th anniversary of the 92 Olympics in Spain, seen here as the event that really put modern Spain back on the world map: the culmination of the transition back to democracy after the end of the dictatorship of the 70s.

Barcelona seems like an example of a positive 'legacy' for both economic impact on the city (modern tourism to Barcelona really started then) and lasting facilities/infrastructure that changed the face of the city. Although Espanyol no longer play in the Olympics Stadium the opening up of the port area and modernisation of general city accessibility including the metro makes it be seen here in overall very positive terms.

Just wondering what people think the lasting impact of the London Olympics has been. Obviously West Ham ended up with the stadium but what about the other facilities? And I remember the much talked about 'legacy' of how the Olympics would inspire younger generations - has this happened?

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

Guess two of the biggest legacies are firstly the Anniversary Games that happens each year... Might be speaking slightly out of turn in terms of this event but crowds do seem to have dwindled slightly over the years.

The real big benefit from the games appears to be the Prudential Ride London / London-Surrey Classic which happens this Sunday, following on from the Cycling Road Race route, it appears as though this has turned into a yearly cycling version of the London Marathon with your everyday cyclist able to ride the route from that day whilst the other half of it (the London-Surrey Classic) is turning into a proper UCI event with a good few Pro Riders involved each year (i.e. Michael Matthews | Luke Rowe | Ben Swift are all taking part who have just completed the Tour de France)... Noticed the other day though that Surrey Council have only agreed to this up until next year at the moment so be interesting to see what happens in 2019.

All other Sports though appear to have disappeared... i.e. Nothing is done for Swimming etc. other than the pool being made for public use which I guess is a good thing because it means the Stadiums built arent going to waste.
  • Chizz said:

I think it should take place in Athens every time, in modern, state of the art stadiums and venues. The cost of building infrastructure and the continuing failure to leave a legacy should make this essential in the future.

In addition, the IOC should fund all teams' transport costs.

I do quite like this idea. It would help the Greek economy too of course.

Snags? Well it's inevitable that the Greek air traffic controllers would go on strike. And because of the normal summer heat, you wouldn't get the best performances from the athletes.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wasn't really impressed with seeing the Athletics during the London Olympics. I've watched it at Crystal Palace for many years and keenly followed it on TV but hearing the stadium announcer saying "Pole jumping" and Pole vaulting just finished it for me.

Still in saying that should 2024 go to Paris then I would be interested in going but not to see Pole Jumping:)

I think Atalanta showed how a legacy shouldn't be done with abandoned tennis facilities and other areas like hockey stadium being forgotten about. Also I believe one area changed into a car park.
  • It's hard to separate out Olympic benefits with what's been happening already, but our incredible medal record in the last 3 Olympic games is clearly built around London 2012

The facilities (other than the main stadium itself) were well thought out, with few white elephants left behind.

The Olympics can be a great advert for a country, which wants to show the world it's "made it". Seoul and Beijing were both really impressive showcases for their cities and countries, and how far they'd come. This doesn't really apply to the likes of London (or Paris)
  • I agree with an earlier post. Just hold it in Athens and stop leaching of hardworking taxpayers for billions of pounds for a 2 week collection of shite sports.

• I agree with an earlier post. Just hold it in Athens and stop leaching of hardworking taxpayers for billions of pounds for a 2 week collection of shite sports.

Great contribution - Katie Hopkins parody?
  • edited July 2017
    sam3110 said:

Olympics should only go to cities that can afford to host it, so Rio should never have had it IMO.

Yes this would restrict it to being hosted in the so called first world, but long term it seems to screw up developing countries

Not sure about the extent of your knowledge about Rio or Brazil, but as I visit at least once a year, I think it's a bit harsh to say that they should never have had it. It was awarded to them at a time when Brazil was one of the fastest growing economies in the world, and crime reduced hugely in the years before the Games within Rio. The train line that finally got built due to the Olympics (after years of stalling by the elite) is providing great economic opportunities to poorer citizens (they can get to work in richer parts of the city), and the port area which was redeveloped as a result of the Olympics has created a safe area in downtown (which was previously no-go). Rio experienced a real boom period from 2012 til after the Olympics driven by the fact that the Olympics and World Cup were there which caused both private and public investment.

That boom has now ended but I would suggest that that was due to the way they did it rather than doing it. Their plans for the unsuccessful 2004 bid would have been far more sustainable, and of course being Brazil, corruption took hold of their plans and they didn't put in places structures to avoid that.

It may be a glass half full view, but for me and the bulk of my mates there, the boom period caused by hosting it justify the exercise. Sadly like all boom periods, it hasn't lasted and Rio is back to being the Rio it was before the 'Global event boost', but with some improved infrastructure, great memories and extra wealth for many people as a result of the extra construction and tourism related work which bumped up salaries. The federal and state economies are screwed, but they always were and that's a structural problem with Brazil.

More broadly if you love sport, you must do an away Olympics once in your life, it's like a music festival focused on sports, and you make a real camaraderie amongst the Brits you see. Both LA and Paris will be awesome

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/40783315

It looks certain to be Paris in 2024 and LA in 2028 now.

The IOC were lucky in that their only candidates were strong ones
  • What a crying shame about James Cracknell.
  • edited September 2023
    Private schoolboy in being a Tory shock?

Think he's been trying to stand for them for a few years.  Might be the worst time too given the polls, Colchester isn't the safest seat.
  • edited September 2023
    Best leave it there too, given it's politics!
  • I blame the bike crash