Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Preview and Updates - Limerick FC v Charlton Athletic -PSF - 11 July 2017|KO 7.45

"There once was a team called Athletic.."

NO, STOP, MUST. RESIST. URGE. TO. USE. BAD. POETRY. JOKES.

After the 5 - 0 crushing of third tier Crumlin Utd last night a phone call was made to the football league asking if promotion could now be granted automatically. The blazers, in their typical anti-Charlton manner, insisted that we still had to play 46 games against the other league 1 sides and the friendies don't actually count.

Well, as my late father always said, "if you don't ask, you don't get" and the league did have a point. There is a long way to go yet regardless of the pleasing result.

Tonight's game should be a step up for the travelling Addicks. Limerick are a top flight side and will be fully match fit as they are three quarters of the way through their domestic season. But again the games won't be about the result but fitness and match sharpness. It will also give the gaffer the chance to shift his players around into different positions and combinations but always within the mandatory 4231 formation.

There were positive reviews from the Crumlin game for Cebellos, Sarr and new boy Fosu while Watt's goals brought hope from some that the mercurial Scot will finally come good. Josh Magennis reminded us that he is our first choice striker for a reason while KAG seems to be making a case for being part of the starting 18 at least.

The biggest questions will be whether @sadamson84 can get the VCR working and which ex-player will be co-commentating with the legend @Ollywozere

Addicks who are out in Ireland - remember to keep those team sheets, programmes, tickets, etc for the museum.

Comments

• "There once was a team called Athletic.."

After the 5 - 0 crushing of third tier Crumlin Utd last night a phone call was made to the football league asking if promotion could now be granted automatically. The blazers, in their typical anti-Charlton manner, insisted that we still had to play 46 games against the other league 1 sides and the friendies don't actually count.

Well, as my late father always said, "if you don't ask, you don't get" and the league did have a point. There is a long way to go yet regardless of the pleasing result.

Tonight's game should be a step up for the travelling Addicks. Limerick are a top flight side and will be fully match fit as they are three quarters of the way through their domestic season. But again the games won't be about the result but fitness and match sharpness. It will also give the gaffer the chance to shift his players around into different positions and combinations but always within the mandatory 4231 formation.

There were positive reviews from the Crumlin game for Cebellos, Sarr and new boy Fosu while Watt's goals brought hope from some that the mercurial Scot will finally come good. Josh Magennis reminded us that he is our first choice striker for a reason while KAG seems to be making a case for being part of the starting 18 at least.

The biggest questions will be whether @sadamson84 can get the VCR working and which ex-player will be co-commentating with the legend @Ollywozere

Addicks who are out in Ireland - remember to keep those team sheets, programmes, tickets, etc for the museum.

KO 17.45

That's an early kick off Henners. Typo?
  • Definately a typo : - (

Thanks
  • Limerick will be a much tougher ask than last nights opponents, all I hope is that the new Valley Pass will be working tonight so we don't miss the first 15 minutes!
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Limerick are in season and a professional/semi professional team, while Crumlin are effectively a Sunday League side whose season would have ended in May. Depending on the side they put out (league fixture at the weekend) they will give Charlton a much tougher game.

For those going/watching Cheedozie Ogbene is the one to look out for. Hes a 19 year old winger/forward who started his career with my team Cork City but had a bit of a falling out and has moved to Limerick. He has really impressed both this season and last. Still very raw but there is talent there.

I don't think I will make it unfortunately as I have way too much work on my plate and Limerick is a little tricky to get to without a car.
  • "There once was a team called Athletic.."

Starting 18? You only get 11 starters! Though I suspect you meant part of the 18 man squad.
  • If you look at their web site and forum and their Twitter feed you wouldn't know the game was going on.

has anyone told them?
  • If you look at their web site and forum and their Twitter feed you wouldn't know the game was going on.

has anyone told them?

http://www.limerickfc.ie/fixtures-and-results/fixtures-results-2017
  • Sponsored links:

• el-pietro said:

Cheedozie Ogbene

you're kidding right? that is not a real name

• edited July 2017
    jams said:

el-pietro said:

Cheedozie Ogbene

Strange thing to say

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/chiedozie-ogbene/profil/spieler/392591
  • This being streamed?
  • From the OS:

Spot the error

Tickets will be available to purchase on the night at Markets field.

Adults: 10 euros

Concessions and Under 12s: 5 euros

Under 14s: FREE
    Unquote

Under 13's not allowed to go
  • edited July 2017
    jams said:

el-pietro said:

Cheedozie Ogbene

Definitely real. Hes from Cork. Small typo I grant you but hes real.
  • seth plum said:

In Limerick right now.

At my brothers he has got me corporate hospitality tickets for this evening (!) with his professional footballing granddaughter my great niece.+This is a winning goal scored by my great niece in a match in America (she is a pro in Sweden at the moment).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaQpehEFLPc

Her name is Alli Murphy and she's better than Beckham.

To prove its no fluke. She does it again. Look at this clip at 3:30 to see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68BAG3Rk88E

I hope that's not the keeper that KR is after!
  • @sethplum

Very impressive from your great niece. I think she's worked out that goalkeepers in women's football are pretty useless and any shot on target has half a chance. Impressive nonetheless.
  • seth plum said:

In Limerick right now.

At my brothers he has got me corporate hospitality tickets for this evening (!) with his professional footballing granddaughter my great niece.+This is a winning goal scored by my great niece in a match in America (she is a pro in Sweden at the moment).

To prove its no fluke. She does it again. Look at this clip at 3:30 to see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68BAG3Rk88E

It's like another sport completely reading this...

At the conclusion of her time at Texas Tech, Murphy ranked third all-time in assists for the school with 25. She scored 13 goals during her college career, including the game winning goal in the second round of the 2014 NCAA Championship to send the Red Raiders to their first ever Sweet 16 appearance.

The Spirit drafted Alli Murphy with the 20th overall pick in the 2016 NWSL College Draf

• Sponsored links:

• Kashi, Solly and Fosu don't appear to have travelled. Minor knocks, nothing major.
  • Swisdom said:

Kashi, Solly and Fosu don't appear to have travelled. Minor knocks, nothing major.

Sold already according to twitter (I may have made that up)

• Swisdom said:

Kashi, Solly and Fosu don't appear to have travelled. Minor knocks, nothing major.

Did anyone else notice Solly running sort of crooked for the first 30 mins last night? I thought he was limping or trying to protect himself.
  • edited July 2017
    Limerick in February at Markets Field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFTjaiponpg++

And Limerick last Month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk4Sk_i8WY0

• I have a Samsung pad and an Ipad, but cannot get onto the new Charlton website so cannot sign up. Is this going to be shown on Utube as well?
    Thanks.
  • Redrobo said:

I have a Samsung pad and an Ipad, but cannot get onto the new Charlton website so cannot sign up. Is this going to be shown on Utube as well?
    Thanks.

Are you using Chrome or another browser? Chrome Definitely works on my iPad Mini.

• Who's shinpads can we spot here?

I see a Portuguese set, Magennis' baby on another set, a Standard Liege set, and it looks like Cristiano Ronaldo is one of our trialists
  • Nice towels.
  • edited July 2017
    seth plum said:

In Limerick right now.

Looks quality. Hope she gets a chance to play in the NWSL one day. Bob Dowie's daughter plays for Boston and she's decent.

EDIT: Just saw Dazzler's comment, being drafted 20th is no joke. She must be very, very good. Good she didn't go play for the Spirit, their owner is homophobic.