Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stephen James Woolwich? (Spam email direct from the club)

edited July 2017 in General Charlton
Why have I just got an email promoting these guys directly from noreply@cafc.co.uk ???

Surely just an odd mistake. Don't fancy staying on the mailing list if it's just gonna clutter my inbox with irrelevant spam and junk mail.

Comments

• edited July 2017
    At the bottom of the email offering me £2k part exchange for my (non-existent) car:

"About your Subscription
    You have received this email because you have subscribed to receive news and updates from Charlton Athletic Football Club. If you no longer wish to receive emails, you can unsubscribe at any time. View our Privacy Policy.
    Charlton Athletic Football Club. The Valley, Floyd Road, Charlton, SE7 8BL."
  • just got the same. fortunately any emails from the club seem to automatically get chucked into my junk inbox. good old Hotmail.
  • Almost certainly malware has got into CAFC's email address list. It won't be from the club.
  • edited July 2017
    It's bizarre as it mentions CAFC absolutely nowhere in the email other than to say "you received this mail as you subscribed to updates from CAFC" while this email clearly is not such an update.
  • Are they sponsor of some sort?
  • It is from the clubs email, think they have some sort of tie up with CAFC/Stephen James, I've had the same. Looks like they are selling their mailing list.........
  • Their privacy policy includes sending info from commercial partners
  • Rob7Lee said:

Their privacy policy includes sending info from commercial partners

I signed up many years ago, i'm not sure I signed up to this.

I certainly haven't received an update email to tell me their policy has changed.

• Well, I received an email from the club yesterday offering me TWO WEEKS free access to Valley Pass !

Note to self.

Ignore ANY emails from the club.

:wink:
  • Haven't a clue in the T&C's when I signed up as was years ago.

Not really bothered, you can opt out if you want I believe.

Never likely to buy a BMW again so wasted on me........
  • Sponsored links:

• I always, always, always make sure I tick the "no associated emails" from anyone I do business with. If I want information on anything I will look it up myself & don't need unsolicited emails from all & sundry.
  • Check your account settings via the club website.
    You might find the boxes for unsubscribing from club emails & 3rd party emails are unticked.
    When you try to tick one or other or both and save your updated preferences you'll get a duff message about "contact already exists" or smthn similar and your preferences won't be updated.
    Did you try unsubscribing via the link in the email?
    I did and it didn't work.
    I reported the account non/update issue to the club earlier and am awaiting response or resolution.
    Judging by how glacially slow the website is on pc's and how unserviceable it is on fruit-based handhelds I'd guess it's mostly down to an inadequately designed/tested/resourced website. If only as much effort had been put into building it as was put into heralding its launch. Disappointing but entirely consistent with how every aspect of the club is mismanaged.
  • edited July 2017
    I opt out every time I can, but every (rare) time you buy a ticket the bastards put you back in again. They've managed to balls up the opt-out at the footer of the email now so you're stuck as well........image
  • Looks like they've missed off the words 'F*CK OFF' at the end there @Fumbluff !

either that or 'only do so by committing to buying a top-price season ticket every season for the rest of your life'.
  • The new GDPR legislation coming into place next May will sort this out. Companies need to gain explicit permission from people on their database to send emails about specific stuff (so need separate permission to send stuff about tickets, partnerships, curry nights etc.)

If companies don't meet these guidelines the fines and penalties are severe.
  • WSS said:

The new GDPR legislation coming into place next May will sort this out. Companies need to gain explicit permission from people on their database to send emails about specific stuff (so need separate permission to send stuff about tickets, partnerships, curry nights etc.)

Have you got any info on this, I don't think that my firm are aware of this coming in and we need to be.

• BDL said:

WSS said:

The new GDPR legislation coming into place next May will sort this out. Companies need to gain explicit permission from people on their database to send emails about specific stuff (so need separate permission to send stuff about tickets, partnerships, curry nights etc.)

Have you got any info on this, I don't think that my firm are aware of this coming in and we need to be.

Here's a pretty good place to start, Dave:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/data-protection-reform/overview-of-the-gdpr/

Every company needs to get going with this pronto (should have already started really) - there are some enormous changes compared to the DPA.
  • Why have I just got an email promoting these guys directly from noreply@cafc.co.uk ???

Surely just an odd mistake. Don't fancy staying on the mailing list if it's just gonna clutter my inbox with irrelevant spam and junk mail.

If only there were a portmanteau word that could incorporate both of those... :lol:
    The only one I can think of is Jupam.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why have I just got an email promoting these guys directly from noreply@cafc.co.uk ???

If only there were a portmanteau word that could incorporate both of those... :lol:
    If you think of one then let me know...

If you think of one then let me know...
    I'm sure someone will come up with something.