Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: The Beatles v Joe Cocker

You know how it works by now.

Two versions of the same song. Which do you prefer?

The 1967 Beatles pop original sung by Ringo on Sgt Pepper or the blues cover by Joe Cocker from 1968

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkyqRP8S93Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3XHHMtrHw

Comments

• This a very good one Henry, will have to go for Cocker.
  • Dead heat for me. Love both versions.
  • Tough one, Henners.

The Beatles are The Beatles and a track from what many would say is their seminal album takes a lot of shifting. But Joe's voice and interpretation are both sublime.

Cocker for me - but only just.
  • edited July 2017
    No contest, Cocker, his version is what the Beatles should have made. And Winwood is on keys....thats enough for me.......
    Ringo starr should never ever be allowed near a microphone....in fact he should have taken a vow of silence.
  • edited July 2017
    Ooh tough choice, one where I don't have to click on the links as I know them so well

Joe Cocker, just
  • IMO - best ever cover of any Beatles song and better than the original
  • Joe Cocker for me an all
  • Joe Cocker, by a mile
  • The Beatles. By a country mile.

Cocker's version is good, but it loses on account of The Beatles' rich back story constructed around Sgt Pepper. For instance, the song is a tale told by a character called Billy Shears. Where is he in Cocker's version? When the narrator's identity - introduced before the song starts in the origin version - is ignored, the story changes. And, in my view, not for the better.

It is not true to say - as some do - that you can't ever surpass a track from Sgt Pepper with a cover. But I don't think I've heard anyone doing so. Joe Cocker has produced an enjoyable song, but it's far from being superior to The Beatles version.

Sgt Pepper was released on Friday 26 May 1967. Two days later, Jimmy Hendrix played a gig in London. During that set, he played the album - having had only 48 hours or so to learn it. I doubt he - or anyone - would have done the same had they heard Cocker's version a couple of days before a gig.

RIP Joe, John, George and Jimmy
  • Sponsored links:

• The Beatles for me, although the Cocker version is excellent and forever linked to the superb "Wonder Years"

One of the best "coming of age" programmes on TV and great soundtrack.
  • Cocker for me.

Gave @Afternoon Delight a like as I loved Wonder Years as well.
  • The Beatles for me, although the Cocker version is excellent and forever linked to the superb "Wonder Years"

One of the best "coming of age" programmes on TV and great soundtrack.
    I heartedly agree. Also have to go for the Beatles track over Jarvis Cocker anyday......
  • I love the Beatles one, and Starr's vocals actually work for a change, but for me cocker's version is best.
  • The Beatles.
    I'm not sure how much I buy into Chizz's "context" argument, but the song was written specifically for Ringo to sing.
    John and Paul always wrote one song for him on each album and in this case he sang "in character" as an "average" vocalist in a "Lonely Hearts Club" band.
    For all of Ringo's vocal limitations, his voice has soothing charm and it works within his range.
    I do get irked by the snobbery (not on here) attached to Joe Cocker's "more authentic" version.
    Don't get me wrong, I love his version and it adds a completely different dimension to the song.
    It's a close run thing, but the Beatles perfect pop confection wins for me.
  • @cfgs @Afternoon Delight @golfaddick

Can any of your remember which episode it is when Karen, the older sister, goes away to college. Really want to watch the scene when she makes up with her dad even though he won't give her his old army kit bag.
  • The Beatles.
    I'm not sure how much I buy into Chizz's "context" argument, but the song was written specifically for Ringo to sing.
    John and Paul always wrote one song for him on each album and in this case he sang "in character" as an "average" vocalist in a "Lonely Hearts Club" band.
    For all of Ringo's vocal limitations, his voice has soothing charm and it works within his range.
    I do get irked by the snobbery (not on here) attached to Joe Cocker's "more authentic" version.
    Don't get me wrong, I love his version and it adds a completely different dimension to the song.

That pretty much sums up how I feel.
    Fab Four version for me.
  • Joe Cocker, mainly due to the Wonder Years and having a better voice.
  • Joe Cocker v. Leon Russell versions of Delta Lady might be a good cover to cover Henry?
    Or maybe only for fogies :smile:

Can any of your remember which episode it is when Karen, the older sister, goes away to college. Really want to watch the scene when she makes up with her dad even though he won't give her his old army kit bag.

think you mean this one. it's called daddy's little girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5YVK43nGWU
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017

The Beatles.

I would agree that the song does fit Ringo very well. "What would you think if I sang out of tune" works so much better with Ringo singing it, as John and Paul would never in 1967 be singing out of tune!

Yes, thanks, that's it. Welling up now

Yes, thanks, that's it. Welling up now

Cocker

Harsh
  • Just don't think the Beatles should ever have let Ringo near a microphone.

Cocker by a mile.
  • Loved The Wonder Years!
  • No contest. The Beatles hit a steady, natural groove with Ringo's wistful gratitude lacking any pretence.
    Cocker's version is somewhat affected, and trying too hard to make the song his own.
    No-one has ever come near the Beatles as a band, and no-one ever will.
  • Has to be Joe Cocker for me.
  • It's one of my least favourite Beatles tracks, so Joe for me.