Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Locks

My gym is opposite a hardware store. I bought my padlock from it that I use on my gym locker. I'm sure many other gym members could've bought theirs from there as well. It's got me thinking, is the make of padlock I use the same as all the other locks in the shop, in that my lock could be opened by the keys for another lock of the same make

If not, does this mean there is some finite change on each padlock to make them utterly bespoke and individual eradicating the above issue. But, if that's the case then surely the manufacturing processes to mass produce them would be very costly because each individual lock would need to be tweaked ever so slightly

Or is it that they say for a particular brand of padlock that uses keys, every 2nd, 3rd or 4th lock is made to these requirements, therefore the chances of you having the keys to open another person's padlock are reduced and the time it would take you to find out would negate the effort needed

I'm aware this could be considered one of those threads that is close/pre season waffle but I would welcome any lock experts' thoughts on this.

Comments

• PS I must add that this question doesn't apply to padlocks that use numbers and combinations to be opened
  • A cheap padlock will be have something a 1 in 10 keys/lock before they repeat, a more expensive one could be 1 in 50 or 1 in 100.
  • I was hoping for a canal thread. Oh well.
  • Check out YouTube. You'll find an explanation of how most padlocks can be opened using nothing more than a coke can.

*Other drink cans are available.
  • A cheap padlock will be have something a 1 in 10 keys/lock before they repeat, a more expensive one could be 1 in 50 or 1 in 100.

MrLargo said:

Remember getting in my mate's Citroen AX after a night at the pub, late 1990's. 4 of us squeezed in, my mate in the driving seat. Does his seat belt up, puts the key in the ignition, then says "hang on a minute, this isn't my car!"

His car, same model, same color, same year, was parked three cars further up the hill.

Not sure what the moral of this story is, but maybe you should get a combination lock.

cafcfan said:

Check out YouTube. You'll find an explanation of how most padlocks can be opened using nothing more than a coke can.

*Other drink cans are available.

Excellent contributions - all of you
  • MrLargo said:

Remember getting in my mate's Citroen AX after a night at the pub, late 1990's. 4 of us squeezed in, my mate in the driving seat. Does his seat belt up, puts the key in the ignition, then says "hang on a minute, this isn't my car!"

His car, same model, same color, same year, was parked three cars further up the hill.

Not sure what the moral of this story is, but maybe you should get a combination lock.

Can't believe how helpful this post is.
  • Surely it's the same for front doors too?
  • edited July 2017
    Why not just try the key in similar locks?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017
    I thought this thread was going to be about canals.

Edit:Just seen Fishy beat me to it.
  • edited July 2017
    bobmunro said:

But it provides some nice respite from the article 50 thread bob :wink:
  • bobmunro said:

cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

But it provides some nice respite from the article 50 thread bob :wink:
    Chippy will be along any minute claiming locks were better when we had an empire. The respite will be short lived.

Meanwhile, a moment of relaxation (about 300 yards from where I live) :)

That just made me burst out laughing
  • And this is about 300 yards from my house. I hope this turns into a canal thread.

Neptune's Staircase - bit too flashy?
  • Locks only keep out honest men and bad thieves. And day cruisers on a bank holiday.

That's not a flight of locks... this is a flight of locks:

• Sponsored links:

• The Kuwait military don't just do locks, you can stir your tea with it after.
  • Ford cortinas in the early 80's had about 8 keys, the AA used to carry them.
  • I just dreaded how this thread would develop......

• MrLargo said:

How the hell did you get into it then?

I remember being @ Bexleyheath Shopping Centre about 10-years ago... Got back to my car (a VW Golf) and was panicking that the door wouldnt unlock, dont know why but decided to look at the Reg Plate and realised it wasnt my car

Like your mate though it was the exact same model | colour | year
  • MrLargo said:

How the hell did you get into it then?

I remember being @ Bexleyheath Shopping Centre about 10-years ago... Got back to my car (a VW Golf) and was panicking that the door wouldnt unlock, dont know why but decided to look at the Reg Plate and realised it wasnt my car

Like your mate though it was the exact same model | colour | year
    That's the point FA, and the connection to Cabbles original post. His key worked on a car other than his own.

That is just plain daft. If you were on a boat you'd never get through all of those in a day !! Why so many ???

That is just plain daft. If you were on a boat you'd never get through all of those in a day !! Why so many ???
    It's a very big drop!!

Yes it takes forever, especially when you bear in mind that if one is coming down, nobody can go up. Traversing has to be booked in advance with limited numbers each day - can't just turn up and expect to go through.
  • This is personally my favourite lock

• This guy was one of my favourites:

Where's that one?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!