Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Turf Wars - A History of London Football

New book written by Steve Tongue.

Really good read.

Comments

• thanks for the heads up ((:>)
  • look interesting, cheers
  • Hmmm.......... I was having a moment. Didn't mean to drop it in 'Not Sports Related'!!
  • Does the intro gambit on Amazon make no sense at all???

"Few cities in the world have as many professional football clubs as London and none have the history explored in this book by journalist and broadcaster Steve Tongue"

"Few cities in the world have as many professional football clubs as London and none have the history explored in this book by journalist and broadcaster Steve Tongue"

I agree, they've got some cheek to say that. Maybe, it's tongue in cheek though.
  • It's my holiday reading next week, looking forward to it, will not look at this thread until I've finished it. Top bloke is Steve.
  • You sure it's not a history of Burnley football?

Makes sense to me.

Hope he's a better judge than his sister who's keen on KM
  • So he doesn't explore the history of any clubs in the book then?

What is it about?
  • So he doesn't explore the history of any clubs in the book then?

What is it about?

No, he explores a history of London football!. Clue's in the title!

'Haven't laughed this hard in a long time, I better stop now before I start crying!'
  • Sponsored links:

Makes sense to me.

I thought Jo Tounge was his daughter?
  • _MrDick said:

Does the intro gambit on Amazon make no sense at all???

Makes sense to me.

I thought Jo Tounge was his daughter?
    Think you are correct.

He's speaking in tongues ..................
  • edited July 2017
    Had it since sept but have only just started to read it properly whilst sunning it in Skiathos!!

Fascinating chronological history of London football clubs, with no small amount written about Charlton.

Author has an interesting take on CAFC, stating that if (Woolwich) Arsenal had not have moved in 1913 Charlton would not have flourished in the manner in which they did and arguably wouldn't be the club (pre Belgian ownership) that they became.

• I've been abused in the past for suggesting that if Millwall had left their 1910 move from the Island until 1913 they could have moved straight into Woolwich Arsenal's vacant stadium in Plumstead and we could all be Spanners now ....

• I've been abused in the past for suggesting that if Millwall had left their 1910 move from the Island until 1913 they could have moved straight into Woolwich Arsenal's vacant stadium in Plumstead and we could all be Spanners now ....

Aaaaarghhh

Tempted to flag you for that.

But how likely was it really? Plumstead is further away from their original home. Arsenal left because they deemed it wasn't the best area in terms of potential amount of support. New Cross was deemed attractive by Millwall directors because of it's potential for greater support levels.

The cost of acquiring land and building a stadium, as opposed to moving to an existing ground in Plumstead, would probably not be hugely significant.
  • Had it since sept but have only just started to read it properly whilst sunning it in Skiathos!!

Fascinating chronological history of London football clubs, with no small amount written about Charlton.

Author has an interesting take on CAFC, stating that if (Woolwich) Arsenal had not have moved in 1913 Charlton would not have flourished in the manner in which they did and arguably wouldn't be the club (pre Belgian ownership) that they became.

A fairly common and long standing take on the move.
  • I am sure I read somewhere that one reason Arsenal moved was because it was thought that the sporting potential in our area was Rugby Union.
    In 1905 15,000 fans filled the Rectory Field for a match between Blackheath and the All Blacks.
    Other clubs like Westcombe Park and Charlton Park were around and thriving I believe. of course this might all be a minor comment in the history of Arsenal.
    What I do know about Arsenal is that they play in the top division as the only team never having to have won legitimate promotion to that level.
  • Sponsored links:

Yes, you're right. It's a really badly written intro.
  • seth plum said:

I am sure I read somewhere that one reason Arsenal moved was because it was thought that the sporting potential in our area was Rugby Union.
    In 1905 15,000 fans filled the Rectory Field for a match between Blackheath and the All Blacks.
    Other clubs like Westcombe Park and Charlton Park were around and thriving I believe. of course this might all be a minor comment in the history of Arsenal.
    What I do know about Arsenal is that they play in the top division as the only team never having to have won legitimate promotion to that level.

Interesting...just looking in old book that states they were promoted in 1904 as Woolwich Arsenal (finishing 2nd in division 2) and then again in 1915, when they finished 5th....during the war years, known then as just Arsenal.
  • seth plum said:

I am sure I read somewhere that one reason Arsenal moved was because it was thought that the sporting potential in our area was Rugby Union.

Yes finishing 5th in Division 2 was good enough for the gooners for some reason. I have no idea what that could be :wink:
  • seth plum said:

That's true in that they play in the top flight now, but there is another team that has played in the top flight but never achieved promotion...

Any guesses?

• Everton

Good guess but no.
    Won division two in 1930-31

• Ah is it an inaugural member a Glossop or Bury etc
  • Not those two, but go on...

• er..... Darwen, Accrington, Northwich
  • My guess it must be one of the original 12 and, without checking the records,out of them it's most likely to be Accrington