Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Smart LED bulbs

edited July 2017 in Not Sports Related
Are they any good?
Philips does a nice one (Hue), but heaps of cheap Chinese ones out there.
Just bought one and waiting for it to turn up.
http://m.gearbest.com/smart-lighting/pp_361555.html

I like the idea of being able to control it from your phone. Switching on/off, when you're not home. Having it gradually go brighter and brighter in the morning (to resemble a sunrise).
What not to like is that WiFi has to be on, for this to work. We tend to switch this off at night time, for a better sleep (the wife's idea).

Anyone tried them?

Comments

• Wifi off for a better sleep?
  • Danepak said:

Are they any good?

I like the idea of being able to control it from your phone. Switching on/off, when you're not home. Having it gradually go brighter and brighter in the morning (to resemble a sunrise).
    What not to like is that WiFi has to be on, for this to work. We tend to switch this off at night time, for a better sleep (the wife's idea).

Anyone tried them?

I'm afraid i'm still in the dark about them.
  • The only way, turning off wifi at night helps you sleep... is if you're 16 and have a wifi addiction :)
  • Danepak said:

Are they any good?

Anyone tried them?

Is that with or without WiFi?
  • MrOneLung said:

Wifi off for a better sleep?

My wife believes so. Do I? Don't really know.
    https://wellnessmama.com/128198/wifi-safe/
  • Danepak said:

Are they any good?

Anyone tried them?

Is that with or without WiFi?
    With WiFi, but you can still control the fancier ones without.
    I guess you might be able to control the cheaper ones too, although they state it's only via WiFi. Maybe by using a VPN, but not sure.
  • I've got Phillips hue. Works with my Amazon echo too so I can turn my lights off with my voice.
  • I've also got Phillips Hue... It's useful come winter because if you're out late you can turn your lights on from wherever you are to make it look as though your home

Did that nearly every night when I was on Holiday in Sicily last August for a few hours
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017

I've also got Phillips Hue... It's useful come winter because if you're out late you can turn your lights on from wherever you are to make it look as though your home

Did that nearly every night when I was on Holiday in Sicily last August for a few hours

I just use one of these. screwfix.com/p/wireless-digital-light-switch-timer/8835h Works with CFLs, LEDs or whatever. Fits on standard switches from one to three gang.
  • I've got Phillips hue. Works with my Amazon echo too so I can turn my lights off with my voice.

The cheap bulb I'm buying it compatible with Amazon Alexa as well, so should be able to do the same.
  • Addickted said:

I've got a light switch.

Push it down and the lights come on, push it up and the lights go off.

And doesn't decide it's busy with a firmware update while you're trying to use it.
  • I have three connected to alexa. One in the hall, one in the bedroom and one in the living room.
    I quite enjoy them obeying voice commands, and also the internal dimming quality.
    Luxury purchase tho', not essential.
  • edited July 2017
    Got an Alexa but what do I need to turn lights on/off? Is it just an App and special bulbs?
  • I've got six of them connected via Wink in a room with only a single light switch. Really handy to turn individual lights on/off and dim the others..
  • Got an Alexa but what do I need to turn lights on/off? Is it just an App and special bulbs?

There's some plugs you can buy for about 20 quid and it will turn anything on/off which is plugged into them, by voice.

I have a few dotted around the house.

TP-Link Wi-Fi Smart Plug Works with Amazon Alexa, No Hub Required, Control Your Devices From Anywhere HS100 (UK Plug) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I3ZCBFK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Ii765r7kwzv6A
  • The Philips Hue lightbulb have wifi built into the bayonet area I believe. I got one multicoloured all singing and dancing one for the living room, and the other two are two tone. Beware a lot of them are screw in so make sure you sort your connection. You then get your nephew to set it up and you can control them by voice control by asking Alexa.
    For anybody other than me the set up appears to be a piece of resistance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ikea do then now, loads cheaper then Hue, and getting Alexa/HomeKit support this summer
  • Rothko said:

Ikea do then now, loads cheaper then Hue, and getting Alexa/HomeKit support this summer

Don't IKEA bulbs have different fittings & only fit IKEA lights?
  • Just read about IFTTT (IF This Then That).
    Completely pointless, but you could actually programme your smart LED bulb to go red and white, every time Charlton scores.
    Someones done it for PSV: https://ifttt.com/applets/398931p-let-your-hue-light-s-blink-when-psv-eindhoven-scores-a-goal
  • Got an Alexa but what do I need to turn lights on/off? Is it just an App and special bulbs?

I believe there is a Phillips Hue starter kit that comes with two bulbs and a hub. Basically you plug the hub into your router and it enables Alexa to speak to the bulbs through the hub. Warning though, you can get addicted :lol: I can turn my whole entertainment system on now with my voice and change inputs etc. (TV, Surround Sound, Xbox, Fire Stick, Record Player). I can also turn my hot water & heating on too.

I believe there is a Phillips Hue starter kit that comes with two bulbs and a hub. Basically you plug the hub into your router and it enables Alexa to speak to the bulbs through the hub. Warning though, you can get addicted :lol: I can turn my whole entertainment system on now with my voice and change inputs etc. (TV, Surround Sound, Xbox, Fire Stick, Record Player). I can also turn my hot water & heating on too.
    I need this in my life.
  • Can those pesky Russians et al then take over your house when you're not there and run amok?
  • Solidgone said:

Can those pesky Russians et al then take over your house when you're not there and run amok?

I thought it was the poltergeist, could be Russians though.
  • edited July 2017
    I have British Gas Hive that works with Alexa. They also have sensors too, as you open my front door, after the sun set, lights come on then other lights come on when the sun sets and go off at about 11pm, then if anyone walks across the upstairs hall, lights come on for three minutes so that I can walk to the kitchen and back.

Over all the system is great, it's just very expensive, but with the competition coming in it will soon be a lot cheaper. Same as always, the early adopter pays more.

Having said that I do believe that the Hive heating and hot water system has more than paid for itself with much lower gas bills.