Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

7 July Memorial

2»

Comments

• edited July 2017

12 years ago today. Quite shocked how little i've seen on the news/social media about it.

Was talking with this about someone at work this morning.

9/11 every year there is something on the news about the latest memorial yet 7/7 appears to have disappeared into History.
  • Thought the same but for me it will never be forgotten. My dad had a lucky escape, but the worry at the time for him was immense. RIP to all those lost.
  • doesn't surprise me its not remembered tbh would only be someone offended, sometimes the pc rulebook needs to be ripped up and put in the bin.

very sad day i remember it well i was on work experience at the time and was only on 2nd day they wouldn't have me in anymore for the week as thought it was too dangerous.
  • Pedro45 said:

I will never forget it.

I used to work at the BMA in Tavistock Square, but had left my job at Xmas 2004. My girlfriend at the time was still working there. I didn't have a job that July, and was on the computer job-hunting when she rang. I was looking forward to watching the England vs Australia ODI at Headingley later that day. She said a bomb had gone off outside. She had heard it, walked out onto the 1st floor balcony at the front of the building, and looked down into what remained of the bus, seconds after it happened. You can imagine what she saw. She was distraught. She rang before many of the phones lines went down. A few of the BMA House security staff got involved in aftermath; there were body bits in the courtyard, which was then used as a triage station by the ambulance service. Ironically, few doctors were on hand at BMA House at that time of the morning! She stayed in the building until told it was OK to leave and then walked to Waterloo, and got a train out to Leatherhead where a husband of another staff member picked them up and drove them home.

A year later and she was getting more and more upset about the anniversary. I took her for a drink in Bradley's, just off Oxford Street. We drowned her sorrows. I didn't want her to have bad memories of 7th July every year, so I proposed to her. She accepted, and we got married about six months later.

Now, every 7th July we celebrate the anniversary of our engagement, and don't have to think about the mayhem and suffering on that day in London.

RIP those that died.

Great story. Happy anniversary.
  • Lovely story Pedro.
  • 12 years ago today. Quite shocked how little i've seen on the news/social media about it.

Was talking with this about someone at work this morning.

9/11 every year there is something on the news about the latest memorial yet 7/7 appears to have disappeared into History.
    I guess for New York, that was their only terrorist atrocity and indeed the only attack on NYC (and to be fair the scale of it still staggers) whereas for London, it's just one of many, albeit the worst, never mind the losses from WW2 etc