Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Robert Millar now Phillipa York

British cyclist now a woman and to work as a pundit on ITV4. Did incredible things in the Tour de France but this must have been a tough journey - glad that she is given a role in the cycling community.

How the world has changed!

Comments

• Yeah saw this on the news this morning was utterly gobsmacked - Great move from ITV4 to get her onboard as having been a winner of the Polka Dot Jersey she'll have a great insight during the Mountain stages
  • I know a couple of people that have done this and they, too, changed their surnames as well as their forenames. Never quite understood why. I guess it must be a complete break from the past and a fresh start?
  • cafcfan said:

I know a couple of people that have done this and they, too, changed their surnames as well as their forenames. Never quite understood why. I guess it must be a complete break from the past and a fresh start?

I guess it is the fresh start in life... Especially for Phillipa as she mentions it in the below link:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/06/philippa-york-gender-transition-cyclist-robert-millar

Asked how she has dealt in recent years with the fact that the world of cycling had one image of her and she had another, York says: “I can only deal with that by putting the Robert part of my life into one box and the life I live now into another.

The only strange part reading that is the way she almost refers to Robert Miller as being someone else entirely
  • Wow, having read one of Robert's books, this has come as a bit of a shock. Best of luck to Phillipa.

• Bloody hell. Really?
  • I was thinking of David Millar!

Thought it was a bit sudden.
  • OMG, I never saw that coming. Robert is a regular poster on Bikeradar (forum) and I have had some great chats with him about his time in the TDF.

Oh well, each to their own
  • If it makes him / her happy, then fair play.
  • Rothko said:

Lovely letter from David Millar

https://chpt3.com/blogs/journal/dear-millar

Brilliant words from David... Sounds like he's known for a while that Robert is no longer Robert.
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

Wow, having read one of Robert's books, this has come as a bit of a shock. Best of luck to Phillipa.

Its was David's book I had read, wasnt it? numpty!
  • The first image in my head when I read the thread title was the Cameroon striker.
  • edited July 2017
    It's funny that I mentioned Robert Millar a few days ago in the forgotten sports stars thread. Welcome back to the limelight and good luck Phillipa York.
  • Good luck to Phillipa.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Wow, having read one of Robert's books, this has come as a bit of a shock. Best of luck to Phillipa.

Its was David's book I had read, wasnt it? numpty!
    Bloody good book it was too. Quite eye opening.
  • I'm waiting for the "Would Ya" thread..........
  • I sometimes feel I'm a kangaroo born in a human body , can I somehow change?

FFS
  • buckshee said:

I sometimes feel I'm a kangaroo born in a human body , can I somehow change?

FFS

Not sure if you can get treatment for this - good luck.
  • buckshee said:

FFS

You can probably get something done in the Hopital.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017
    buckshee said:

FFS

All you need to do is hop down the road wondering who's pinched your last rolo
  • buckshee said:

FFS

I really hop so
  • It is impossible for a human being to change sex. Surgery and drugs are not the answer. Psychotherapy probably is.

Tin hat on and ducking down into the trench.
  • buckshee said:

FFS

You can probably get something done in the Hopital.
    On the put upon NHS.
  • buckshee said:

FFS

Had a mate who had this done. Had an extra bounce in his step after.
  • If it makes her happy, then fair play.

Corrected for you.
  • Good luck to her. Very brave. Wish her all the best.
  • buckshee said:

FFS

FFS? You sound personally affronted. But then it's hard to talk about these things without some snowflake getting offended over someone's personal choices
  • buckshee said:

FFS

Don't go anywhere near Rolfe, especially if he's holding rope!