Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Manchester Hotel - Help Needed for a clueless Canadian

Any good recommendations for a hotel in Manchester - have just booked tickets for my son & I for the Sunday of the England - South Africa Test Match next month.

Will be looking to spend 3 nights in Manchester - travelling up after the Bristol Rovers game - looking for something comfortable but not expensive for a family of 4 - with easy access to Old Trafford & the City Centre.

I actually lived in Manchester 1987 - 1992 but am sure it is totally unrecognizable from those days.

Comments

• King Street Townhouse.

Blinding gaff.
  • I can still remember your 'short cut' walk back from Maine Rd that took us right into a mob of them !
  • King Street Townhouse.

Blinding gaff.

I was in Manchester today and went past this place, looks really nice.
  • IF you book at Travelodge, use the code SUMMER2017 for a 15% discount when settling up, if you book before July 10th(ish) .. valid for stays up to 3 nights .. enjoy your trip
  • Malmaison Manchester great hotel suites are reasonably priced the Man City one was pretty mint to be honest
  • Thanks everyone - who needs Tripadvisor when you have the combined intelligence of Charlton Lifers

@AFKABartram oh god yes - that was an interesting walk but I have to say @Riscardo out did me at Wolves when we strolled through their angry mob so he could get a Mango Milkshake from a nearby takeaway !
  • Oakster said:

Thanks everyone - who needs Tripadvisor when you have the combined intelligence of Charlton Lifers

@AFKABartram oh god yes - that was an interesting walk but I have to say @Riscardo out did me at Wolves when we strolled through their angry mob so he could get a Mango Milkshake from a nearby takeaway !

That's 27 year olds for you.
  • Please avoid the Smithfield pub in Swan St. Rain dripping down inside of windows, fire trap warren of corridors. Thank fuck I was pissed all weekend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Please avoid the Smithfield pub in Swan St. Rain dripping down inside of windows, fire trap warren of corridors. Thank fuck I was pissed all weekend.

Most of the pubs I knew in Manchester back in the late 80s were like that - our local was like something from the 18th century - wipe your feet on the way out kind of place. The City was very grey and grim & we lived in Moss Side to top it all off - but the music scene was incredible!
  • edited July 2017

IF you book at Travelodge, use the code SUMMER2017 for a 15% discount when settling up, if you book before July 10th(ish) .. valid for stays up to 3 nights .. enjoy your trip

The Travelodge on Bridge Street is alright as far as Travelodges go. Personally I prefer the Mercure. Avoid The Portland Hotel: it pretends in its marketing to be something swish and upmarket, but is in fact an overpriced hole with tiny rooms.
  • Oakster said:

Please avoid the Smithfield pub in Swan St. Rain dripping down inside of windows, fire trap warren of corridors. Thank fuck I was pissed all weekend.

Most of the pubs I knew in Manchester back in the late 80s were like that - our local was like something from the 18th century - wipe your feet on the way out kind of place. The City was very grey and grim & we lived in Moss Side to top it all off - but the music scene was incredible!
    Some very good pubs up there. I think all the Holts ones are good - in particular The Old Monkey springs to mind. The Sawyers Arms is very interesting and has a good range of beer, and even though it's run by the normally expensive Nicholson chain, the prices don't seem as bad as down south. And the food in there is excellent value. The Old Nags Head on Jacksons Row is well worth a visit just to take in the decor: hundreds of b&w photos. It could probably do with a few less of Matt Busby and Georgie Best, bet there are still loads of really interesting ones.
  • Bloody Frenchies, coming over here and taking our test match tickets.
  • Stig said:

Oakster said:

Please avoid the Smithfield pub in Swan St. Rain dripping down inside of windows, fire trap warren of corridors. Thank fuck I was pissed all weekend.

Some very good pubs up there. I think all the Holts ones are good - in particular The Old Monkey springs to mind. The Sawyers Arms is very interesting and has a good range of beer, and even though it's run by the normally expensive Nicholson chain, the prices don't seem as bad as down south. And the food in there is excellent value. The Old Nags Head on Jacksons Row is well worth a visit just to take in the decor: hundreds of b&w photos. It could probably do with a few less of Matt Busby and Georgie Best, bet there are still loads of really interesting ones.
    The Peveril of the Peak, The Whitworth, Lass o' Gowrie, Britons Protection - those were the pubs we used to drink in - no idea if they are still around..
  • Oakster said:

Stig said:

Oakster said:

The Peveril of the Peak, The Whitworth, Lass o' Gowrie, Britons Protection - those were the pubs we used to drink in - no idea if they are still around..
    Not names familiar to me. That doesn't mean they aren't there though, just that I haven't stumbled across them (yet).
  • 57 Thomas street v good for your craft if that's your sort of thing, stayed up there for the grand national and stayed in the double tree by Hilton, v good and from memory wasn't that pricey.
  • Piccadilly Tap is the pub you need :-)
  • Here is very good http://www.theplaceaparthotel.com/

You could permanently live comfortably in their two-bed apartments.

As previously said, Malmaison is also very good.

The Midland is a bit dated in places but for me still the best hotel in Manchester - https://www.qhotels.co.uk/our-locations/the-midland-manchester/

• The Holiday Inn Express by Oxford Road station was pretty decent for the money when I stayed there earlier this year.

For the cricket ground, you just need to use the Metrolink system. During matches, a lot of people board at Piccadilly station, so they tend to be full once they leave there
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017
    Oakster said:

Stig said:

Oakster said:

The Pev is still there but not sure about the others @Oakster . It's long gone now, but did you ever drink in Tommy ducks, not far from the Pev? Cracking boozer with the ceiling totally covered in womans knickers, every size, shape and colour. Seen many a bird drop them and hand them in over the bar lol.

As for a hotel, get yourself in to Hotel football right outside Old Trafford, the trams stop there and head straight in to the city.