Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Testamonial matches

2»

Comments

• just wondered if anyone knows who played in Les Berrys testimonial? I know George Best was playing for us but who else was there?

Les Berry played.
  • just wondered if anyone knows who played in Les Berrys testimonial? I know George Best was playing for us but who else was there?

Les Berry played.
    Jim Davidson commentated
  • Can't believe that game against Porto was 15 years ago!
  • In which game did Johnny Haynes play for us?
  • I think testimonials are a bit old hat now - certainly for Premier league players (but then a vast many players never stay for more than a few years - 5 at most) . It was a traditional way for long serving players to get a pay out on retirement. Most players now are very well paid & don't really need it.

Even someone like Jonny Jackson - if we say he's on £5k p/week, that's £250k pa. I'm sure its a very nice gesture but does he really need it ?? I don't see many City traders retiring at 35 on a good pension & getting a tax free bonus to boot.
  • cafctom said:

I think testimonials are a bit old hat now - certainly for Premier league players (but then a vast many players never stay for more than a few years - 5 at most) . It was a traditional way for long serving players to get a pay out on retirement. Most players now are very well paid & don't really need it.

Even someone like Jonny Jackson - if we say he's on £5k p/week, that's £250k pa. I'm sure its a very nice gesture but does he really need it ?? I don't see many City traders retiring at 35 on a good pension & getting a tax free bonus to boot.

These days it is just a way to dedicate a day to a long serving player with proceeds going to a charity of their choice. Nothing wrong with that at all IMO.
    I agree its good if it does go to charity, but I've not heard of that before.
  • edited July 2017

I have not been able to check if they were all played at the Valley (or were actually played), but I have the following Testimonial programmes

29/4/65 - Chelsea - John Hewie
    5/5/66 - Ex Charlton Stars v International Club - John Hewie
    25/4/69 - Chelsea - Brian Kinsey
    8/2/72 - Chelsea - Keith Peacock
    5/12/72 - West Ham United - Charlie Hall
    30/4/73 - QPR - Charlie Hall
    12/11/74 - West Ham United - Peter Reeves
    28/10/75 - Arsenal - Les Gore
    14/3/77 - Sunderland - Graham Tutt
    8/5/78 - QPR - Bobby Curtis
    7/5/80 - Crystal Palace - Phil Warman
    23/5/83 - Tottenham - Colin Powell
    16/5/84 - Arsenal - Les Berry
    9/5/86 - West Ham United - Derek Hales (Selhurst Park)
    4/4/89 - Tottenham - Steve Gritt (Selhurst Park)
    24/4/95 - Sheffield Wednesday - Bob Bolder
    10/8/96 - Tottenham - Colin Walsh
    4/8/97 - West Ham United - Simon Webster
    8/8/98 - Hearts - Alan Curbishley
    30/7/99 - West Ham United - Keith Peacock
    12/8/00 - Vicenza - Steve Brown
    10/8/02 - FC Porto - John Robinson
    9/8/03 - NEC-Nijmegen - Clive Mendonca
    27/7/13 - Inverness Caledonian - Colin Powell

I have a number of other programmes covering Charlton players, which were played against minor teams away from the Valley. It was the norm in the 60s/70s for each player to have a number of these games.

Charlton have also been involved in a large number of away testimonials.

All the programmes can be found on my flickr site

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/albums

The Brian Kinsey one was at Bexley Utd's ground, now Welling Utd, and must have been the one where Peter Reeves broke his leg. Peacocks one was the biggest gate of the season as I recall and would have been the one where it was a constant battle going on all around the ground all night long
  • In which game did Johnny Haynes play for us?

It was the Chelsea John Hewie game.

I think the programme is in my loft....

• Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017
    I'm sure i went to someones testimonial over at Wellings ground, it would've been a Charlton player and Davy Jones (The Monkees) played, must have been late Eighties. And no i'm not a daydream believer.
  • cafctom said:

I think testimonials are a bit old hat now - certainly for Premier league players (but then a vast many players never stay for more than a few years - 5 at most) . It was a traditional way for long serving players to get a pay out on retirement. Most players now are very well paid & don't really need it.

These days it is just a way to dedicate a day to a long serving player with proceeds going to a charity of their choice. Nothing wrong with that at all IMO.
    Loads have, Niall Quinn for one.
  • I'm sure i went to someones testimonial over at Wellings ground, it would've been a Charlton player and Davy Jones (The Monkees) played must have been late Eighties. And no i'm not a daydream believer.

I remember that too. I also can't remember who's testimonial it was !
  • cafctom said:

Loads have, Niall Quinn for one.
    I think Niall got the ball rolling and most top players do it now.
  • What are the 'rules' on testimonials? 300 games or something? I think it'd be a shame if Jackson didn't get one when he retires, just out of respect for his time at the club.
  • I'm sure i went to someones testimonial over at Wellings ground, it would've been a Charlton player and Davy Jones (The Monkees) played must have been late Eighties. And no i'm not a daydream believer.

Paul Walsh played and got mobbed at the end with fans trying to rip his shirt off.

"Diddy" David Hamilton did commentary over tha pa system

I think it was for Derek Hales- the one at Selhurst was pretty sparsely attended so maybe they did it for that reason. Bizzarely, I remember Killer starting the game at left back, and Terry Naylor running past us on the way to the ground with his boots in his hand about ten minutes before KO. Davy Jones looked a good player, but would have definitely failed the height test.
  • What are the 'rules' on testimonials? 300 games or something? I think it'd be a shame if Jackson didn't get one when he retires, just out of respect for his time at the club.

used to be 10 years service, don't think there are rules as such though

Think that's right - we offered Andy Hunt one but he said thanks but he didn't need it, and he was only here 3 or 4 years.
  • Why did Simon Webster get one? I loved him as player but he wasn't with us for very long.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Simon Webster one was a benefit match after injury ended his career.
  • edited July 2017

What are the 'rules' on testimonials? 300 games or something? I think it'd be a shame if Jackson didn't get one when he retires, just out of respect for his time at the club.

Solly said at the kit sponsors evening that he will have done ten years next season and will qualify for a testimonial.

Les Berry played.
    Jim Davidson commentated
    Nick nick signed my programme that night.

Les Berry played.
    Jim Davidson commentated
    He signed my autograph book too. Remember he pulled up in a Rolls Royce with a missing hub cap.

Les Berry played.
    Jim Davidson commentated
    He signed my autograph book too. Remember he pulled up in a Rolls Royce with a missing hub cap.
    If I remember rightly he done a gig in Liverpool the night before.
  • Remember the Graham Tutt game against Sunderland. Think Malcolm McDonald and Bill Oddie played for us that night.

Les Berry played.
    Jim Davidson commentated
    Are you saying the two are connected?

Les Berry played.
    Jim Davidson commentated
    They must only had 3 in stock at the Rolls garage the next day.