Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Memorabilia / Testimonial / George Best

The game at Welling United was a Derek Hales team v George Best team
Davey Jones and Fish the singer from Marillion played.The game was organised by an ex Welling player and business man to raise money for Welling United..The same business man arranged for George Best to play for Charlton v Arsenal in the Les Berry testimonia.Attached picture George Best actual shirt from the game.Also programme from the Welling game.

Comments

• I have it in my head the Best never turned up? Or was very late?

Good chance this was the first football game I ever attended
  • Great items @Delfin

Mind if I nick the photos for the Museum Twitter account?
  • Wow, what a shirt to have -even better that it hasn't been washed. A genuine treasure
  • Played for my local team too, Dunstable Town.. while Barry fry was there
  • Who were the 2 dudes in Bests line up that didnt have teams next to them ?
  • great kit that one, that would do for an away kit now
  • I have it in my head the Best never turned up? Or was very late?

Good chance this was the first football game I ever attended

I vaguely remember him not showing up, think his Manager was there though.
  • Delfin said:

Davey Jones and Fish the singer from Marillion played.The game was organised by an ex Welling player and business man to raise money for Welling United..The same business man arranged for George Best to play for Charlton v Arsenal in the Les Berry testimonia.Attached picture George Best actual shirt from the game.Also programme from the Welling game.

Would love that Charlton line up today!
  • Delfin said:

Fish sat behind me for Derek Hales testimonial at Sellhurst just before this game. Got him to sign my programme.
  • 're Welling game .George turned up on time and played full 90 mins.Crowd more than 2.000 . Pic enclosed George with Davey Jones and Derek Hales after the game.Tony Flood ex Kentish Times was a sub lifetime dream to play even 5 mins with George Best
  • Sponsored links:

• I think there must have been two testimonial / charity games at Welling around that time as I'm pretty sure George never turned up for one
  • According to Colin Cameron's Home and Away the Less Berry Testimonial was 15 May 1984. 4,036 there which raised £10,292

Charlton 3 (Best, Robinson, R Lee) Arsenal 4 (Meade, Talbot, Davies (2) )

Am I correct in thinking the signed shirt was from this game and that the programme above was a different games, possibly when George didn't turn up.
  • "Delfin
    In answer to some posts.George Best did arrive early .and played full the90 mins at Welling United Crowd was well over 2.000
    Enclosed 2 pics taken after the game with Davey Jones also Derek Hales."

@Delfin you posted this in error on a different page
  • edited July 2017
    I was at that game and remember that Fish from Marillion looked enormous.
  • The white shirt in the photo is the actual shirt George wore in the Les Berry testimonial.Also its signed very rare only time George Best played for Charlton.