Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rooney back to Everton

Going round that it's a done deal.

Good move or bad move?

Also talk of Giroud going there. Certainly money being spent at that club

Comments

• edited July 2017
    Not good for the youngsters and their opportunities of breaking through there if they're bringing in all these veteran players.
  • edited July 2017
    Klaassen, Keane and Pickford were very good deals.
    Wouldn't want Rooney and Giroud though, thats the complete opposite of what Koeman is trying to build.
  • Back to his boyhood club will reinvigorate him I reckon. May not be the great player he was but still very capable of doing a very good job in the PL.
  • Personally don't understand why he (and John Terry) don't just go out to America for a couple of years. Earn fantastic money and experience a fantastic different way of life (within their comfort zone ie. Not China or Middle East), and play at a level they will be comfortable with.

Rooney has a fantastic attitude on the pitch, but can't see this ending well tbh

I understand it, they're already both loaded and they can go and live somewhere exotic when they finish playing if they want, but no matter how much money you've got there's only a limited amount of time you can play Football at the highest most competitive level, especially Rooney he is still only 31.
  • Not good for the youngsters and their opportunities of breaking through there if they're bringing in all these veteran players.

"you can't win anything with kids"

In all seriousness, I think they need to find a balance, it's ok having exciting young players but you do need the odd experienced player around. If I were them, would take Giroud but not Rooney.
  • would knock Lookman down the pecking order - perhaps he could be loaned out - any offers ???
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017

would knock Lookman down the pecking order - perhaps he could be loaned out - any offers ???

Maybe. Suspect he'll be competing against his U-20 teammates Calvert-Lewin and Kieren Dowell for playing time this year.

By the way if they were to loan him out he'd definitely go to at least a Championship side. No chance of us getting him back.
  • It would be a good move for Everton, United and Rooney. He went downhill very suddenly, but almost 400 United appearance and almost 200 goals, plus 119 Caps with 53 goals shows he was something special - the move may also spark him up.
  • edited July 2017
    Rooney is past it. Maybe he'd still be a reasonable signing for a team in the lower half of the table but I rather thought Everton had higher ambitions this season. Don't think he will improve them and will be on big money. Sounds to me like their new owners wanting to sign a name. Doesn't sound like a Koeman signing.
  • The deal would be ok IF he would earn 10% of his 250k a week wages.

Anything more would be crazy
  • Once a blue, always a blue.....
  • Sometimes a simple change can be beneficial to a player.

I thought Hreidarsson and Francis were knackered when they left Charlton ... or am I confusing this with the Charltonised phenomenon?
  • I think for whatever reason he's gone massively downhill in such a short space of time. If you were to draw a graph of his form and compare it to most footballers in the top echelons of the game, whereby most top players go up over time and plateau at a certain point and stay at a steady level of performance for a few years before they reach the twilight of their career, his was up, and then quite sharply down, before plateauing at a point quite low down

The modern game has passed him by, and his last decent season was Ferguson's last season at Man Utd. Since then he's reminded me of a poor man's Kevin Nolan

Given the choice I would take Defoe over Rooney given how their respective last few years have transpired

I think he'll look even further adfrift in an everton team who will feel compelled to start him because of the wages and that they've signed him. Big mistake for me. If they get Giroud as well and they are the replacements for Lukaku, then that will be poor.

PS - I def don't want him starting with England anymore. After watching how far behind we are the likes of Germany, we don't need him in the team
  • edited July 2017
    it beats me why people write off Rooney so quickly. He's got a huge amount of talent and bucket loads of experience. Not every player in a team has to run around like a headless chicken for 90 mins to prove how super fit they are. His talent lies in being a play maker, ball holder and opportunity taker not a competitor for Mo farrah. We brought in Jorge Costa who looked like he couldn't manage 5 paces in under 10 mins yet if the opposition attacked he either always seemed to be there or if not he was marshalling somebody else to cover it and he covered them. Rooney's another player that knows where to be and how to read the play. Buying him and having him feeding passes to Giroud could be a master stroke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Still a class player - just needs to be used diffeerntly. I'd have him in a heartbeat - great move for him too.
  • Despite how poor England were at the Euros he was easily our best and most intelligent player out there.

I hope Everton can keep that squad together but I think this means Barkley will be off.
  • The only issue with them getting Rooney is where to play him. If he's playing off the striker then there's no place for Barkley, then in midfield they've just spent 25m on Klaasen so he'll surely play and they also have Davies who was a revelation last season.
  • Despite how poor England were at the Euros he was easily our best and most intelligent player out there.

I hope Everton can keep that squad together but I think this means Barkley will be off.

Good to see ' Rooney' and 'intelligent'' used in the same sentence. You don't often see that.
  • It could say he was played in a different way in 16/17
  • It could say he was played in a different way in 16/17

Even 2015/16 wasnt that when he was moved to Midfield as it began the debate whether Roy Hodgson should play him there or as a Striker at the Euros?
  • edited July 2017
    dizzee said:

A lot of money will be wasted on him. He's never been that great and certainly past it now.

Disagree he wasn't that great - he was a superb player.

He's rubbish now though - bad signing by Everton imho.