Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League at 25: fans from all 47 clubs on their best and worst memories

Nice little read here.

Best single moment for me would be beating Arsenal 4-2 at Highbury with the Chelsea 4-2 and Southampton 5-0 close behind.

Worst is Curbs leaving knowing what would follow.

Oh, and favourite player is probably Scott Parker, although there's too many to mention.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/03/premier-league-fans-all-47-clubs-best-worst-moments

Comments

• good little read cheers for sharing, for me nothing will beat that feeling of relegation that shit down the road. nigel bastards
  • Love the choice for Crystal Palace's worst moment :)

Best moment for me was always the Arsenal win (4-2) at Highbury.

Worst moment was probably the 6-1 defeat at home to Leeds... Was just in shock @ College for a week after that
  • edited July 2017
    Best moment should be the 4-2 win at Highbury, but I wasn't there having been to all our other games there since 1988 so still leaves a sweet/bitter taste - probably would have to go for the 3-3 game v Man U. We played them off the pitch for the first 25 mins & went in 2-1 down having been 1-0 up after 40 mins. That last 10 mins was epic - and v. nearly won it !!

Worst was the last 10 mins v Spurs we were relegated with (expletive) Defoe rubbing it in with their 3rd. Although the chanting was uplifting it still hurt knowing that the little s**t should have been scoring for us.
  • First game in the premier league at The Valley wins it for me. I've never experienced that combination of nervousness and excitement building up to the game, but we absolutely battered Southampton whilst leaving to the announcement that we were top of the Premier League.

Worst moment was the Boxing Day defeat to West Ham, although the handball that wasn't against Fulham is definitely up there.

Favourite player for me in the Premier League was Mark Kinsella. He was epic in 98/99. Can't believe we kept hold of him the following year.
  • toss up between Arsenal 4-2 and Chelsea boxing day....think boxing day just wins for me.

worst, relegation.
  • Didn't even have to think as soon as I saw the thread title: Same as @Foreveraddicted, 4-2 v Arsenal, which I watched on TV, 1-6 v Leeds, which I attended.
  • Villa away. Second to last match of the season and we needed a win to keep us in with a chance for the final game.
    Steve Brown in goal after Sasha got sent off, Clive Mendonca scoring, 3-3 with hardly anytime left, a free kick that seemed to deflect off a multitude of players to make us 4-3 winners.

Not the most talented players we had during that era but the sum of the parts was more than we had before or after. I didn't even care that we were relegated that season, I knew we were streets ahead of the division below, (as I said to my Palace work colleagues). Wished I'd put my money where my mouth is.
  • Best moments:
    Charlton 5-0 Southampton - top of the Premier League after two games - after a10 man draw with Newcastle.
    Charlton 4-2 Chelsea on Boxing Day - Scott Parker was incredible - and it probably sealed his fate.
    Charlton 2-2 Palace - I was at that one actually. Great ending!
    The Villa game to stay up for one more week was incredible, remember watching Soccer Saturday and egtting the reports - a late Danny Mills goal to keep the dream alive another week.
    Bartlets goal against Leicester? Incredible.
    The 1-0 win over Liverpool in 1999. Keith Jones scores in the 58th minute. My first game at the Valley I think. Plenty at Selhurst in the 80s. I was 14, met Bob Boulder, Pringle, Youds, Jones, Newton, Robinson... and I got to rub that one in the Liverpool fans faces for some time after. It came right after that horrible losing streak too.

Favourite player would be Kinsella, followed by Parker and Jensen. Bent was something else for a while too. Not the other one.
    Least favourite player JFH. What a waste of money.

Worst moments:
    Relegation the first time was tough on a young el-pietro
    Curbs leaving and then Dowie buying Franny Jeffers and Djimi Trarore on the same day, I was on holiday at the time. Ruined my day at least.
    Les Reed.
  • el-pietro said:

Best moments:
    Charlton 5-0 Southampton - top of the Premier League after two games - after a10 man draw with Newcastle.
    Charlton 4-2 Chelsea on Boxing Day - Scott Parker was incredible - and it probably sealed his fate.
    Charlton 2-2 Palace - I was at that one actually. Great ending!
    The Villa game to stay up for one more week was incredible, remember watching Soccer Saturday and egtting the reports - a late Danny Mills goal to keep the dream alive another week.
    Bartlets goal against Leicester? Incredible.
    The 1-0 win over Liverpool in 1999. Keith Jones scores in the 58th minute. My first game at the Valley I think. Plenty at Selhurst in the 80s. I was 14, met Bob Boulder, Pringle, Youds, Jones, Newton, Robinson... and I got to rub that one in the Liverpool fans faces for some time after. It came right after that horrible losing streak too.

Favourite player would be Kinsella, followed by Parker and Jensen. Bent was something else for a while too. Not the other one.
    Least favourite player JFH. What a waste of money.

Worst moments:
    Relegation the first time was tough on a young el-pietro
    Curbs leaving and then Dowie buying Franny Jeffers and Djimi Trarore on the same day, I was on holiday at the time. Ruined my day at least.
    Les Reed.

Guess you mean Amdy Faye rather than Jeffers as Curbs brought in the latter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Best - Lisbie hat trick to beat Liverpool
    Worst - the utterly woeful 0-3 at home to Liverpool, live on the TV, absolutely gutless performance. Worse than the 1-6 Leeds game.
    Player- Parker Kiely
  • Villa away. Second to last match of the season and we needed a win to keep us in with a chance for the final game.
    Steve Brown in goal after Sasha got sent off, Clive Mendonca scoring, 3-3 with hardly anytime left, a free kick that seemed to deflect off a multitude of players to make us 4-3 winners.

Not the most talented players we had during that era but the sum of the parts was more than we had before or after. I didn't even care that we were relegated that season, I knew we were streets ahead of the division below, (as I said to my Palace work colleagues). Wished I'd put my money where my mouth is.

Facts a bit off but that villa game was only second away game I ever went to and had everything

Facts a bit off but that villa game was only second away game I ever went to and had everything
    That's age for you, the memory sees the things you like to be true.
    What bits did I get wrong? I was incredibly drunk by kick off so I can be forgiven for the confused state.

• Worst moment ever for English football: the day they created the PL.

That's age for you, the memory sees the things you like to be true.
    What bits did I get wrong? I was incredibly drunk by kick off so I can be forgiven for the confused state.

Haha no sorry wasn't a dig, aged 9 had the benefit of an alcohol free day :)

Believe it was Peterson rather than ilic in goal who was then sent off and Robinson who scored the equaliser.
  • Best - Lisbie hat trick to beat Liverpool
    Worst - the utterly woeful 0-3 at home to Liverpool, live on the TV, absolutely gutless performance. Worse than the 1-6 Leeds game.
    Player- Parker Kiely

Those 2 Liverpool games were epic for totally different reasons. I brought a mate with me to the first one who was a Liverppool supporter & I told ham at the start of the match that he had nothing to worry about as Missbie was playing & we wouldn't score for a month of sundays - and the second game you only have to watch a youtube clip of Alan Hansen's summing up the game on MOTD - "dreadful defending" was his mantra......