Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Terry signs for Aston Villa

Didn't see that coming. Not the usual routine like thing for a footballer of his calibre that's close to retirement. They usually jet off and follow the extreme excessive amounts of cash for a lesser challenge like in China or America.

Respect him for taking a challenge like that and dropping down a league.

i don't know how much football is left in him on the pitch but surely villas chance of success next season has risen now considerably.

Extremely competitive demanding person...a trait that will probably get passed around further in the dressing room.

The championship has improved.

Or it will be a car crash.

Comments

• He's only played about 15 matches in the previous two years.

However, I think it will prove to be a good signing and much better than when QPR tried to do the same thing with Rio Ferdinand.

Steve Bruce will set them up to avoid oppositions running directly behind or at Terry.

• The sort of footballer every team needs, but a shit human being
  • The sort of footballer every team needs, but a shit human being

I actually use him as an analogy to describe someone at work. "Brilliant engineer but an appalling human being"

Good for him to do it - he doesn't need the money - though Villa are probably paying more than most in that division. Interesting to see if this moves towards a foray into coaching or if he thinks he'll manage 46 games as their captain fantastic.

• One article suggested they're paying him £60k a week. Whatever he's on I'm sure it's a lot at Championship level and I don't think he'll prove good value for money.
  • Scoham said:

One article suggested they're paying him £60k a week. Whatever he's on I'm sure it's a lot at Championship level and I don't think he'll prove good value for money.

He will certainly contribute to organizing a much more solid defence whether he's on the field of play or not.. The kind you need in order to get promotion. It all starts from the back. The youngsters villa have are going to want to impress him.

Wish I put a bet on for villa promotion before they made the signing
  • edited July 2017
    Watch all the villa players propose to their girlfriends now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Completly depends on the rest of the team. He's a great addition to a young, inexperienced side in need of a leader. Someone with pace next to him and a dressing room that will listen and look up to him he'll work really well.

If it's a team full of has beens, journeymen and non-english speakers (as he wont be able to motivate those who cant understand caveman) and it'll be a complete waste.

I dont know the Villa team well enough
  • Scoham said:

One article suggested they're paying him £60k a week. Whatever he's on I'm sure it's a lot at Championship level and I don't think he'll prove good value for money.

But he's a free agent so no transfer fee. His salary is just over 3m for the season, hardly a lot given the prices players go for these days. I doubt he'll play in 46 games at his age but 3m plus bonuses for that kind of experience and the boost it'll likely give to the dressing room surely can't be bad value for money.
  • In the article it says it could be £80k p/wk if he gets them promotion. Fair Play rules not being abused here then ??

also looks like Bruce had to fight to get Terry to sign.............
  • I've backed Villa to top the Champ next season .. Terry's signing has greatly improved that prospect
  • I'm backing them to go down. Just have a feeling it's all going to end up in one massive catastrophic capitulation.
  • I'm backing them to go down. Just have a feeling it's all going to end up in one massive catastrophic capitulation.

Under Steve Bruce they should be fine... Reckon they'll be more in the Play-Offs

Sunderland are the new Aston Villa this season and could seriously struggle in the Championship themselves, Hull and Middlesbrough I see them both potentially having meh seasons - this could be a really open year, more so than previous
  • Great signing
  • In the article it says it could be £80k p/wk if he gets them promotion. Fair Play rules not being abused here then ??

also looks like Bruce had to fight to get Terry to sign.............

If Villa do well, they should get decent crowds though
  • He is a massive gambler and he needs the money. Shame to ruin your legacy like that.
  • skybet are paying 4 places on championship,league 1 and league 2 outrights.

just chucked a quid on leeds,charlton,swidon 2037/1
  • Sponsored links:

• Contract includes a guard of honour for every game. The egotistical prick
  • Why's he holding up Therry Racon's shirt? And they've spelt it wrong. I didn't even know he'd gone there...
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Says he chose the Championship cos he didn't have the heart to play against Chelsea. Pretentious twat. Hope Villa draw them in two cups.

That draws gotta happen. Terry will just refuse to play and it will be an injury cover up.

A non story.
  • If he's got a lot left in the tank, could be a decent signing but as others have said, despise him as a person.
  • Terry's booked an open topped bus for Friday, allegedly.
  • Just read his interview/ press conference.

“People see you in a way and put you in a bracket of ‘right, he’s an arsehole’ and they bracket you there.

“That’s not me. You grow up over the years as well and you live and learn as a human being and as a professional and a player."

If he said "I've done some bad things and I regret them and apologise profusely" that would be something. But he seems to acknowledge that's he's been an arsehole, while simultaneously complaining that people see him as such.
  • I wish a few of our ex-players would play against us.......