Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Berlin

I am going to Berlin in the summer (followed by Dresden and Prague) and wondered if anybody had been to De Unterwelten Museum, Gruselkabinett and Georg-von-Rauch Haus? Are they worth going to and if they are would they be of interest to two boys (11 & 13) who are adventurous and like alternative things?

Comments

• Love Berlin but have not visited those places.
  • Zoo is superb.
  • If you are doing museums you could take them to the banana bunker. It's a ww2 bunker that's now a museum and got its nickname because the East Germans used it for storing bunkers.. and later got used for raves which eventually got it closed down again. Anyway, the exhibits werent really worth going along to see, in my phillistine opinion, but two young lads might like the idea of having a wander around a building like that.
  • Stasi museum on frankfurter allee is excellent. As are the nights out.
  • Whenever someone starts a thread with a place, a town, a city I automatically think " shit. What's gone on there?"

World we bloody live in eh!
  • If you are doing museums you could take them to the banana bunker. It's a ww2 bunker that's now a museum and got its nickname because the East Germans used it for storing bunkers.. and later got used for raves which eventually got it closed down again. Anyway, the exhibits werent really worth going along to see, in my phillistine opinion, but two young lads might like the idea of having a wander around a building like that.

The bunker for storing 'bunkers'! Sounds right up their street though, ta. The Unterwelt museum is a tour of WW2 bunkers and tunnels used to move people from DDR but is apparently quite hard to get tickets for.

That was on the list as is the DDR museum.
  • Checkpoint Charlie museum is great although the checkpoint is disappointing. . Beware of eastern beggars in that area.
  • edited July 2017

If you are doing museums you could take them to the banana bunker. It's a ww2 bunker that's now a museum and got its nickname because the East Germans used it for storing bunkers.. and later got used for raves which eventually got it closed down again. Anyway, the exhibits werent really worth going along to see, in my phillistine opinion, but two young lads might like the idea of having a wander around a building like that.

The bunker for storing 'bunkers'! Sounds right up their street though, ta. The Unterwelt museum is a tour of WW2 bunkers and tunnels used to move people from DDR but is apparently quite hard to get tickets for.
    Didn't notice bananas had been changed to bunkers. Was also going to mention trying to get into the old Pan Am lounge just to say you've been in it although the young lads might get to see a little bit too much if they get on the terrace and notice the open air swimming pool near by and the naked swimmers. Soho House is another one if you can get in it. It's the old East German communist headquarters I believe (check that 'fact' out first in case I was told a load of bs when I was in there). Checkpoint Charlie just to say you've been there - mrs LTGTR trumps me on that one by telling everybody she crossed there when it was still a gateway to East Germany.
  • Don't know it as well as I should, given it's only 4 hours drive or train away, but in addition to all the above, the Jewish memorial by the Brandenburg gate is a must, if very sombre, and the Jewish museum is absolutely heart wrenching. Not sure if you will have the appetite for the museum especially in mid-August, but they are both highly impressive. The fact they exist, so centrally, is itself impressive. The Reichstag tour ("Britischer arkitekt") is something you must book in advance (on line). Sunday brunch in a Prenzlauer Berg cafe is quite the thing, although a lot of Berliners resent the way that area of East Berlin has been gentrified. There are also "beaches" and swimming pools on the River Spree if it gets too hot for anything else. We also liked Potsdamer Platz for the rash of new architecture there. Berlin is disciplined enough to say "ok, you wanna do some new stuff, bring it on, but you do it here, in Potsdamer Platz", which had previously been a no-man's land because the Wall went right across it

Berlin's traditional beer is weak gnats-piss although if it gets hot you can drink it like a radler. But there will for sure be some great new microbreweries to discover (we have just returned from the Northern coast, and they are brewing some formidable stuff up there. And anyway, you will get the proper stuff later on :-)

And just being there..trying to work out where the wall was, and marvelling that it now seems unimaginable. The clatter of the S-Bahn, still in its original livery ( no garish privatized bollocks for Berlin) ; the hint of its awesome power in the gold statues, contrasted with the liberal, even radical attitude of modern young Berliners. It is changing so fast too. Damn, I really should go there more often.

• Sponsored links:

• Something else you might want to be aware of if it's your first time there is about 3 years ago in a business trip I was booked into a very large tourist hotel where the wall between the bedroom and the bathroom was clear glass. That's only happened once to me on trips there but I saw a recent mention of glass bathroom walls in the times recently so either they were talking about the same place or it's not uncommon. And on another trip a couple we were travelling with had a walk in bathroom (no door, built that way, not just a missing door) and that was probably one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in around the world. Havent been to Berlin for well over a year now but last time it was still acceptable to smoke.
    If the old 1930s railway carriage is still there take the boys for a curried sausage at the airport on the way home, not for the food but just for something different for them to talk about.
  • Go on a bus tour, for 12 euros you can hop on and off all around the route, and it is valid for 24 hours.
  • Checkpoint Charlie museum is great although the checkpoint is disappointing. . Beware of eastern beggars in that area.

Missed that one, sounds right up their (heavily guarded) street.

Didn't notice bananas had been changed to bunkers. Was also going to mention trying to get into the old Pan Am lounge just to say you've been in it although the young lads might get to see a little bit too much if they get on the terrace and notice the open air swimming pool near by and the naked swimmers. Soho House is another one if you can get in it. It's the old East German communist headquarters I believe (check that 'fact' out first in case I was told a load of bs when I was in there). Checkpoint Charlie just to say you've been there - mrs LTGTR trumps me on that one by telling everybody she crossed there when it was still a gateway to East Germany.
    I knew you meant bananas and as for the nude sunbathers, it is me I have to worry about for that. I will check out Soho house and what it has to offer. Thanks.
  • Don't know it as well as I should, given it's only 4 hours drive or train away, but in addition to all the above, the Jewish memorial by the Brandenburg gate is a must, if very sombre, and the Jewish museum is absolutely heart wrenching. Not sure if you will have the appetite for the museum especially in mid-August, but they are both highly impressive. The fact they exist, so centrally, is itself impressive. The Reichstag tour ("Britischer arkitekt") is something you must book in advance (on line). Sunday brunch in a Prenzlauer Berg cafe is quite the thing, although a lot of Berliners resent the way that area of East Berlin has been gentrified. There are also "beaches" and swimming pools on the River Spree if it gets too hot for anything else. We also liked Potsdamer Platz for the rash of new architecture there. Berlin is disciplined enough to say "ok, you wanna do some new stuff, bring it on, but you do it here, in Potsdamer Platz", which had previously been a no-man's land because the Wall went right across it

Berlin's traditional beer is weak gnats-piss although if it gets hot you can drink it like a radler. But there will for sure be some great new microbreweries to discover (we have just returned from the Northern coast, and they are brewing some formidable stuff up there. And anyway, you will get the proper stuff later on :-)

And just being there..trying to work out where the wall was, and marvelling that it now seems unimaginable. The clatter of the S-Bahn, still in its original livery ( no garish privatized bollocks for Berlin) ; the hint of its awesome power in the gold statues, contrasted with the liberal, even radical attitude of modern young Berliners. It is changing so fast too. Damn, I really should go there more often.

Jewish museum is highly probable, we have discussed the holocaust with the kids and they are aware of their roots but debating whether it is too much at once as they have had discussions but not seen images.

Actually beer is important and anybody who can tell me the names of a good session litre will have a drink raised to them and have one left in the barrel, honest.

Checkpoint Charlie is well worth the visit.

A day in Kreuzberg is worth considering if you have the time, the street art is interesting, the Jewish museum is worth a visit, i also visited a park in Kreuzberg that was rather nice, there was also a Turkish market which might or might not be still there.

The Nightlife is good as well.
  • Artemis...
  • WSS said:

Artemis...

Beer, nightclub, nudist beach, museum?
  • Off for a long weekend (on my own) in a couple of weeks.  Read a few tips on here of what to see/where to go...but added here back in 2017.  Has anyone been more recently...any other suggestions for do's and don'ts.  Thanks in advance.
  • edited June 2022
    You must visit Berghain and The KitKat Klub.😉
    Berghain is hailed as the best club in the world and opens at 10pm on a Friday and you can stay in there until 7am on the following Tuesday, the bouncer is legendary and decides who enters, he has famously turned away Britney Spears and Conan O’Brien.
    One of my favourite cities, just back from playing in the Funkhaus, another amazing venue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Artemis...
    Beer, nightclub, nudist beach, museum?
    Sounds like the place has got the lot.
  • edited June 2022
    I highly highly recommend the Hohenschonhausen museum in the North eastern Lichtenberg district (i.e. its not immediately in the centre, but a S-Bahn ride away).

Probably the best museum I've ever been to. It's the prison where they kept political prisoners during the DDR days. You might recognise it from the film The Lives of Others.

They do English tours, run by people who were themselves held prisoners there. Some of the stories of how they were transported there (in vans disguised as milk floats) and the things that happened were absolutely fascinating. 

• Billy_Mix said:
    Took my breath away
    I opened this thread wondering if it might be related to the new film.
    The DDR Museum is fantastic. Reckon the boys will really enjoy that.

Not been to the ones you mentioned but have heard good things about De Unterwelten Museum.

It's a great and fascinating city - hope you enjoy it!
  • Book Fleisherei (spelling) for dinner mate. Grilled meat in an old Austrian butcher's shop.
  • CafcWest said:
    Off for a long weekend (on my own) in a couple of weeks.  Read a few tips on here of what to see/where to go...but added here back in 2017.  Has anyone been more recently...any other suggestions for do's and don'ts.  Thanks in advance.
    Where are you actually staying? 
  • Mr. Happy said:
    Stasi museum on frankfurter allee is excellent. As are the nights out.
    The DDR Museum is fantastic. Reckon the boys will really enjoy that.

Not been to the ones you mentioned but have heard good things about De Unterwelten Museum.

It's a great and fascinating city - hope you enjoy it!
    We did enjoy the DDR museum as went 5 years ago when thread started it. It is kinda weird reliving a great holiday - normally my threads just die...