Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do you pronounce Charlton?

Prompted by some interesting posts by - among others - @Baldybonce and @iainment on @AFKABartram 's "Amazing Grace" thread, I wondered if anyone could produce the definitive pronunciation of "Charlton" in type.

Lots of people - northerners, usually - make an effort to pronounce it, but get it horribly wrong. I wince every time I hear "Charton" or worse still "Chorlton".

It's obviously not "Charlton", because, frankly, why would anyone ever bother with the "t"? And the ending isn't "...on", it's more "...ern", isn't it?

For me, there are two ways:

- The two-syllable version, which is "Chow'ern" (where "chow" is a bit like the word "foal").
- And the three-syllable pronunciation "Chee-ow'ern".

Anyone got any better means of expressing it, in type?

Comments

• Charl-lun
  • In Kent we say it proper. That includes pronouncing the t.

Well "i" wouldn't make sense :wink:
  • se9addick said:

In Kent we say it proper. That includes pronouncing the t.

Irrelevant, Charlton isn't in Kent, you might as well tell us how they pronounce it in Botswana.
    Might have to get the CL "this place is/isn't in Kent/London" correspondent, @Henry Irving to adjudicate on this.
  • Or Charton if you heard me once in the Athur Waite aged about 16 starting up the Give us a C chant and being so paranoid about forgetting to do the deeper sounding T that I left out L all together.
  • edited July 2017
    I say it without a T and with a bit of a W and finish it of with an UN, my son pronounces it correctly.
  • Chizz said:

se9addick said:

Irrelevant, Charlton isn't in Kent, you might as well tell us how they pronounce it in Botswana.
    Might have to get the CL "this place is/isn't in Kent/London" correspondent, @Henry Irving to adjudicate on this.
    Brum-lee or Brom-lee
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Or Charton if you heard me once in the Athur Waite aged about 16 starting up the Give us a C chant and being so paranoid about forgetting to do the deeper sounding T that I left out L all together.

Was that you?
  • edited July 2017
    Every Sarf Lunderner knows it's chowtern
  • Cheltenham according to some people when they ask who I support.
  • Ffs @Nicholas what possessed you to open this thread you bloody idiot.
  • About 30 years ago in Thailand a local asked me what team I supported. I tried hard to make him understand Charlton but he kept saying Chelsea. Probably the worst pronunciation I've ever heard but understandable considering my accent.
  • Roland or cnut.
  • Sponsored links:

• Doesn't matter how I pronounce Charlton, everyone seems to think I support Chelsea.
  • Doesn't matter how I pronounce Charlton, everyone seems to think I support Chelsea.

Stop going around whistling Blue is the Colour then.
  • Chultun

and there's no such place as Victoria way. It's Vicky way.
  • Chowt-on
  • Chaww ernnnn
  • edited July 2017
    se9addick said:

it used to be (why Kent CCC used to play at the The Rectory Field). My parents were married at St. John's Church, Blackheath in the County of Kent.
  • J BLOCK said:

Chaww ernnnn

only if you're halfway through having a wisdom tooth removed.
  • Ciao'n
  • For me, it all depends on the state of play.

For instance, if we've just conceded a goal, I normally pronounce it, Wan Kers.