Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nissan Micra or Toyota Yaris?

For her 21st birthday i intend to buy my daughter a car - something small and economic and obviously reliable. Due to my past experience of cars , i am against buying anything French or Italian.
Anybody had any experience of the Micra or Yaris, or maybe suggest another that might be of interest?

Comments

• edited July 2017
    Yaris is decent but perhaps a bit boring. Don't like the Micra at all. Have a look at the Mazda 2 - v nice car. Also the VW Fox or Pool. We have a new clio as a second car and it's v good.
  • edited July 2017
    I've been test driving the Micra this week. I don't like the 0.9 turbo petrol engine (you have to overly rev it in low gears) but the diesel option is pretty decent. The new Micra's styling is better than the old 'granny car' design but it's also a lot more expensive than its previous incarnation.
    I don't think I've driven the Yaris but if I was thinking about a car for 21 year old I'd have a look at a Peugeot 108 or 208 and see how much their just add fuel deal works out as the insurance and servicing is included and tends to be heavily discounted.

Edit - Just read your post properly - You can discount the Peugeot then :smiley:
  • Lol. yeah refuse to buy any French after my experiences with them.
    Mazda 2 looks like it could be a possibility.
    I forgot to mention, this is for my daughter who lives in South Africa.(dont seem to do a Mazda 1 in SA for some reason)
  • Not driven either, but from reading a yaris won't be beaten for reliability. I personally don't like the micra. Ford ka or fiesta would be a cheap reliable option alongside the yaris.
  • edited July 2017
  • edited July 2017
    Ever thought about a Vauxhall Corsa?
  • Lol. yeah refuse to buy any French after my experiences with them.
    I forgot to mention, this is for my daughter who lives in South Africa.(dont seem to do a Mazda 1 in SA for some reason)

I think I asked you before but where in SA does your daughter live...just interested as I have family in SA.
  • edited July 2017

Ever thought about a Vauxhall Corsa?

Yuk !
    My daughter doesnt like pushing cars.
  • edited July 2017

Lol. yeah refuse to buy any French after my experiences with them.

I think I asked you before but where in SA does your daughter live...just interested as I have family in SA.
    Yes you did Hastings and i did answer before. Your family live in Marina de Gama (then again,you probably know that!), and my daughter lives in Bergvliet, just up the M3- probably about 5 miles away. Thats Cape Town btw if people are confused.
  • Mrs Plum had a Micra from new for 14 years. The Engine is unbreakable and always started. Not a great car to actually drive I thought.
    Now a Ford Fiesta is another story.
  • Sponsored links:

• SexyDave said:

Not driven either, but from reading a yaris won't be beaten for reliability. I personally don't like the micra. Ford ka or fiesta would be a cheap reliable option alongside the yaris.

Wouldn't advise on a KA, they rust easily underneath and due to poor design can't be welded up. Consequently don't hold their value very well.

Fiestas though are another matter. Can't go wrong there.
  • edited July 2017
    Micra is absolutely terrible to drive. My mum sister and girlfriend have all had the 1 litre version and it was shocking. Takes about 15 mins to get from 50 to 70 though once it gets there it does go alright (Well better than you expect). I did manage to get to 100 a couple times in both. Overall pretty shocking although none of then had a single problem with them.
  • Micra is absolutely terrible to drive. My mum sister and girlfriend have all had the 1 litre version and it was shocking. Takes about 15 mins to get from 50 to 70 though once it gets there it does go alright (Well better than you expect). I did manage to get to 100 a couple times in both. Overall pretty shocking although none of then had a single problem with them.

tbh Canters, seeing its got no poke is probably a plus point for me considering its for my daughter !
  • Micra is absolutely terrible to drive. My mum sister and girlfriend have all had the 1 litre version and it was shocking. Takes about 15 mins to get from 50 to 70 though once it gets there it does go alright (Well better than you expect). I did manage to get to 100 a couple times in both. Overall pretty shocking although none of then had a single problem with them.

tbh Canters, seeing its got no poke is probably a plus point for me considering its for my daughter !
    I see your point. But as a new driver my girlfriend found it scary getting on a motorway and the car taking ages to match everyone else's speed. Two ways of looking at it...

I see your point. But as a new driver my girlfriend found it scary getting on a motorway and the car taking ages to match everyone else's speed. Two ways of looking at it...
    Having said that pretty much every car of the type you are looking at will have a similar problem...
  • After being in a car with my daughter driving, i'm going to have it motorway-restricted !
  • edited July 2017
    I had a Yaris for about 7 years and it was great - never broke down or gave me any trouble at all.

It was a really well designed car that was comfortable and dead easy to drive. The only thing going against it was that it was the complete opposite of a fanny magnet ;-)
  • Are you buying it in SA? Do they ha e all the card we have in the UK?

Ex mother in law had a newish Ford Fiesta. Nice car if a bit basic even towards the top end.

Saw a new ford ka+ the other day and it looked fantastic.

I've not owned a ford but their small cars are currently very well rated.

Learnt to drive in a micra, my dad's missus instructs driving in one, she hates it.

Mum has a Yaris, really nice car.
  • I drive a 5 year old automatic yaris for my parents who have now had to give up driving. Got nothing to compare it with but have had no problems with it. Only thing I don't like is poor visibility due to the thick frames round windows but I think thats common to all modern cars.
  • It's been linked here in other car threads, but this one is pretty good and comprehensive. Have you considered Hyundai i10 too, @The_President? I've heard good things about them, and we hired one for a couple of weeks recently and it was fine.

https://honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm approaching a similar stage with my son, I'm thinking small personnel carrieror or something equally solid, vw polo or similar if they are any good, he thinks Lambo.
  • New 700hp Bentley sounds decent.
  • Had an Aygo and Yaris. Nothing spectacular but completely reliable. In the 12 years I've driven toyotas ive only ever had to replace one tyre.
  • Are you buying it in SA? Do they ha e all the card we have in the UK?

Ex mother in law had a newish Ford Fiesta. Nice car if a bit basic even towards the top end.

Saw a new ford ka+ the other day and it looked fantastic.

I've not owned a ford but their small cars are currently very well rated.

Learnt to drive in a micra, my dad's missus instructs driving in one, she hates it.

Mum has a Yaris, really nice car.

No, they dont have the same cars Neil, for example, Seat and Skoda are not present in SA - and models tend to be different too.
    The more i look at it , the more i think Yaris.
  • I'm approaching a similar stage with my son, I'm thinking small personnel carrieror or something equally solid, vw polo or similar if they are any good, he thinks Lambo.

Tell him he can have a Lambo as long as he pays for his own insurance.
  • IdleHans said:

It's been linked here in other car threads, but this one is pretty good and comprehensive. Have you considered Hyundai i10 too, @The_President? I've heard good things about them, and we hired one for a couple of weeks recently and it was fine.

https://honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/

Hmmmm, Honest John tells me the Mazda 2 doesnt have a spare tyre - just a puncture repair kit.! Cant imagie my daughter with a puncture repair kit tbh !
    So, thats crossed off then.
  • Stig said:

SexyDave said:

Not driven either, but from reading a yaris won't be beaten for reliability. I personally don't like the micra. Ford ka or fiesta would be a cheap reliable option alongside the yaris.

Wouldn't advise on a KA, they rust easily underneath and due to poor design can't be welded up. Consequently don't hold their value very well.

Fiestas though are another matter. Can't go wrong there.
    Fair enough, I don't know a great deal about KA's and I'm no mechanic but assumed they were pretty much a smaller Fiesta, and Ford's at the moment are pretty good. I have a Focus and it's been brilliant with no real issues.
  • I would go for a Toyota over the Nissan. I've not driven a Yaris but my wife had an Aygo which was pleasantly good to drive despite being only a 1.0 litre.
  • Mum's husband had an aygo and it was not good for him, bumpy ride, changed it as soon as he could for a golf.

Mum's Yaris is a top car.
  • Can't go wrong with Hyundai for value for money. The i10 has is the small one I believe