Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Selling a car

Have my late great uncle's car to sell (2006 VW Jetta, crazy low mileage of under 13,000) and wondered what people's thoughts were on the best sites to do so.
Just had a quick look at some fees and autotrader is £45.95 for a 3 week ad which seems quite excessive. Pistonheads is £11.99, ebay £14.99 for a classified ad.
I presume the autotrader fees are high as it's the most popular site?

Also, the car is SORN, has no MOT or insurance, so what do I do if someone understandably wants a test drive, just flat out say no?

Comments

• edited July 2017
    How much you want for it? - PM me if you dont want to say publicly.
  • edited July 2017
    Talal said:

Have my late great uncle's car to sell (2006 VW Jetta, crazy low mileage of under 13,000) and wondered what people's thoughts were on the best sites to do so.
    Just had a quick look at some fees and autotrader is £45.95 for a 3 week ad which seems quite excessive. Pistonheads is £11.99, ebay £14.99 for a classified ad.

Also, the car is SORN, has no MOT or insurance, so what do I do if someone understandably wants a test drive, just flat out say no?

Yes, just say no. If it's SORNed it has no tax so can only be taken to/from a PRE-BOOKED MOT appointment. SORNs are not transferable either. The vehicle becomes automatically un-SORNed on sale and must therefore be taxed, MOT'd and insured to be used on the road by its new owner.

It concerns me as to who is the current registered keeper. You say the previous owner is deceased. I think, you'd need to check whether the car is actually SORNed. Have you filled in section 6 and signed section 8 on the V5C and filled in a V890 Statutory Off Road Notification form? Otherwise I think the original SORN wouldn't apply. It might also have expired any way. You may have done all this, if so apologies. But I didn't want you to end up with a nice FPN from the DVLA.
  • cafcfan said:

Talal said:

Yes, just say no. If it's SORNed it has no tax so can only be taken to/from a PRE-BOOKED MOT appointment. SORNs are not transferable either. The vehicle becomes automatically un-SORNed on sale and must therefore be taxed, MOT'd and insured to be used on the road by its new owner.

It concerns me as to who is the current registered keeper. You say the previous owner is deceased. I think, you'd need to check whether the car is actually SORNed. Have you filled in section 6 and signed section 8 on the V5C and filled in a V890 Statutory Off Road Notification form? Otherwise I think the original SORN wouldn't apply. It might also have expired any way. You may have done all this, if so apologies. But I didn't want you to end up with a nice FPN from the DVLA.
    Thanks for the concern and info. We've notified the DVLA of his death but unfortunately couldn't find the log book. They've sent us a V62 form which any new owner will have to fill out to get a new V5C. As far as the original SORN is concerned I'm just assuming it's still in place as they haven't said otherwise during correspondence.
  • Talal said:

cafcfan said:

Talal said:

Thanks for the concern and info. We've notified the DVLA of his death but unfortunately couldn't find the log book. They've sent us a V62 form which any new owner will have to fill out to get a new V5C. As far as the original SORN is concerned I'm just assuming it's still in place as they haven't said otherwise during correspondence.
    I'm not sure. I'd check with them. I wouldn't assume anything with the DVLA. If the SORN is no longer valid, it'll need taxing. Of course, to get tax you need an MOT.
  • If it is good condition, I'd be inclined to get an MoT on it. You can put it on short term insurance, or the garage may collect it, and it will be worth a good deal more with a year's ticket.
  • cafcfan said:

Talal said:

cafcfan said:

Talal said:

I'm not sure. I'd check with them. I wouldn't assume anything with the DVLA. If the SORN is no longer valid, it'll need taxing. Of course, to get tax you need an MOT.
    Just checked online, still SORN.
  • IdleHans said:

If it is good condition, I'd be inclined to get an MoT on it. You can put it on short term insurance, or the garage may collect it, and it will be worth a good deal more with a year's ticket.

Will think about that thanks.
  • edited July 2017
    IdleHans said:

If it is good condition, I'd be inclined to get an MoT on it. You can put it on short term insurance, or the garage may collect it, and it will be worth a good deal more with a year's ticket.

If it's road worthy it can drive to an MOT test centre. nevermind You were referring to the insurance rather than driving without MOT