Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Arundel

Just on the off chance lads. Doing a two day cycle along the South Downs way. Winchester to Eastbourne I think. Stopping near arundel overnight on Saturday. 15 of us but there's one or two who like to wander off . It's festival of speed at goodwood as well. Is there anywhere that could be lively ? If you know what I mean. Someone with local knowledge maybe able to help.
COYA

Comments

• edited June 2017
    I go to the Arundel Cricket Festival every year which overlaps with the Goodwood event this year. Having stayed in Arundel several times, I wouldn't call it lively, although on Friday and Saturday nights the pubs are busy and people seem to knock back an above average number of beers. Tarrant Street has a couple of lively traditional pubs. If you're looking for clubs and the like you probably ought to head along to Brighton. There's also a nice riverside pub just out of the town called The Black Rabbit - but not lively!
  • Caught my first eel in the River Arun. We were staying on a campsite that backed onto it.
  • Stayed in the Swan in Arundel. Would agree that it's not the liveliest place but there are a few decent pubs. The breakfast at the Swan was by far the best I've ever had in a B&B and the room was decent value.
  • The Swan is fantastic, their food is spot on.
  • The Kings Arms is a friendly back street boozer in Tarrant Street
  • Just up the road in ford you have a decent pub called the Ship and Anchor, it is on a camp site, but the food is fantastic there too. (Sea Bass is often fresh)
  • If you get a chance, you must try this...
  • Pop into Worthing 20 mins away. Pubs and A couple of clubs. Seems pretty lively, my 24 year old manages to get in at 4am off his tits many weekends
  • Have to say, I wasn't aware of Arundel until 7-8 years ago. Went passed it for work, I mentioned to Mrs GA that I passed a place beginning with A that had a Cathedral. She said it was Arundel and you wouldn't know it, because it didn't have a football team. Went back there within a couple of weeks as we stayed in Fontwell for a break, then back again for a funeral as my dad's cousin had her funeral in the Cathedral and is bury in the grounds there.
  • Would definitely visit the castle if you ever get the chance. Very interesting and beautiful place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have to say, I wasn't aware of Arundel until 7-8 years ago. Went passed it for work, I mentioned to Mrs GA that I passed a place beginning with A that had a Cathedral. She said it was Arundel and you wouldn't know it, because it didn't have a football team. Went back there within a couple of weeks as we stayed in Fontwell for a break, then back again for a funeral as my dad's cousin had her funeral in the Cathedral and is bury in the grounds there.

Pretty sure the Mullets would have something to say to your Mrs.

They're a pretty standard small town side, playing in the Southern Combined Counties Premier Division.
  • I go to the Arundel Cricket Festival every year which overlaps with the Goodwood event this year. Having stayed in Arundel several times, I wouldn't call it lively, although on Friday and Saturday nights the pubs are busy and people seem to knock back an above average number of beers. Tarrant Street has a couple of lively traditional pubs. If you're looking for clubs and the like you probably ought to head along to Brighton. There's also a nice riverside pub just out of the town called The Black Rabbit - but not lively!

I would second The Black Rabbit - wonderful location by the Wild Fowl Trust and the food is very good.

Arundel is a lovely town but as others have said it's not exactly lively.
  • bobmunro said:

I go to the Arundel Cricket Festival every year which overlaps with the Goodwood event this year. Having stayed in Arundel several times, I wouldn't call it lively, although on Friday and Saturday nights the pubs are busy and people seem to knock back an above average number of beers. Tarrant Street has a couple of lively traditional pubs. If you're looking for clubs and the like you probably ought to head along to Brighton. There's also a nice riverside pub just out of the town called The Black Rabbit - but not lively!

I would second The Black Rabbit - wonderful location by the Wild Fowl Trust and the food is very good.

Is that the one a little further down the road alongside the river?
  • Dazzler21 said:

bobmunro said:

Is that the one a little further down the road alongside the river?
    Yes - it's a fair bit down, with the river on your right as you walk from the town.
  • I will third The Black Rabbit.

Arundel is a lovely place but as everyone has said it's not exactly lively. You definitely need to head into Brighton or Worthing which is closer for any nightlife though. However, it will cost a bit in taxi fares back to Arundel if you are having a late one, especially from Brighton.
  • That one is lovely too. I do like Arundel (especially the antique shops and Deli store)
  • Early night it is then.lol
  • Fastest running river in the country.
  • Nice place but makes Bexhill look like Las Vegas
  • Mark i just did Winchester to Ditchling Beacon today, i left at 6:30 and got to Ditchling 12 hrs later, i was going for the E2E, but was cattle trucked so got the train home from hassocks. Good luck after a night in Arundel