Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sunday lunch advice

Has anyone got any recommendations for decent Sunday lunch/carvery out in the Eltham area?
Thanks.

Comments

• There's Dolomiti? at five ways in New Eltham. I haven't been there but I know peeps who have and been quite impressed.
  • Dolimiti is very good. It's not a carvery though. It's an Italian Restaurant. Sort of place you can pretty much spend all Sunday afternoon, if you wish.
  • Thanks, but looking for traditional Sunday lunch on this occasion.
  • the white hart i think its called in the high street. carvery, done up recently. was nice when we went. not expensive either.
  • heard as many bad reviews as good re the white hart.
    never been disappointed with sunday lunch at sophies choice, though it's sidcup.
  • Agree with PBS, Sophies Choice (Station Road) does a mean Sunday roast - they're usually pretty popular though.
  • The Tudor Barn seems to have gone up in the world a bit.
    some good reviews at www. Toptable.com
  • Dont get to lunch too pi**** to eat it!
  • any recomendations for 11 of us ( 1 toddler ) next sunday, localish to bexleyheath did look at danson stables but you have to go up and order and the reviews look fooking terrible.

also tried locale in blackheath but fully booked.

cheers in advance.
  • www.themorganpubbelvedere.co.uk

have been a couple of times with big groups and pleasantly surprised, very good for kids
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2017
    Wouldn't let a horse eat in Danson Stables, haven't been in their in years, doesn't seem to improved.
  • The Tudor Barn is the best Sunday roast in the area by far. Admittedly the standard isn't that high locally but you get a good roast there - bit more expensive than other places but you get what you pay for and its a nice place to sit out if the weather is good. Have had plenty of lunches there and even organized a 50th there and everyone liked the food.

Comes with a massive firm thumbs up from me.
  • Yup. Agree re Tudor Barn.

I've personally never had a problem with White Hart.....but definitely not as good as Tudor Barn.
  • Both pubs in the Arsenal do a good roast also but a cab from Bexleyheath. And the beer is expensive. But I like them both.

I tell you where I enjoy going for a carvery and that's the Avenida in Welling. It's a great carvery, their lamb shanks are excellent. There is never a queue like the Toby, it's 10 quid and their cauliflower cheese is something else.

Okay so you might have stepped back in to the 80's as the music and décor hasn't changed since then (Luther Vandross still playing) but the service and value for money for the food is excellent.

• B have you ever eaten in the Red Lion shooters hill ? I popped in there for a pint the other night and the menu looks decent enough
  • Shag said:

B have you ever eaten in the Red Lion shooters hill ? I popped in there for a pint the other night and the menu looks decent enough

Not had the roast. I have seen it go past me (we go there a bit) and I hate to say it didn't look all that so haven't been tempted yet. Nice pub though.

• The White Heart is truly awful. Lovely staff but appalling food.

The Tudor Barn is nice. As has been said, it's pricey and you get a limited amount of food.

The Red Lion is hit and miss.

If you don't mind travelling a couple of miles then the Orange Tree in Wilmington beats all of the above hands down.
  • edited June 2017
    Please excuse me for changing the local area......but the best Sunday Lunch in North Kent is at The Knowle Country House in Higham.......east of Gravesend.
    Don't think they do them during the summer months because of wedding functions.......for which they are very well known.
    Great food.....a dessert trolley to die for......a reasonable wine list.....terrific country house surroundings all set in genteel quintessential English style.
    Recommend men to wear trousers with a belt to loosen and ladies something loose fitting. You'll come out fit to bust!
    Dress smart casual to feel at home with the venue.
    Booking essential.......as far ahead as possible!
    Visit their web site for further details.
  • If you fancy venturing out of Eltham...

The Castle at Eynsford do an awesome Sunday roast. Make sure you book a table in advance.

If you fancy London, try Toms Kitchen at Canary Wharf (we ate there last Sunday and the £18 roast was decent) or go the Narrow at Limehouse. Nice pub on the river, owned by Gordon Ramsay so a little more expensive at around £20-22 last time we went but also very good.

Or, if you can get a table, the Kentish Hare at Bidborough just outside Tunbridge Wells is one of our regular favourites now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Has anyone got any recommendations for decent Sunday lunch/carvery out in the Eltham area?
    Thanks.

Shame the Welcome Inn has gone.
  • Please excuse me for changing the local area......but the best Sunday Lunch in North Kent is at The Knowle Country House in Higham.......east of Gravesend.
    Don't think they do them during the summer months because of wedding functions.......for which they are very well known.
    Great food.....a desert trolley to die for......a reasonable wine list.....terrific country house surroundings all set in genteel quintessential English style.
    Recommend men to wear trousers with a belt to loosen and ladies something loose fitting. You'll come out fit to bust!
    Dress smart casual to feel at home with the venue.
    Booking essential.
    Visit their web site for further details.

Went to my nephews wedding there, fantastic food and a great venue (or it was then...2003)....now divorced though.
  • Has anyone got any recommendations for decent Sunday lunch/carvery out in the Eltham area?
    Thanks.

Shame the Welcome Inn has gone.
    Didn't it have horse shite plateau on the menu once?
  • edited June 2017

The White Heart is truly awful. Lovely staff but appalling food.

The Tudor Barn is nice. As has been said, it's pricey and you get a limited amount of food.

The Red Lion is hit and miss.

If you don't mind travelling a couple of miles then the Orange Tree in Wilmington beats all of the above hands down.

Full of Millwall when I last went in there (White Hart)....nice enough lads though, is the Chequers still there?
  • cheers all, was at the the black horse inn in thurnham the other week lovely and had a very good selection of drinks.
  • Simpsons in The Strand.......a once in a lifetime "special treat"......what more can one say!
    Just had a peak at their website and low and behold it's reopening some time next month (July 2017), after an extensive refurb that's taken an age and a fortune to complete.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

If you fancy venturing out of Eltham...

The Castle at Eynsford do an awesome Sunday roast. Make sure you book a table in advance.

If you fancy London, try Toms Kitchen at Canary Wharf (we ate there last Sunday and the £18 roast was decent) or go the Narrow at Limehouse. Nice pub on the river, owned by Gordon Ramsay so a little more expensive at around £20-22 last time we went but also very good.

Or, if you can get a table, the Kentish Hare at Bidborough just outside Tunbridge Wells is one of our regular favourites now.

The Poacher and Partridge in Tudeley, nr Tonbridge is also very nice.
  • Curb_it.......have you been to The Knowle for Sunday lunch?
    I saw you gave my post a 'like' so I was wondering if you had?
  • Fighting Cocks in Horton Kirby is good for a roast, massive garden as well.
  • Curb_it.......have you been to The Knowle for Sunday lunch?
    I saw you gave my post a 'like' so I was wondering if you had?

No but been to a fair few weddings and the food was always excellent.