Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Frank Lampard - Oxford Manager?

In talks apparently.

Bit left field that one

Comments

• Chelsea B, plenty of youngsters to loan.
  • I imagine that of his generation, he'd be quite good as a manager
  • I imagine that of his generation, he'd be quite good as a manager

Not sure. Got a great work ethic but looks more like he's suited for punditry
  • Guess where Da Silva will go?
  • No way

Was there last week, rained a lot
  • I can see nothing but spectacular failure from this one
  • Or as they will now be known "Frank Lampard's Oxford United"

I bet the press gantry will be packed when we play Oxford

• Swisdom said:

I can see nothing but spectacular failure from this one

Why's that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Why's that?
    The best players rarely make the best managers. Lampard was a brilliant player but not so sure he'll make the transition without a lot of help from his dad, uncle 'Arry and maybe even Chelsea. They may not oblige, Frank may not want to ask for their help. Nobody knows. But watching him as a pundit I'm not convinced he has the tactical nous as someone like G Nev and he's failed to make the step into management.
  • Yes. Because he's still lampard and I still don't think he's going to make it.
  • I hope he does well there if he gets the job.
  • Frank Lampard was a great player working with very good managers at Chelsea in particular.

He always seemed to me to read the game well in his position.

Whether he has the full understanding required to make it as a top level manager, well he needs to earn that.
  • Think Frank would be a good manager. Going to Oxford shows he's got the right attitude for a start. Not like Giggs hanging on for a prem job that won't come.
  • Credit to Frank for having a go, but the problem that top class players like him have in the lower leagues, is unrealistic expectations of players abilities etc.

Whilst for all his career he has been playing with top class players, who could play different positions, change systems and operate different tactics, the players at a lower level will lack that skill set.

Consequently I have always felt that to get out of Div 1 & 2, is all about physicality, hard work and maximising what you are good at (set pieces etc).

If you try and get out playing pretty football, it can go very wrong, very quickly.
  • Got clusterfuck written all over it, managing in the lower leagues is very different to doing it in the Premier League.

The only way you could really see this working is if the owners chucked a whole lot of cash at him and they basically bought their way out of the league.

If they have the same resources as the other teams then hard to see how Lampard brings much to the table that will be of much use.

Gary Neville got found out very quickly when he went into management and Lampard would probably get found out in very similar fashion.

It's to be applauded that he is not getting a Premier League job immediately at the likes of Watford or WBA and is starting down the ladder but that doesn't make his task any easier.

Part of the problem is knowing the players, love or hate Karl Robinson but he could probably give you chapter and verse on every player in L1 and L2 - Lampard would probably struggle to name six players in the two leagues.
  • Agree with the posts above, credit for giving it a go (if it happens) as I always thought he would get a job managing the Chelsea youth team.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think he will be a good manager, having a father in management he must have at least taken some knowledge in. As long as he hasn't learn to much from uncle Harry he should be ok
  • On a separate note Im going to be interested to see how Crawley get on this term with Harry Kewell.

At the same time though I dont know the standard of their squad / budget / expectations though so he could look a right flop for unfair reasons
  • one of my favourite players of his generation seemed like a nice bloke aswel, i see a few oxford fans writing them off without appleton.
  • Swisdom said:

Yes. Because he's still lampard and I still don't think he's going to make it.

He's no Karel Fraeye.
  • Credit to Frank for having a go, but the problem that top class players like him have in the lower leagues, is unrealistic expectations of players abilities etc.

Whilst for all his career he has been playing with top class players, who could play different positions, change systems and operate different tactics, the players at a lower level will lack that skill set.

Consequently I have always felt that to get out of Div 1 & 2, is all about physicality, hard work and maximising what you are good at (set pieces etc).

If you try and get out playing pretty football, it can go very wrong, very quickly.

Is that the case? I've been really impressed with the quality of football played in L1, and not just by the bigger teams.

And Lampard played under Mourinho for a few years, a man not interested in fancy football, but getting results...
  • Swisdom said:

Yes. Because he's still lampard and I still don't think he's going to make it.

He's no Karel Fraeye.
    In that case, he should do quite well then?
  • Lampard started under a lot of scrutiny due to having a famous uncle in Harry Redknapp and had to work really hard to step away from the judgement that he was a pro footballer due to the fact he had relatives in high places! Hopefully he hasn't lost that mentality of working hard to create his own legacy! Also there is nothing wrong with giving young British coaches a go, regardless of there playing days.
  • Good for him, about time a few more of high profile ex players (e.g. Ryan Giggs) realised they've proved nothing in management and accepted posts outside the Premier League to get their careers started.

Ye but Ryan Giggs is always after something he shouldn't really be going for... e.g his brother's wife for 8 years.
  • One thing that I always liked with Lampard was his attitude. Always 100% and widely recognised at every club he was at as being the most dedicated trainer. Good network around him in terms of dad / uncle. No idea how he would carry himself either taking sessions or being statesmanlike, but think he would have a chance tbh
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Why's that?
    The best players rarely make the best managers. Lampard was a brilliant player but not so sure he'll make the transition without a lot of help from his dad, uncle 'Arry and maybe even Chelsea. They may not oblige, Frank may not want to ask for their help. Nobody knows. But watching him as a pundit I'm not convinced he has the tactical nous as someone like G Nev and he's failed to make the step into management.
    He may struggle to make much impact at Oxford......but he has to start somewhere and cut his teeth so to speak.
    I dare say he could have found himself a club with a far bigger profile but sensibly has chosen a tough challenge but with smaller expectations.
    Good luck to the bloke.....I like him.
    He has many attributes which will serve him well.....but the most important one 'man management' is yet to be known.