Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Returning to Golf.

Way back I was a pretty decent golfist, county standard scratch events , playing in Europe and all that, the dream for a while was going pro, anyway fast forward and for ten years I haven't played, illness. Then around the turn of the year I was talked into going to the range. So I now find myself thinking about 9 holes, next Wednesday is the day a couple of good friends are taking me out, buggies much needed and might only manage a few, but here goes, although I'm up north if you hear a faint shout of fore I apologise.

Comments

• Good luck mate... Its all about baby steps but getting back into something you've not done for ages is great fun and certainly leaves you feeling good about yourself for sure!!
  • Well done. Just ease your way back in.

One of my best buddies had a heart attack 18 months ago whilst racing his Time Trial bike. He felt unwell, got off the bike and slumped against the side of the car. Had a passing car not seen he was in trouble, its likely he wouldn't be here now.

He had to have 9 months off but he's been working hard last 6 months or so since being allowed to train again and has been back racing for the last 3 months and is getting better results now than he was before despite taking it easy.
  • Good luck and enjoy. I'd go out of my mind if I couldn't play golf
  • Good luck, enjoy yourself. Just remember you might play the odd good shot like you used to but it is like starting from beginner level again. From experience i didnt play for 10 years + and came back and still hit the odd shot but not as good, although mine might be as was when i was young 5-6 to 18 adult and not really played consistent enough where i used to have lessons. Let us know how you get on
  • Hi, I'm under no illusions, I started at 10 played/practiced as much as could, I now consider myself a beginner, thanks to my brain injury nothing works as it should, I used to think I was Els and now I'm more drunk grasshopper, my target is a par and a nice day.
  • Haven't played once since September last year. Got an annual tournament coming up in June and this year is at the Belfry, so I guess I better get the bats out at some point. Pray for Leroy....
  • How is it going @jonseventyfive ? I can only dream of ever being as good as you once were. I've worked my nuts off in the concentration stakes and short game (pitching/chipping) focus over the past three months and have gone from 12.7 to 9.3 - first time ever a single figure golfer, but I doubt I can go much lower as I just don't get the time to practise. I love the game dearly but my missus is losing the will to live if I play any more! @northstandsteve @Duck-Killer Brown Should we get another Charlton Life golf day organised?!
  • Such a tough game. I've only really played properly since I gave up working (5 years) and have got myself down to 13. My big problem is concentration. I've been on a good run of late in competitions but let it go mentally on Sunday - a couple of bad bounces with the wrong spin early on and I didn't have the will to fight back - 21 points ensued.

Anyone like jonseventyfive who consistently plays around par has my full admiration. I can now break 80 reasonably regularly but it knackers me mentally.
  • Hope all goes well Jon and you continue to recover.
    I sometimes like to boast that I used to play of 11 and then some smart Alex tells me he played of scratch: ). That really is impressive.
    All the best with your recovery mate.
  • Such a tough game. I've only really played properly since I gave up working (5 years) and have got myself down to 13. My big problem is concentration. I've been on a good run of late in competitions but let it go mentally on Sunday - a couple of bad bounces with the wrong spin early on and I didn't have the will to fight back - 21 points ensued.

Anyone like jonseventyfive who consistently plays around par has my full admiration. I can now break 80 reasonably regularly but it knackers me mentally.

If you regularly break 80 @charente addick you SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING OFF 13 you bandit :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:

Such a tough game. I've only really played properly since I gave up working (5 years) and have got myself down to 13. My big problem is concentration. I've been on a good run of late in competitions but let it go mentally on Sunday - a couple of bad bounces with the wrong spin early on and I didn't have the will to fight back - 21 points ensued.

If you regularly break 80 @charente addick you SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING OFF 13 you bandit :-)
    I did say 'reasonably' regularly, in reality it's probably only one Round in 7 or 8, most are low 80s (except yesterday's horror show). But, yes, let's say there seems to be a lag, when you're improving, of your handicap catching up with your ability. Most of the better players I play with or against seem to think anywhere from 9 to 11 is more realistic for me.

But, in my defence, I've come into the game relatively late in life and very little comes naturally to me. My wife will attest, in not a very nice manner, to the time I spend working on my game!

Anyway, I'd be up for a Charlton Life Golf Day (as long as I can partner jonseventyfive ;-))

• Don't go back, a lot of lads got shot at out there.
  • edited June 2017
    I really got the golf bug after I had to stop playing football due to a knee injury in 2005.

Joined Woodlands Manor near West Kingsdown, and got really stuck into the game. Big club culture there, with lots of comps etc etc. Got myself down to 12 handicap (heaven knows how), however in 2013 my game fell apart.

Started with the putting yips, then I started hooking it with my driver (dangerously so for other golfers). Final straw was when every wedge shot to the green I was hitting was getting thinned all over the place (chipping was a pretty strong part of my game). I ended up driving to the course on a Saturday morning thinking 'I'm about to spend 4/5 hours being really pissed off'.

So I just stopped playing in early 2014 - didn't miss it at all.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I went on a weekend golf trip with some work mates to Bowood. No pressure, no swindle handicap tosh, no blowing my handicap in a medal after 4 holes (we've all been there !!) - just fun and laughter and enjoyment, with some beers chucked in afterwards and some silly prizes on the 2nd day.

So I'm going to start playing again, but I'm not going to get sucked into club membership or having a registered handicap etc etc - just play for fun with mates at different courses and enjoy it.

For me, I took the game far too seriously, and, on the back of some good competition results, my handicap went down far too low for my ability. I thought that I was a 12 handicapper, and chased trying to stay there - it got into my head and I just ended an 'angry golfer' who was horrible to play a round with (flying clubs, swearing etc - I once even wrote NR on my scorecard in a medal before I had tee'd off on the first !!)

Golf is a difficult game - just enjoy it and have a laugh - there will always be a least one shot in a round which makes it worthwhile !!!
  • I used to scream and shout which seriously affected my game. I then realized that I was never going to be any good and now just enjoy a laugh, the walk looking for golf balls, and the very rare occasional brilliant shots. Keep it real Tiger. I'm afraid now I have to use a buggy to get around a course due to my dodgy knee.
    But a fantastic game and I'm looking forward to my retirement when the exercise will do me good.
  • I have been playing most mondays, only 9 holes (all par 3, bar 1). Week in week out i have been playing better and gradually getting my score down. I was mid 50's (Par 28) now i am usually below 45, however... Last Monday was the best i played off the tee and deserved better than 42 if i had made a couple standard putts.
    Fast forward this week i literally forgot how to play completely, i am not sure why or whether i was too stressed to play. i ended up with 3 10's in my round and 60 overall, even went to the pub for some lunch and went driving range after with the same people and i just couldn't hit the thing.

Back to basics, usually i dont get frustrated at all but yesterday i was borderline nearly throwing my clubs. hopefully next weeks will be a bit better, in my head i am normally not as affected by the poor shots as its to be expected. But how i played yesterday was so bad i wont be able to put up with that again, just when i was looking forward to getting a 18 in soon. Small setback
  • used to play quite a bit, was a semi decent 16-18 handicapper on my day. However haven't struck a ball since my 40th nearly 3 years ago at the Belfry, first having a hernia op and then 2 kids close together.

just don't get the time to play anymore and the corporate days have totally dried up (used to get a good 6-8 a year).

just been invited on one now in 2 weeks time, I know I won't have a chance to get to the range, so it will literally be off of the 1st tee with my eyes closed!...thankfully it's a very relaxed day of just pub golfers and nothing too serious.

love the game though and always get the itch to play after watching a 'major' on the TV.
  • What ever standard we are it's a nice way to spend some time, you can probably guess I haven't managed to complete 9 yet, everything aches even with help warming up correctly, I've become interested in the disabled golf association and at 49 even if it takes time I'm going to carry on, the maybe unrealistic aim is single figure handicap, lol. Still Rome wasn't built in a day and I really was written off 9 years ago, so bring it on and if anyone says it might be tricky stuff em.
    I sometimes like to boast that I used to play of 11 and then some smart Alex tells me he played of scratch: ). That really is impressive.

Thank you, llyods showing some life would impress me.

Thank you, llyods showing some life would impress me.
    Yes mate they seem to have gone a bit flat at the moment, unlike my stomach: (

• Funny enough when I played good golf I was 18 stone plus, now I'm 14 I'm dreadful, how ironic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Funny enough when I played good golf I was 18 stone plus, now I'm 14 I'm dreadful, how ironic.

You probably need to adjust your swing a little. I found the same when I dropped down. You will be able to generate more shoulder and hip speed. Just need to make sure your arms are in sync.
  • Sound advice atu, sadly there's a whole lot more going on in this box of frogs.
  • Sound advice atu, sadly there's a whole lot more going on in this box of frogs.

Once more Jon good luck with your recovery and all the best mate

Once more Jon good luck with your recovery and all the best mate
    It has been a journey (strange term) but onwards and upwards whatever that means, cheers.
  • Please keep us advised on how you're getting on Jon, would be great to hear your progress towards your former form.

As all golfers know, there will be bumps on the road, accept them as part of the process.
  • My neurologist laughingly has said there's a story in me, but to be honest I meet plenty of people less fortunate than myself every week, I will update the golf stuff from time to time, and tbh it's quite helpful.
  • @jonseventyfive I hope you continue to improve and get back towards your previous handicap. I used to play all the time (3 x a week) got down to a reasonable 16 h'cap. But, firstly unemployment, then a new job, then my heart condition, means I've not played since 2013. With my new job now I'm more out of the country than in it, but whilst in Delhi a month or so ago, the hotel had an indoor 'digital' driving range. You use proper clubs and hit a proper ball towards a cotton type screen with a golf hole on it, or an image of a driving range. It felt strange hitting a ball again, and if I'm honest I guess I would be about a 24/26 h'capper the way I was hitting (or not) the ball. However it has fired me up to play again, and I'm off to the local driving range when I get back from China (where I currently am). I'm a little wary of going on a course, but hope to venture out sometime in September just to see how it goes, but I'll have to use a buggy I guess.
    Good luck with your on-going recovery.
  • Thanks RM and good luck to you also, with the inevitable little setbacks it just gives me another thing to blame Roly for.
  • Well the bats made it to the range again today, after the inevitable niggles, concentrated on hitting easy 7 irons with 150yds the target , this used to be a flick with a short club but now full concentration with most straight but just short, happily only 1 complete duff and some even out the sweet spot, so overall encouraged and happy to accept the aches tomorrow.