Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Light My Fire

Two versions of the same song. Listen without prejudice and say which you prefer why.

This week two versions of the same song from the same era. The Doors psychedelic 1967 original or the Jose Feliciano latin pop cover from the following year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deB_u-to-IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nSz_eyfb4w

Comments

• Ah c'mon Henners, absolutely no contest, The Lizard King. FWIW I had a nice chat with him when I was in Paris just before Xmas, my hotel was next to Père Lachaise Cemetery, so I had a little pilgrimage to his grave.
  • Sorry Henry, but you've really screwed up this time. There is no comparrison between the 2. The original all day long, twice on a sunday, and not even worth listening to the "flamenco rock" version.
  • Sorry Henry, but you've really screwed up this time. There is no comparrison between the 2. The original all day long, twice on a sunday, and not even worth listening to the "flamenco rock" version.

So much for "listen without prejudice"
  • I can't see this being close, Flamenco Rock The Doors...

Lol, FWIW these are still my fav close season threads, keep em coming.
  • Greenie said:

Sorry Henry, but you've really screwed up this time. There is no comparrison between the 2. The original all day long, twice on a sunday, and not even worth listening to the "flamenco rock" version.

Lol, FWIW these are still my fav close season threads, keep em coming.
    Why only the close season? !!!!

• Can only be The Doors. Greatest ever band.
  • What about the Will Young version?
  • That second one was absolutely dreadful. Absolute butchery of a classic song. No contest: Ray Manzarek all day long.
  • I gave it a chance... dude sounds like Rodriguez... but... nah...

Doors all day long
  • Sponsored links:

• The Take That version.
  • bunch of philistines.

Going to do a lot more Jose covers now until you all realise his genius. California Dreaming is tops.
  • I think The Doors are brilliant, so my vote goes to them, but I do like Jose Feliciano and agree with Henry on California Dreaming
  • bunch of philistines.

Going to do a lot more Jose covers now until you all realise his genius. California Dreaming is tops.

I've never liked him. But that's because as a Doors fan I was incensed that he, or anyone come to that, should cover a Doors song.
    I have mellowed about this and like many covers of Doors songs but still don't like Joses voice.
  • Easiest one yet, The Doors by a mile
  • iainment said:

bunch of philistines.

I've never liked him. But that's because as a Doors fan I was incensed that he, or anyone come to that, should cover a Doors song.
    I have mellowed about this and like many covers of Doors songs but still don't like Joses voice.
    Every rock n roll band MUST cover Roadhouse Blues......its a music law.
  • I quite like that Jose Feliciano version actually, I'm more in the middle than most here
  • Greenie said:

iainment said:

bunch of philistines.

Every rock n roll band MUST cover Roadhouse Blues......its a music law.
    I didn't think so then. Now, of course.
  • I quite like that Jose Feliciano version actually, I'm more in the middle than most here

Because you have an open mind
  • cafctom said:

What about the Will Young version?

Jose Feliciano's does sound a bit like Will Young's in places...
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

Just watched the video on youtube.

Will young deffo covering Jose not Jim.

That video is wierd trying to look like an Andy Warhol video with Edie Sedgewick.
  • edited June 2017
    Funnily enough I bought both of these.
    There was a period around the time of these releases when Rock ruled the roost and a few artists from other genres thought the way to increase their audience was to be open to this new 'group' phenomena. I believe Otis Redding did a Stones song (Satisfaction) as one example, even Dylan linking up with the Band was in this ballpark.
    Jose Feliciano was a huge talent in what was then a minority musical field, Latin. We had 'la Bamba' and 'The Girl From Ipanena' and around this time Santana were getting started. (Indeed Santana covered a Peter Green Fleetwood Mac song). In this context I see Feliciano attempting to introduce a new musical style to people who maybe hadn't considered it much, being mainly into Rock and would like something familiar. Music in America has always been a glorious melting pot, so in that context I don't see the Feliciano cover as exploitative so much as a creative experiment. His version also showcased the artist as handy on the guitar and musically generally impressive. There are elements of the orchestration in the Jose Feliciano version that sound to me like they influenced some of the the production values of Astral Weeks (1968). Personally I think the Feliciano version is very good.
    But.
    The Doors version is so iconic, and so identifiable that is isn't open to that many covers unless you re-direct it as Feliciano has done. In this instance clearly The Doors version is the winner, mainly because it is what it is. However I don't see Jose Feliciano's version as being poor, or a desperate copy, simply different. But the original, with that Manzarek organ playing woven through it is excellent. Easy to forget the refreshing impact of the Doors sound when they first appeared as there have been sub sets of their sound ever since.
  • Amii Stewart's disco version is my favourite.

• Mike Flowers version is also very good.
  • cafctom said:

Just watched the video on youtube.

Will young deffo covering Jose not Jim.

That video is wierd trying to look like an Andy Warhol video with Edie Sedgewick.
    That's probably it. Will Young would sound ridiculous trying to copy Jim Morrison
  • Jose version is not bad but the Doors has that great keyboard running through it.

Doors for me.
  • What Eddie Firmani said.

Got to be the Doors.
  • Feliciano. The Doors sound like Vic Reeves doing an impression of Nick Cave
  • McBobbin said:

Feliciano. The Doors sound like Vic Reeves doing an impression of Nick Cave

I so want to flag this.
  • The Doors. No contest.