Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Once again, Charlton fans are being blamed for the sacking of Curbs

Comments

• Sacked? What a load of shit.
  • What an astoundingly inaccurate article. Looks like the author has decided that 11 years is long enough for his readers to forget the actual circumstances, leaving him free to rewrite history to fit around his dull Southampton story.

Give it another 5 or 6 years and we'll be able to read his thoughts on Alex Ferguson's outrageous sacking for failing to win the Champions League in his final season at Man U.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story or, for that matter, a boring non-story.
  • "The notion of Charlton Athletic sitting in the top half of the League 1 table now sounds farfetched,"

Got that bit spot on though

More likely......
  • Curb_It said:

Sacked? What a load of shit.

After the season finished as well apparently.
  • "The notion of Charlton Athletic sitting in the top half of the Premier League table now sounds farfetched,"

Give Roland time he's working on it
  • "The notion of Charlton Athletic sitting in the top half of the Premier League table now sounds farfetched,"

Give Roland time he's working on it
    Yeah.... the Ryman Premier!!
  • Fake news...
  • What a load of bollocks
  • edited June 2017
    DFT was the worst offender!
    He's a regular on 'the forum that may not be mentioned' these days.
    As for the article.....total and utter bollox!
  • Sponsored links:

• The article has been changed, but still says "within a few weeks" and mentions the "dismissal of Curbishley".
  • 'Within a few weeks of our most successful premier league season ever.'

The writer of that article should be banned from ever posting anything again on the entirety of the World Wide Web. Prat.
  • Someone give him a copy of Curbs' autobiography.......doesn't need to read it all - just the 1st chapter where Curbs tells why he left OF HIS OWN VILITION.
  • 'The dismissal of Curbishley proved to be the moment an entire club’s modern history pivoted'.

HE WAS NOT DISMISSED but it was the moment we pivoted.

The rest is rubbish. Someone is stealing a living writing that piece.
  • As I point out time and time again when this shite comes up just because many of us said he'd got us as far as he could doesn't mean we wanted rid of him or that we thought anyone else could do better.
  • Great responses from the fans though.
  • The only person CAFC fans want sacked is Graham Ruthven. Reason: Spreading total lies & talking the biggest load of Bullsh#t.
  • OK I'll own up my previous statement is not totally correct the reporter is not the only person we want sacked, there is a couple of current club employees we would like to get rid of.
  • Very sloppy journalism.

Curbishley left because he did not want to sign a new contract. He emphatically was not sacked.

Had he suggested that Curbishley chose not to continue because he was discouraged by fans' dissatisfaction then he may have had a point to debate.

Plenty on Netaddicks argued Curbishley has taken us as far as he can and said that they were fed up with boring midtable premiership football and the only voices on the Phoneins were negative too.

All I'll say for myself is that I was always completely pro Curbs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kap10 said:

LenGlover said:

Very sloppy journalism.

Curbishley left because he did not want to sign a new contract. He emphatically was not sacked.

Had he suggested that Curbishley chose not to continue because he was discouraged by fans' dissatisfaction then he may have had a point to debate.

Plenty on Netaddicks argued Curbishley has taken us as far as he can and said that they were fed up with boring midtable premiership football and the only voices on the Phoneins were negative too.

To be fair Curbs told me at the sponsors evening the following evening that he'd been sacked nicely. He had expected to have seen out the last year of his contract before moving onto pastures new. When he sat down with Murray, Murray wanted him to sign an extension and he refused, so Murray changed the conversation to discussing his contract termination compensation. You could argue it was a mutual termination, but as Curbs wanted and was willing to see out his last year, I'd say it was one of the nicest sacking in football, reflecting the type of club we were in those days.
    Non the less it was Murray's decision albeit based on Curbs only to wanting to see out his contract, not the fans.
  • It's all ifs, buts, and maybe

but................it is possible to argue that Curbs was unlucky in the season when we had a chance of going for European qualification sabotaged by the Scott Parker transfer window disruption when Parker was 'not in the right frame of mind' to play when Chelsea came calling,
    Also (if I remember correctly) we were at least one one place above Chelsea in the Prem table at the time.

Like@LenGlover I was always pro-Curbs and simply relished our time in the Prem. That term 'taken us as far as he can' became fashionable around that time but now many Prem clubs are now falling over themselves to find managers who will simply keep them in the division?

Given his record, I am surprised that Murray didn't try much harder to keep Curbs on board. Obviously, he thought he could find better elsewhere and brought in.................oh yes........Iain Dowie!
  • Kap10 said:

LenGlover said:

Very sloppy journalism.

To be fair Curbs told me at the sponsors evening the following evening that he'd been sacked nicely. He had expected to have seen out the last year of his contract before moving onto pastures new. When he sat down with Murray, Murray wanted him to sign an extension and he refused, so Murray changed the conversation to discussing his contract termination compensation. You could argue it was a mutual termination, but as Curbs wanted and was willing to see out his last year, I'd say it was one of the nicest sacking in football, reflecting the type of club we were in those days.
    In other words it was Curbs choice to leave. Murray decided the timing. I don't think I would describe that as a sacking. Legally though it is a contract termination.
  • Murray by that point had obviously gone be full ego mode Shame those that were saying the nonsense of curbs taking us far enough didnt realise and instead moaning about curbs moaned about Murray
  • Murray by that point had obviously gone be full ego mode Shame those that were saying the nonsense of curbs taking us far enough didnt realise and instead moaning about curbs moaned about Murray

Murrays worst decision ever. It was the first of many, but our demise started at that moment.
  • It's all ifs, buts, and maybe

but................it is possible to argue that Curbs was unlucky in the season when we had a chance of going for European qualification sabotaged by the Scott Parker transfer window disruption when Parker was 'not in the right frame of mind' to play when Chelsea came calling,
    Also (if I remember correctly) we were at least one one place above Chelsea in the Prem table at the time.

Like@LenGlover I was always pro-Curbs and simply relished our time in the Prem. That term 'taken us as far as he can' became fashionable around that time but now many Prem clubs are now falling over themselves to find managers who will simply keep them in the division?

Given his record, I am surprised that Murray didn't try much harder to keep Curbs on board. Obviously, he thought he could find better elsewhere and brought in.................oh yes........Iain Dowie!

I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 seasons before Curbs left. Murray stated at a fans meeting he wasn't worried if Curbs went, we would be surprised by the mangers that would be interested in managing Charlton.

He got one thing right, I was surprised, certainly not the quality of premiership manager he was suggesting.
  • Curbishley was sacked
  • I can fully understand Murray's decision to not want Curbs seeing out the last year. The board was about to allow spending the most transfer money it ever had and understandably thought that it didn't make sense to let Curbs spend it only for him to go next season and another manager coming in and wanting his own players. In hindsight it was the wrong choice but I can accept the reasoning behind it at the time.
  • Curbishley was sacked

Oh no he wasn't.
  • redman said:

Kap10 said:

LenGlover said:

Very sloppy journalism.

In other words it was Curbs choice to leave. Murray decided the timing. I don't think I would describe that as a sacking. Legally though it is a contract termination.
    You say tomato, I say .....