Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton station destroyed by fascist bomb

today in 1944

"The Booking Office and ancillary buildings of Charlton Station were completely destroyed on 23rd June 1944, when it received a direct hit from a V-1 flying bomb, killing four civilians, including Mrs. Newick, the wife of the signalman, who lived in the station house. As a result, the whole station was demolished and remained as a collection of temporary buildings until 1967, when the station was rebuilt into the style we see today. "

http://blitzwalkers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/charlton-se7-london-suburb-at-war.html

@Tom_Hovi

Comments

• Fascinating stuff. Thankyou.

I discovered that the house that I grew up in, number 53 Kinveachy Gardens in Charlton was very badly damaged by a bomb that fell and completely destroyed a number of the terraced houses opposite, where there now stands a small bolock of flats in isolation to the rest of the street.

The house in Colomb Street Greenwich where I spent age 0 - 5 years was also damaged by a blast that destroyed the houses just two doors away.

Must have been terrifying times.

I discovered that the house that I grew up in, number 53 Kinveachy Gardens in Charlton was very badly damaged by a bomb that fell and completely destroyed a number of the terraced houses opposite, where there now stands a small bolock of flats in isolation to the rest of the street.

The house in Colomb Street Greenwich where I spent age 0 - 5 years was also damaged by a blast that destroyed the houses just two doors away.

Is a small bolock of flats another way of describing igloos?

Bit warm for them in Charlton though :wink:
  • Well I never knew that , good work Henry you should work for a museum

I wish someone paid me to do that!
  • LenGlover said:

Fascinating stuff. Thankyou.

a typo worthy of the BBC news channel

Interesting stuff, @ShootersHillGuru. My mother was evacuated from a number in the 50s or 60s in Kinveachy Gardens in the war. They got out before the bomb came down. She didn't tell me much about it but it was a scary night because I think they stayed in one of the houses that got flattened a couple of days before rather than going to a shelter.
  • My old man got a bit close to a V2 that landed in/near Sherard Rd in Well Hall apparently.

Was working in a coal shop near the old Well Hall station.....woke up in the back room when he last remembered being in the front of the shop.
  • My Grandparents lived in Days Lane Sidcup. My great grandmother was standing with her back to the window, tending to my Mum, who was in her cot, when a V2 landed round the corner in Berwick Crescent. The windows got blown through and my GG had her ear cut but shielded my mum from all the flying glass. Apparently they took her to a first aid post in Days Lane but when they saw the state of some of the people who had been nearer the blast, came back later.

My Grandad was drinking in New Cross (The Amersham Arms I think) when the V2 hit Woolworths. Told me he'd never seen anything like it.
  • edited June 2017
    My mother in law was a young girl during the war and she recounted the fear of hearing the doodlebug then it falling silent - seconds later an explosion. It could have been dropping on you! They were built by jewish slaves who often paid with their lives and it is a disgusting period in history - but the person responsible, Von Braun, who knew about the associated atrocities was let off by the Americans and along with fellow Nazi rocket scientists, played a major part in America putting men on the moon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bloody Europeans....

;-)

The varying degrees of damage to the houses in Kinveachy Gardens are shown clearly in this book. Not a cheap book but fascinating. Looking at the maps and then comparing on Google Street View is fascinating (if, like me, you need to get out more).

www.amazon.co.uk/London-County-Council-Damage-1939-1945/dp/0500518254/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1498224791&sr=1-2&keywords=london+bomb+damage+maps
  • My Grandparents lived in Days Lane Sidcup. My great grandmother was standing with her back to the window, tending to my Mum, who was in her cot, when a V2 landed round the corner in Berwick Crescent. The windows got blown through and my GG had her ear cut but shielded my mum from all the flying glass. Apparently they took her to a first aid post in Days Lane but when they saw the state of some of the people who had been nearer the blast, came back later.

My Grandad was drinking in New Cross (The Amersham Arms I think) when the V2 hit Woolworths. Told me he'd never seen anything like it.

If you're meaning the Woolworths on Deptford High St, my Dad remembered that getting hit.
  • I didn't know this story, when I saw the title of the thread my heart sunk in my chest for a moment in light of recent events. Thanks for the knowledge @Henry Irving
  • Thought the EDL had attacked the station for a moment :-)
  • Thought the EDL had attacked the station for a moment :-)

Ridiculous comment
  • LenGlover said:

Bloody fat fingers.

Not as terrifying as the thought we probably went to the Robert Owen nursery at the same time.
  • Will Southeastern be using this as an excuse next week.

'Train services are subject to delay and cancellation due to a bomb at Charlton station in 1944'.
  • LenGlover said:

I assumed it was a critique of postwar architecture ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Hither Green station has some interesting stuff on the walls in the tunnel that leads up to the ticket office, with regards to local history....pubs, rail crashes and WW2 are some of the subjects mentioned.
  • During the war, there were loads of factories along the lower road in Charlton.
    British ropes, Stones, Johnson & Philllips all of which were making goods for the war effort.
  • If the Germans could not destroy our spirit how do RD and KM think they can succeed?
  • During the war, there were loads of factories along the lower road in Charlton.
    British ropes, Stones, Johnson & Philllips all of which were making goods for the war effort.

My Grandad worked at Stones, he had a reserved occupation (engineer). He was told that if the Germans invaded he would be sent to Canada immediately.