Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England T20 series Vs South Africa

Could see a thread for this.

SA won the toss and elected to bat, currently 37/3 after 5 overs @ Southampton.

Opening bowlers both got wickets with their 1st deliveries.

Comments

• Mason crane about to bowl his q
    1st over for England.
    Wish him luck
  • 68 for 3 after 11 overs.
    Considering Dr villiers has been in for ages this is very good by England
  • Forgot about this starting today. They've certainly got perfect weather for an evening match!
  • Great spell from Dawson only 17 from his 4 overs
  • The pitch is supposed to be be decent according to James Taylor. SA being strangled. 39 dot balls in the first 18 overs!
  • 142 innings closed
    Great bowling by England
  • That was like watching OCCC vs Catford & Cyphers a couple of weeks ago
  • (I'm sure @AshBurton will appreciate the ABDV comparison) ;)
  • Got to think England will chase this down fairly easily if the pitch is as good as the pundits suggest it is.

Thought Crane bowled well on his debut along with Dawson.
  • Leuth pour yourself a large one and watch Roy take them apart.
    I bet you a pint I'm right. :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• A shame ABV is playing this inconsequential T20 series, but won't be playing the Tests that follow
  • Looks like the Roy of old has turned up today, 28 from 13 balls.

England 45/0 after 4 overs
  • Jinxed him, Roy out for 28

That's about as many runs as he made in the entire Champion's Trophy....

Thanks for that

Thanks for that
    It's a shame as he was looking good, but there was no real need to play the shot he attempted.

Use the next 2 matches to get himself back in form properly just in time for the one day final!
  • Not much of a contest for all those who bought tickets really.
  • Didn't need to get out of 2nd gear, don't think I've seen SA play that bad before.
  • Didn't need to get out of 2nd gear, don't think I've seen SA play that bad before.

They weren't great in the CT or in 2 of the 3 ODIs as well
  • Leuth said:

(I'm sure @AshBurton will appreciate the ABDV comparison) ;)

If @PaddyP17 is Viv Richards, I'll take ABDV any day of the week - even a slow-scoring version.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good result today. Both spinners bowled well. Nice to win it only one down and with plenty of time to spare.

Hopefully TC in for Jordan on the next game.

Not sure I'd try Malan or Livingston, they seem so far down the pecking order that we are unlikely to need them...
  • Roy lost his place to Bairstow in the ODIs. What chance that he might ultimately do so in T20s too?
  • Roy lost his place to Bairstow in the ODIs. What chance that he might ultimately do so in T20s too?

I don't think it's likely at all. I think that the management see Bairstow as best in the middle order. I also think they see Roy as the long term opener in limited overs cricket.

They want him to do exactly what he did yesterday. Go hard from ball one and give us positive momentum. Get us ahead of the run rate from ball one and so take the pressure off the rest of the order.
  • Was Root rested yesterday?
    How was Mason Crane? Very interested in this boy.
  • Was Root rested yesterday?
    How was Mason Crane? Very interested in this boy.

Crane bowled well as did Dawson against a rather subdued ABV.
  • Obviously not to do with T20 but I see Hameed's summer toil goes on with a duck for the Lions. In 10 innings in the CC he is averaging less than 20 this season. Funnily enough he is averaging almost 40 in the Royal London but he hasn't been opening in this comp.
  • Obviously not to do with T20 but I see Hameed's summer toil goes on with a duck for the Lions. In 10 innings in the CC he is averaging less than 20 this season. Funnily enough he is averaging almost 40 in the Royal London but he hasn't been opening in this comp.

Been sussed ?

Been sussed ?
    He's only 20 (3 years younger than me, to the day). That would be a bit harsh to say - struggles do happen early on.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Obviously not to do with T20 but I see Hameed's summer toil goes on with a duck for the Lions. In 10 innings in the CC he is averaging less than 20 this season. Funnily enough he is averaging almost 40 in the Royal London but he hasn't been opening in this comp.

Been sussed ?
    He's only 20 (3 years younger than me, to the day). That would be a bit harsh to say - struggles do happen early on.
    You have to be an extreme talent to never have a period of bad form - but hes a good player - he'll come back stronger.
  • Tom Curren makes his debut