Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro U21 Championships

Apologies if I missed the thread on this, but I couldn't see one so thought I'd start one for those who are following . England kick-off vs Sweden shortly.

Do we think they can build on the Toulon tournament success, and emulate the U20s, or are we staring down the barrel of another disappointing English tournament performance?

Also, anyone know if the game is on the radio anywhere or available through any web streams (radio commentary that is - I'm at work so can't really watch unfortunately)? I may be being stupid but it doesn't look like it is on either 5Live or Talk Sport.

Comments

• I'm excited to see how Tammy Abraham gets on. They pulled him from the under 20's to make the step up.

I think we have a good chance to make the final this year
  • I'm excited to see how Tammy Abraham gets on. They pulled him from the under 20's to make the step up.

I think we have a good chance to make the final this year

Gonna be difficult... They've expanded from 8 to 12 teams so now its only the three Group Winners and one second placed team that advance to the semis
  • Couldn't find any commentary, but for the live text on BBC doesn't look like I am missing much.
  • Pickford has just saved a pen...
  • Poor performance. Striker was isolated.

Too negative.
  • On the bench we had Gunn and Targett. The fact that they didn't both come on and score is the biggest disappointment for me.
  • Spain won 5-0 tonight. Their scorers were Saul who's got senior caps and been a regular at Atletico for 3 seasons, Deulofeu who has senior caps and a number of appearances for Everton, Sevilla and Milan in the past 3-4 years and Asensio who got a hat trick, who's also got senior caps and recently scored in the champions league final.

If any of those 3 were English they'd be in our senior squad and deemed 'too good' to go back to the under 21s.
  • 2-1 win over Slovakia.

We were 1-0 down at half time and looked woeful. Did well to turn around and win.

Top of the group on 4 points and we play Poland on Thursday 7:45PM.

On course to sneak out the group but I can see a repeat of 2009 when we got to the final and got destroyed by Germany.
  • I did see am old line up going back to 2000 - contained 5 players who either did or subsequently did play for us. (Weaver, Luke Young, Danny Mills, Danny Murphy, Franny Jeffers)
  • edited June 2017

2-1 win over Slovakia.

We were 1-0 down at half time and looked woeful. Did well to turn around and win.

Top of the group on 4 points and we play Poland on Thursday 7:45PM.

On course to sneak out the group but I can see a repeat of 2009 when we got to the final and got destroyed by Germany.

We'll do well to get that far. If we win the group we play a best placed runner up (could be Portugal or Italy) or the winner of group C (likely to be Germany). If we don't win the group, then we might not even make the semis.
  • Sponsored links:

• What if we finish second on 7 points - would that be better?

That's not possible, if we get 7 points we'll win the group.
  • Watched alot of yesterdays match, was very unimpressive especially the first half. Abraham didn't really get in the game, Redmond was hit and miss until the second half.

Watching the u20's they looked in better shape and probably a couple for example like Lookman who wouldn't have looked out of place. I would be very surprised if we go all the way.
  • Jordan Pickford is probably the only one of the squad who might sneak into the World Cup squad for Russia. Cannot see the rest of them stepping up in the next year.
  • edited June 2017

Jordan Pickford is probably the only one of the squad who might sneak into the World Cup squad for Russia. Cannot see the rest of them stepping up in the next year.

Wouldnt be surprised if Redmond does, he looks the only one with enough about him. Certainly rather him in the squad than Lingard or Walcott.

Yeah sorry had forgot about that Poland equaliser. So if I ask it correctly who do we play should we be the best second place finisher?
  • Jordan Pickford is probably the only one of the squad who might sneak into the World Cup squad for Russia. Cannot see the rest of them stepping up in the next year.

agreed, i was thinking the same there isn't really many who look on the verge of breaking through but maybe thats as we as England often promote our youngsters anyway eg. Rashford

Personally don't feel Redmond is international quality either, maybe Mawson isn't far off.

Yeah sorry had forgot about that Poland equaliser. So if I ask it correctly who do we play should we be the best second place finisher?
    Winner of group B (so probably Spain)

Wouldnt be surprised if Redmond does, he looks the only one with enough about him. Certainly rather him in the squad than Lingard or Walcott.
    Redmond shows glimpses of quality but he struggles with consistency!!
  • Sponsored links:

• The only other player who is really highly rated is Rob Holding. Very surprised that he hasn't used Rob Holding in any of the matches so far.

I know Southgate rates Chalobah highly but he hasn't impressed me at all in either of the matches.
  • The only other player who is really highly rated is Rob Holding. Very surprised that he hasn't used Rob Holding in any of the matches so far.

I know Southgate rates Chalobah highly but he hasn't impressed me at all in either of the matches.

Dont you mean Boothroyd?
  • edited June 2017

The only other player who is really highly rated is Rob Holding. Very surprised that he hasn't used Rob Holding in any of the matches so far.

Dont you mean Boothroyd?
    No, I mean Southgate. He's been speaking in the press about how he can play an important role in the England first team.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/jim-holden/812696/Gareth-Southgate-England-Scotland-World-Cup-qualifier-Nathaniel-Chalobah-Dele-Alli/amp
  • James Ward-Prowse looked a very good player yesterday. I was also impressed with Jacob (I think) Murphy when he came on and played out of position. Thought they played well in what was a struggle against a not very strong team.

Redmond shows glimpses of quality but he struggles with consistency!!
    He'll fit in perfectly with the seniors then
  • I'm pretty sure Holding , Pickford and Ward Prowse will all play regularly for the 1st team
    Ward Prowse isn't anything that special yet but our lack of depth in midfield should see him given a decent chance
  • Laddick01 said:

I'm pretty sure Holding , Pickford and Ward Prowse will all play regularly for the 1st team
    Ward Prowse isn't anything that special yet but our lack of depth in midfield should see him given a decent chance

Ward Prowse uses the ball well and has excellent set piece delivery. Not saying he;s superstar I think he's one of those players that many of our continental neighbours would value more highly than we do.
  • edited June 2017
    England have been pretty bad 3/4s of the time. But the second half against Slovakia was very good.

The first match was awful. Just lump it forward into the channels for Tammy Abraham. When they were in the final third it was get crosses into the box for Abraham (marked by three players) and maybe Lewis Baker or Nathan Redmond getting in.

They played more football last game. Jacob Murphy was excellent. I'd never seen him have a good game before, but he came on and was good defending and provided a really good outlet going forward.

The only other player who is really highly rated is Rob Holding. Very surprised that he hasn't used Rob Holding in any of the matches so far.

Dont you mean Boothroyd?
    No, I mean Southgate. He's been speaking in the press about how he can play an important role in the England first team.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/jim-holden/812696/Gareth-Southgate-England-Scotland-World-Cup-qualifier-Nathaniel-Chalobah-Dele-Alli/amp
    I rate him very highly. I think he's suffered massively from the Chelsea habit of loaning young players out continuously. I first saw him at U17 level for England along with JFC, Cousins, Redmond, and Raheem Sterling. Him and Sterling were considered the biggest prospects at the time. He has all the tools. Athletic, good on the ball, two footed, good range of passing. He was on loan at Napoli last year I think it was but struggled for opportunities. There's clearly a player there, but he needs first team football to grow.

I think Callum Chambers has been quietly excellent. I didn't watch much of Boro last season, but apparently he was very good on loan there. And he was highly rated 3-4 years ago coming through at Southampton, he just went to Arsenal and his career stalled.

Abraham also looks a player. He's one that's been talked about for a while, and scored for fun with Bristol. He looks comfortable with the ball at his feet, which makes the whole lumping it forward to him even more frustrating. He's a part of that U-20 group but was promoted for this tournament.

Think Ward-Prowse has been decent. He uses the ball very well, but his positioning can be a little all over the place. Agree that he will play a fair amount for the senior team.

I think that U-20 group is a more technically gifted one, particularly in central midfield where you have Maitland-Niles and Onomah who both look like the ball is tied to their feed, plus Lewis Cook and Ejaria are quite tidy.

Lastly then I'll shut up, I've never been hugely convinced by Aidy Boothroyd. As mentioned earlier, I think his teams have played three bad halves of football and one good one, which means that this afternoon's game will be key obviously because of the result but also because of the performance. He has to find a way to get Baker involved. On his day Baker is the pick of this lot in terms of creativity. He's been nigh on non-existant in part because the ball goes from back to front so quickly.

Oh, and for realsies lastly this time, Spain have all the inevitability of that Germany 2009 (Neuer, Howedes, Hummels, Boateng, Ozil, Khedira) team. Not only are they good at this level, but you feel like you're watching the heart of the national side for the next decade.
  • edited June 2017
    1-0 at half time.

Gray with a brilliant goal. Slovakia are winning so anything other than a win would probably result in England going out.
  • edited June 2017
    The half-time Nivea advert made me want to puke. "We can protect you from everything". Well, except a scouse accent of course. Other toiletries are available. Some of them don't give your hard-earned to the bin dippers. Choose wisely.