Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chinese Super League clubs face caps on spending after 'burning money'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38524429

Maybe sanity is returning, at last.
A spokesperson for China's General Administration of Sport said clubs in the country were "burning money".

The spending was also described as "a grave phenomenon" in a question and answer session on the organisation's official website on Thursday.

The spokesperson added that the government body would "strengthen examination and supervision of clubs' financial affairs, progressively control clubs' expenditures on first-team players and ensure favourable financial conditions".

Comments

• The problem with a Chinese equivalent of FFP is that you won't ever attract big names to boost the reputation of your league without it.

It's kind of like spending £100,000 on marketing when you only have sales of £50,000. It's all about boosting the future revenue by raising awareness. An established league system like ours should have FFP. Maybe China shouldn't if increasing their league's status is what they want. Besides, I think their leader is keen on football?
  • Huskaris said:

The problem with a Chinese equivalent of FFP is that you won't ever attract big names to boost the reputation of your league without it.

It's kind of like spending £100,000 on marketing when you only have sales of £50,000. It's all about boosting the future revenue by raising awareness. An established league system like ours should have FFP. Maybe China shouldn't if increasing their league's status is what they want. Besides, I think their leader is keen on football?

Their other issue is (quite rightly) the fact there is a limit on the foreign players allowed

Each club (16) are only allowed four foreign players plus one Asian player and as you can see from the below link, there are only three more spots available in the whole of the League

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Chinese_Super_League#Foreign_players
  • There are some impressive (or at least well known) managerial names in China as well

Scolari, AVB, Poyet Stojkovic, Pellegrini, Magath, Cannavaro

I
  • Sounds like a few heads are going to roll................literally!
  • This may be the end of ridiculous transfers to China.

"Chinese Super League clubs face a 100% tax on signings as their mid-season transfer window opens on Monday.

The country's Football Association (CFA) is proposing the measure for loss-making clubs in order to try to curb the league's extravagant spending.

Chinese clubs spent £331m during the country's winter transfer window, which was more than their English Premier League counterparts in January.

The proceeds from the tax would go into a government-run fund.

If enforced, the measure would in effect double the fee for any player."
  • Saw a clip from a news program and it seems a sensible thing to do. It pointed out there was no real infrustructure in place and more action was needed to encourage youngsters to play and be coached properly.
  • Looking at the Chinese Super League teams, no team has more than 5 imports in their first team squads, with some having only 3 or 4. Not all are big money superstars either.

Whilst I agree that the money they are spending is insane, they have to offer that or no player would take them seriously.

In terms of encouraging youngsters, I think that having some big name/marquee players in China, actually would do that.
    I'd have thought that the kids would want to see some big names, thus encouraging them to take a bigger interest in the game.

I don't see it as much different from the MLS with their marquee signings over the years (Beckham would certainly not have been cheap), or even places like here in Aus' with the A-League & marquee signings, & way more people taking an interest in the game (The PL is very popular here too though, & plays a part).

I think the real problem in China would be if the majority of their squads are from overseas, & the homegrown players were not getting chances. Thinking about it, I think English football is in potentially more trouble than China in that regard!
  • Stefco said:

Looking at the Chinese Super League teams, no team has more than 5 imports in their first team squads, with some having only 3 or 4. Not all are big money superstars either.

Whilst I agree that the money they are spending is insane, they have to offer that or no player would take them seriously.

In terms of encouraging youngsters, I think that having some big name/marquee players in China, actually would do that.
    I'd have thought that the kids would want to see some big names, thus encouraging them to take a bigger interest in the game.

I don't see it as much different from the MLS with their marquee signings over the years (Beckham would certainly not have been cheap), or even places like here in Aus' with the A-League & marquee signings, & way more people taking an interest in the game (The PL is very popular here too though, & plays a part).

I think the real problem in China would be if the majority of their squads are from overseas, & the homegrown players were not getting chances. Thinking about it, I think English football is in potentially more trouble than China in that regard!

After all the spending, i think they brought in a new rule that a club can only have 3 imports in a matchday squad.
  • Didnt really want to create another thread yet China U20s entering the German Fourth Tier... Good thing Carl Zeiss Jena got promoted!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40366059
  • Didnt really want to create another thread yet China U20s entering the German Fourth Tier... Good thing Carl Zeiss Jena got promoted!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40366059

Apparently they won't be proper members of the league itself, and the matches will be classified as friendlies. Still bizarre, with shades of Checkatrade Trophy...
  • Sponsored links:

• Newly promoted Dalian have just signed Nico Gaitan and Yannick Carrasco from Atletico Madrid!

Gaitan is 30 so i can understand that, but Carrasco is 24 and in 2016 scored in the champions league final. What a waste of a career moving there at that age.

Dalian also signed Jose Fonte this week too so clearly have big plans.
  • Newly promoted Dalian have just signed Nico Gaitan and Yannick Carrasco from Atletico Madrid!

Gaitan is 30 so i can understand that, but Carrasco is 24 and in 2016 scored in the champions league final. What a waste of a career moving there at that age.

Do you think Carrasco's three year £26 million deal had anything to do with it?
  • bobmunro said:

Newly promoted Dalian have just signed Nico Gaitan and Yannick Carrasco from Atletico Madrid!

Do you think Carrasco's three year £26 million deal had anything to do with it?
    It's not as if he was on minimum wage at Athletico though! A World Cup year too, I can't imagine the Belgium manager Martinez will be over impressed
  • The fee for Carrasco is stupidly low, they've only paid something like 25-30m for him. And the company that own Dalian are also investors at Atletico. Something dodgy going on there surely.
  • Apparently Usain Bolt is announcing what club he’s signing for tomorrow

Wouldn’t surprise me if it was a Chinese club. Plastic league trying to buy a football culture. Tevez’ whole stay there shows what a complete irrelevance the whole thing is.

Carrasco will do what he feels is right for his own situation but any top international in their prime that goes over there isn’t serious about his profession imo
  • Amazed that Carrasco has gone there
  • For Carrasco - it's likely a significant pay rise and one that would only have been offered to him by a Chinese club. I understand it. However, the CSL needs to understand that it can't buy itself credibility immediately.

Maybe - and this will take what, 10/15 years - seeing stars like these guys in China will inspire a new footballing generation, but even then, I don't think overmuch is going into the grassroots and youth games. Here's hoping I'm proved wrong, and we see a good footballing culture take place, but I doubt it.
  • And now on the last day of the window Beijing Guoan have signed Bakambu from Villarreal for..........just the £65m!!
  • And now on the last day of the window Beijing Guoan have signed Bakambu from Villarreal for..........just the £65m!!

I hope the money they are paying him is worth it... looking at their team, they look pretty ordinary really
  • edited February 2021

Chinese Super League champions Jiangsu FC - who have the same owners as Inter Milan - have "ceased operations", the club said on Sunday.

Jiangsu are the reigning Chinese champions after winning their first league title in November 2020.

"Even though we are reluctant to part with the players who have won us the highest honours, and fans who have shared solidarity with the club, we have to regretfully make an announcement," Jiangsu FC said in a statement.

"From today, Jiangsu Football Club ceases the operation of its teams."

Suning chairman Zhang Jindong, said: "We will focus on retail business resolutely and without hesitation will close and cut down our business irrelevant to retail."

Madness. Imagine your team being champions of the country and then folding just a few months later.

• Sponsored links:

• Saw that this morning, absolutely baffling - Would be a little worried if I was an Inter supporter
  • Shocking. A bizarre way for the owners to act, surely it would have made more sense to sell the club straight after they won the title and were at their peak

Unless the parent company has suddenly hit financial trouble?
  • I did wonder why they wouldn't just try to sell the club. Folding them seems bizarre.

Inter will be ok though, they're a huge name in world football so will always be someone willing to buy them.
  • Or the owners have cleaned their money already so just fold the club now and walk on.... I doubt there are many checks on funds etc....
  • edited February 2021
    Any out of contract centre halves?