Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

National Mourning

Can any one please explain to me why it is we have four major incidents in this country and we all have is a minutes or two's silence to remember the poor souls who have lost there lives or been affected by it. Yet in other countries they have at least a day of national mourning and Portugal have just declared three days after this tragic firein their country.

Has our government got it so wrong again!

Comments

• Can any one please explain to me why it is we have four major incidents in this country and we all have is a minutes or two's silence to remember the poor souls who have lost there lives or been affected by it. Yet in other countries they have at least a day of national mourning and Portugal have just declared three days after this tragic firein their country.

I think if the government had got it wrong then people would be quick to say that.

I haven't heard anyone calling for national days of mourning for these events and others have said I'm not sure what that would mean in the UK.

Other countries have different cultures and traditions and if a three days of mourning is deemed appropriate for Portugal then I think that is fine.

Events her are postponed, such as the mansion house speech, when deemed inappropriate.
  • Aren't they reserved for the deaths of renowned individual(s)?

As far as I can tell, the last we had was for Winston Churchill in 1965. It lasted three days. No doubt they have them for ex-monarchs as well.

Frankly, I'd rather not. Where do you stop? How do you resolve conflicts about whether such and such was "worthy"? Better to not start that sort of debate in the first place IMO.
  • Am I correct in thinking one would be called for the death of the reigning monarch
  • Yes Cabbles your quite correct one would be called if the Queen died. The last one we had was on the death of Princess Diana
  • What does such a day achieve?
  • Just sounds like a bit of a formality to me. No doubt we'd have one for the queens death but other than that what's the point.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think a sincerely observed minute is right. I don't know what more one could do to show respect.
  • Can any one please explain to me why it is we have four major incidents in this country and we all have is a minutes or two's silence to remember the poor souls who have lost there lives or been affected by it. Yet in other countries they have at least a day of national mourning and Portugal have just declared three days after this tragic firein their country.

All to do with money
  • I thought the whole Diana thing was mawkish, unpleasant and ridiculously sentimental. It was also tarnished by persistent criticism of the royal family and became a sniping contest. And that didn't really have any kind of political dimension.
    A day of mourning now would be riven by political point scoring, and the rabble rousers would use it as an opportunity to smash up retail units once again. Best left well alone.
  • everyone can mourn in their own way, or not at all. we don't need to be told what to do

anyone who needs to be instructed to mourn by the state probably isn't that bothered anyway and is just going to spend the extra day off down the pub- not necessarily a bad thing but I'm not sure the government should be criticised for not encouraging it
  • I've never really been into the idea of National Mourning days. But then I'm also pissed off by the relatively recent phenominum that everyone who dies now has to have some sort of street memorial with flowers and flags. Usually with some crap like "only the good die young" written. It's just a faux effort of public grief that it seems people now feel they need to do, especially if they can post a pic on social media showing what great mourners they are. Maybe I'm just an extreme pessimist when it comes to death issues and mourning.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

What does such a day achieve?

I would plan to achieve nothing. In the pub.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

What does such a day achieve?

A spot of fishing would not go amiss?
  • Out here in the UAE, they do days of mourning for high profile deaths.
    2015 was a big year for it - There was a 3 day mourning period out of respect for the Saudi King in the January, then in September there were another 3 days for Emirati soldiers killed in action in Yemen. This was followed two weeks later by another 3 (or maybe 5? I can't remember) days because Sheikh Mohammed's (ruler of Dubai) son, Sheikh Rashid died.
    As expats, these mourning days don't affect your life much, except that all the radio stations are only allowed to play dreary, but respectful Arabic music. I'm not sure whether Emirati folk do anything particularly different during these periods, but I didn't see anything!
  • Sponsored links:

• Apparently when the Queen dies, the BBC won't show any comedy for a week?
  • The Queen's death will trigger an official 12-day period of national mourning.

Union Jacks will be flown at half mast throughout the country and books of condolence will be opened at embassies across the world.

The London Stock Exchange will be closed for at least the day of the Queen's funeral and potentially for several days.

If the Queen dies during the night, her death will not be announced until 8am, after which her portrait will be displayed on BBC tv screens accompanied by the national anthem.

The BBC will also suspend all comedy programming during the 12-day period of national mourning.
  • Chizz said:

The Queen's death will trigger an official 12-day period of national mourning.

Union Jacks will be flown at half mast throughout the country and books of condolence will be opened at embassies across the world.

The London Stock Exchange will be closed for at least the day of the Queen's funeral and potentially for several days.

If the Queen dies during the night, her death will not be announced until 8am, after which her portrait will be displayed on BBC tv screens accompanied by the national anthem.

The BBC will also suspend all comedy programming during the 12-day period of national mourning.

Sounds like a good idea 15 years ago but nowadays 10 seconds after her last breath it'll be all over Twitter.
  • clb74 said:

Can any one please explain to me why it is we have four major incidents in this country and we all have is a minutes or two's silence to remember the poor souls who have lost there lives or been affected by it. Yet in other countries they have at least a day of national mourning and Portugal have just declared three days after this tragic firein their country.

All to do with money
    What a load of old tosh. Nothing to do with money & you know it. We are British & we do things the proper way. We don't go round throwing ourselves onto funeral pyres or banging our heads with rocks (ala Munity on the Bounty).

What do you do during 3 days of mourning for pete's sake. Close down all the factories, shops & offices & weep at home. Jeez - what a load of pathetic nonsense.

• We're still in a period of mourning in Thailand following the King's death last October. Only another four months to go.
  • Chizz said:

Sounds like a good idea 15 years ago but nowadays 10 seconds after her last breath it'll be all over Twitter.
    So Miranda's okay then
  • Chizz said:

ITV will not carry any adverts for 3 days after her death.
  • Chizz said:

Miranda must be relieved she can still be broadcast during the mourning period then.