Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2017 Confederations Cup

Starts today, lack of football means I'm more excited for Russia vs New Zealand than I should be.

All games are on ITV4 in the UK

As far as predicting a winner goes I'd favour Chile or Mexico over Germany or Portugal personally.
Germany have more of a 2nd string team and Portugal, despite winning the Euros last year are still very hit and miss.

Mexico priced at 10/1 are underrated in my opinion but I'm picking Chile to win it.

Comments

• Isn't this Chiles fifth summer tournament in a row ? Must be shattered by now!
  • 2014 - world cup
    2015 & 16 - Copa america (won both)
    2017 - Confederations cup
    2018 - World cup
    2019 - Copa america

Sanchez will have about 200 caps by the time he retires.
  • Shame that Australia and New Zealand werent paired in the same Group, that would be a great game to watch for rivalry reasons
  • Been a pretty dire game so far. Russia the better team but not really threatened that much.

I've got Chile to win it as well. Germany taking their B-team, Portugal uninspiring in the Euros but Chile haven't got the best record away from their home country lately either.

Might be a decent opportunity for Mexico to surprise a few.
  • Welcome to the best Confederations Cup thread on CL Callum
  • 2-0 Russia
  • That Ryan Thomas is the kind of player I'd love us to sign.
  • Bit pissed off with how the commentators have spoken about New Zealand for the majority of the match... Fair enough they're not the best but its taken them until the 80th min to admit that their opposition are usually amatuers from the Pacific Islands so how do they improve?
  • edited June 2017

Bit pissed off with how the commentators have spoken about New Zealand for the majority of the match... Fair enough they're not the best but its taken them until the 80th min to admit that their opposition are usually amatuers from the Pacific Islands so how do they improve?

Not to mention the majority of European Nations are supposed to be better but we've seen more attacking intent from New Zealand than we ever saw from most at the Euros including Russia!!
  • Ronaldo starts up front for Portugal. Live on ITV.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fancy Mexico to win this one.
    Portugal don't have the quickest defenders, Hernandez and Vela will enjoy that.
  • 1-0 Portugal. Rebound off a ridiculous Ronaldo volley.

VAR being looked at for offside...
  • Offside given. No goal.

0-0.
  • 45 second wait, right decision made. On we go with the game.
  • This Portugal side is proving how bad the Euros were last year with the increase to 24-teams... Look worse than Russia
  • 1-0 Portugal now. No chance of offside there. Goal stands.
  • edited June 2017
    1-1. Clinical Hernandez. Good game building.
  • 1-1... Mexico deserve that, understand why Steve says that they're dark horses to win the thing
  • Still think Man United made a mistake letting him go. So clinical in the box
  • .....apart from when he puts chances 15 yards over the top
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2017
    2-1 Portugal with 5 mins left. Another VAR review. Decision upheld.
  • Mexico equaliser in added time!
  • Been a good game this. The last 20 minutes of each half especially
  • More importantly... Do they warm up before the game
  • Health warning for those tempted to watch Cameroon v Chile... Iain Dowie is doing commentary!!
  • VAR rules Chile goal out for offside.
    Close one
  • Chile goal ruled out for offside by VAR.
  • edited June 2017
    Marginal call but right call.

In real time I understand benefit of the doubt going to the attacker but with replays you're either offside or you're not.